Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Unfortunate with my K-r

I just purchased a new K-r less than a month ago and love it......until...... Thanksgiving, pop in the fully charged factory battery in and the camera starts freaking out, the mirror is openning and closing everytime I press any button will not shoot or do anything except click/clack/click/clack..... now I'm freaking out and my wife is looking at me going $600 ?????. I turn it off/on, take the battery out (somehow in my head I'm rebooting the camera) well, nothing works until I take my 18-55 DA lense and pop in my K1000 manual SMC 28mm. The camera starts working fine. Pop in the DA, starts up again.

I read forum posts and there seems to be a "double flip mirror" issue. From all the reading I did, it seems that the consensus is the root cause being that the factory battery "over charges" and sends the camera into the pit of confusion. Seems sending the camera to Pentax for fixing doesn't really do anything.

My next step is to buy the AA adaptor and some eneloops (1900 mAh). Anyone can offer further advice on this solution I don't want my wife to say "Nikon" again....

11-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your next step should be to thoroughly clean the contacts on both your camera body and lens. That it's only happening with your kit lens suggests that faulty contact is the issue. Also check your AF/MF switch, and make sure it's set to one or the other. If it's left in between, the camera can freak out.

The K-r doesn't generally suffer from the K-5 mirror flop issue, and that issue wasn't actually caused by an overcharged battery, the battery was just the catalyst for producing the issue. Pentax has been quite good about fixing the K-5s with this issue, and the fix is in the body, not the battery or charger.

If all else fails, by all means send it in, or if you bought it from somewhere that allows for this, exchange it for another in-store and let them deal with sending it in.
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much Philoslothical!

The camera was bought from B&H so I'm sure they'll refer me to Pentax. I associated the issue with my K-r as I found a post that included a YouTube video with a white K-r doing the mirror dance, the owner shows the K-r with the factory battery flipping the mirror and then he changes to the AAs and it stops.

I will start w/ your suggestion before purchasing anything. Thanks again.
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a good idea to have the AA adapter anyway, get a off brand

Hans

11-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
gtl
Veteran Member

send it in. get it fixed.
11-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!.

I cleaned the contacts on both the camera and the lenses. The 18-55DA made the camera freak out but when I put in the 50-200DA the camera went back to normal. After shooting 25 pics the camera seemed ok BUT............... when I do playback to see the pictures, parts of the photos in the LCD screen started blinking , amazingly enough, it only does it for pics taken with the kit lenses, pics taken with SMC 50, 135, or 28 display fine.

I'm going to see if I find anything about that and most likely send the camera in for repairs....what a bummer.....
11-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The blinking probably indicates areas that are over / under exposed. It's something that you can enable / disable in a menu; time to read the manual
11-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The blinking probably indicates areas that are over / under exposed. It's something that you can enable / disable in a menu; time to read the manual

Thanks sterretje!

NO, NOT THE MANUAL !!!!! I was shooting indoor last night as I tested and there was a lot of underexposure going on.... thanks again !!!

11-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like you've narrowed it down to a faulty 18-55 kit lens. You might want to test the body with a couple other lenses, if you don't have any a local camera shop would probably be happy to help you out (especially if you buy something). You might get away with just sending in the kit lens, so you're not deprived of your camera so soon. I'd talk to Pentax about it first though, they may insist you send it all in.
11-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it and feel very welcomed to this family.

I will go to my local camera store and test the body with other lenses (they are going to flip when they see me with the Pentax as they know me as the "120 guy" because of all the medium format film they process for me when I shoot with my Bronica).

Thanks again !
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #11

I had an experience like this with a used lens from B&H. Everything looked great until I tried to shoot, then a spastic rapid flopping of the mirror, along with a mechanical thwack that sounded like the mirror hitting an obstruction. I changed the battery, re-mounted the lens, cleaned the contacts, then finally exchanged it for another used lens (Sigma 70-300) at B&H... happiness ever since.

The K-r has a few quirks and sometimes you have to work around some weird design decisions (in-camera HDR, but only if you hold the shutter down--not possible to use with the wireless remote, for example) but day after day I find the K-r is a joy to use.

Good luck with your lens situation!
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well, my beloved K-r is finally "flipped".... lol ...... the issue is now happening with every lens - M's,A's, DA's - so I called Pentax and the camera is going in for service.... I am so sad..... 3-5 weeks turnaround.... so much for holiday season pictures......

Also... my 50-200 kit lense.......... huge spec of dust inside...... going in as well....

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your input and help..............
12-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cuadrado , sterretje itīs right, blinking undersposure areas itīsetup on menu

12-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks wax and sterretje , got that taken care of ! the camera is going in because the mirror keeps flipping up & down - first it was with one of the kit lenses only and now it's every lens.... 3-5 weeks turnaround...... thanks again.....