Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

K-r video audio problem - last 10 seconds of file

I've had my K-r since August, and while I don't use it much for taking video, I have noticed an issue with all the videos I have shot. At the very end of the file, probably the last 5-10 seconds, the audio cuts out while the video is still playing. It works fine and sounds fine throughout the clip until just the very end. I have the most recent firmware version. Does anyone else have this problem?

12-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Just checked mine and I have no problems with any of my video clips. Have you tried a different/higher classed SD card?
12-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm using a Transcend Class 10 card, I do have another card so I'll test it and see if that makes a difference
12-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use only transcend Class 10 card and done many video on my K-5, no issue at all

Also is this after you transfer on a PC , if it's the case , you have a codec problem . Try a different video reader

12-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

I think the problem is in the video player you are using.

I would use QuickTime to play back the .avi MotionJPEG files our cameras make.

Apple - QuickTime - Download and watch videos, movies, and TV shows.

It sounds like the video is falling behind the audio when you are playing back, this is usually caused by too slow of a PC, you need at least a dual core processor for most high definition playback.
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. I am getting a new much more powerful laptop for Christmas so I will give it a try on that using quicktime and see if that helps
12-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I've just remembered I run all my clips through MP42AVI converter as I get issues with static on my video audio when playing back on some softwares (there's a thread on the K-5 forum about it). There appears to be some unusual in-camera processing that effects the indexing of the audio. You could try that and see if that fixes your problem, it doesn't alter the video in anyway (if you select no encoding in the advanced settings) but whips through the clip very quickly and reindexes the audio. Works for the audio static issue very well but it may be worth a try for your problem also.

I use a class 10 Transcend card without issue, the (16gb) card however was subject to a recall of some batches around the time you bought yours so you may want to look into that - Transcend Class 10 SDHC Media Recall - Personal View Talks
My guess though is it's a playback issue on your computer, rather than a camera recording error. You could confirm that by playing the files on the camera to check the audio. If the clips play back fine in camera you can pretty much be sure the card and camera are fine.

Last edited by K-rrr; 12-03-2011 at 09:08 AM.