Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

Ordering my KR tomorrow...:)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Okay...I waited long enough...$709 from amazon with free shipping seems to be the best deal I'm gonna find for the kit lens....heading to NZ on the 13th so I can't wait much longer. Gonna grab a hood off ebay like you guys suggested....all I need to do is grab an SD card...will get that off Amazon too...loked at the Transcend and the Sandisk...read reviews until my eyes bled...think i'll go with the 16 sandisk for 27 bucks....before I pull the trigger, is the one one to get...figure I'll ask actual KR owners since that's the camera it will be in...

SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (SDSDRX3-016G-A21)

Oh, one more thing...is this a good hood and do i need a separate lens cap for it or does the one that comes with the camera work? thanks again from a real newbie....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-MCUV-Lens-Filter-Hood-Pentax-55-300mm-f-4-5-8-/...ht_2478wt_1398

Or is this solid style better? It say for the DA stye, which isn't the one i get in the kit so I guess I'll have to find a non DA...right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PH-RBG-58mm-Lens-Hood-Pentax-DA-55-300mm-F4-5-8-ED-d...ht_3167wt_1165

Last edited by emulsify; 12-02-2011 at 08:08 PM.
12-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase, it's a great camera, as you know. I'm thinking you got the two lens kit with the DA-L 55-300 since those are the hoods you link to. Just want to be sure, since the 18-55 needs a 52mm hood.

As for which type, I'd probably go with the second, more cylindrical one. It should be OK at the 55 end, since it's marketed for this lens, and it'll give better protection from flaring.

As for memory cards, just about any genuine name brand class 10 card should be just fine. I stress the word genuine because there are so many counterfeit ones around, particularly on Ebay (not too sure how reliable Amazon is for these). A fake one will under-perform. This is one of the few items I'd go out of my way to buy from a reputable brick and mortar shop.
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That second hood will work just fine Hoods for the DA and DAL versions are the same.

Congrats!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The San Disk makes a difference, I've used others in the K-r and its the fastest. So, if you are going to do any burst photography or HDR or anything where write time makes a difference then the few extra $s for it are worth it in my experience. Amazon is fine to purchase your SD cards.

I'd also suggest that you get an extra battery or the AA adapter and some Eneloops (my preference).

Best of luck!

12-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys!
12-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd also suggest that you get an extra battery or the AA adapter and some Eneloops (my preference).

Best of luck!
I took your advice and got one of these....

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I like the idea of using AAs if need be bit I rarely do any Man vs Wild stuff where I I can't get to an outlet to charge them...but if I ever win a Safari, I'll grab the adapter and some eneloops...:ugh:

I also grabbed two lens hoods off ebay...I did some research and most here opt for the plastic one for protection, but for 3 bucks, I had to try a rubber one too...

Last edited by emulsify; 12-03-2011 at 07:47 AM.
12-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
BTW, I found this amusing...it was sent to me right after my hood purchase..i wonder what the price of a warranty would be on a 3 dollar rubber hood...

"Get a Warranty now to protect your recent purchase.

You recently purchased the following eBay item, 58mm 3in1 rubber lens hood for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Tamron Sigma, for $2.80.

Your eBay seller wants you to know that BuyShield provides excellent warranty coverage to protect any new, used, or refurbished items at a savings of up to 70%!

Click the blue button to get an instant warranty price quote online."

12-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Glad I got it when I did....just checked amazon and it's now 749.00 I got the kit for 709....
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gratz. Have you received it already?
12-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'm waiting right now....UPS tracking says it's out for delivery....

On a fluke, I went downstairs to get the mail and there it was sitting on top of the mailboxes...I'm a little peed off at UPS...someone could have easily nicked it....oh well, at least I have it and I just unpacked it....I'm like a kid at Christmas....

Last edited by emulsify; 12-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.