Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which lenses support catch-in-focus on K-r?

I recently got my K-r, it was maybe the best buy (except for that time in South America.....but that's another forum) I ever made. Aaaaanyway, I want to try out the catch-in-focus feature. The instruction manual (yes, I read it. I paid for it!) says that an FA or DA lens is required for CIF to work. Will a Tokina or Tamron lens work or do I have to have the Pentax lens.Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

12-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any modern KAF2 or KAF3 lens should work (in other words, pretty much every third-party autofocus lens for Pentax), I think, but I'm not 100% sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure you can also use much older, manual lenses with CIF as well, as long as you short the data contact (bottom one when looking at the camera mount).
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can use CIF with any [Manual Focus] lens that fits on the Kr; you can also use CIF with some (or most) auto focus lenses that fit the Kr with some trickery.

12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Almost any lens can be made to work with CIF.

Modern AF lenses : switch to M (and to MF on the lens body if it has a separate AF/MF switch) but leave shooting mode as AF.S and away you go.

Contact-less mounts such as conversions to a Pentax mount, Tamron Adaptalls and M42 lenses with adaptors : perfect, set to Av, Tv, TAv (they will all revert to Av) or M . I use Zeiss / Cosina / Mirrors and M42s that way.

So yes your Tokina and Tamron lenses will work with CIF.
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Forgot to note: Plastic Flanges (a few out there) and Powder Coated Flanges (takumars) will not allow CIF without shorting the contacts on the body - aluminum foil works fine for this...
12-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I sanded the anodizing off mine.

12-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I sanded the anodizing off mine.
That is good with lenses and adapters (macro, T2, wide-flange M42-PK, etc) with anodized or painted bases. Many M42 lenses with bases wide enough to cover the contacts just need a bit of cheap metal ductwork tape. However, do NOT use the tape on PK-mount lenses and adapters, as its thickness can cause them to jam onto the mount. Sanding the anodizing or paint works much better and is much safer.
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A huge thank you to all who helped. I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to spend limited resources (doubler? lens? which ones? fast prime? long? close-up? filters?) and the answers help in my decision making. It so happens that I was in a thrift store yesterday and there was a Tokina 80-200mm manual lens so I gambled $20 on it. It works! (One of the reasons I chose the K-r was its ability to use older lenses.) Now I'm off to play. Thanks again!
12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I was in a thrift store yesterday and there was a Tokina 80-200mm manual lens so I gambled $20 on it. It works! (One of the reasons I chose the K-r was its ability to use older lenses.) Now I'm off to play. Thanks again!
Congrats! One thing to keep in mind: SR gets tricky with old manual zooms. In bright light (like midday around Vegas), no problem -- just leave SR off. But if you're shooting in dimmer light where SR can be a butt-saver, you have a choice.

1) Set SR to the focal length you're using. If you zoom a lot, this can get tedious.
2) Use a compromise SR setting. On an 80-200, it's about 114mm. 120mm will do.
3) Leave SR off and use a tripod. Beware of zoom creep with those old push-pulls.

Now you can start haunting thrift & pawn shops, garage & rummage sales etc for fine cheap old glass. The slippery slope to LBA, you-betcha. For guidance, take a look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html