Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

He seems to think that he's doing a public service by badmouthing the brand, not even limiting the sniping to the tungsten issue. I'm getting a bit fed up with this guy. He's carrying on in 4 or 5 topics I watch with the same thing, over and over. This isn't what the forum is designed for.

Pentax doesn't read this board (or not much, anyway), nor care about criticisms on it. He's got his money back, he's changing systems away from Pentax. So all he's accomplishing is annoying the people that spend time here for constructive purposes, and using our responses to it to further fuel his whining. That is trolling.

12-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #32

The thread title invited users/owners to express their opinions. I have done that and if that's upset anyone then I can't really help that.
It is not trolling I'm simply giving a honest view on things, I'm not creating multiple threads (not created a single thread anyway) I would hope potential buyers are fully aware of the issues with this body, hence opinion expressed

There are no anger issues either, but some folks seem determined to make as many excuses for Pentax as possible. None of them are convincing in any way though. Yes I have my K-r returned, but I have glass that needs a body too. Saying it's not an issue multiple times is just as interesting as saying it is..I'm not really sure what motivation the above poster has bar defending the brand.
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #33

It seems that the K-r definitely suffers from quality control issues. I'm thinking of buying one, but I would like the auto focus to work in various types of light. Maybe I'll sit back and see what Pentax releases in the K-r's place.

The OP raises excellent points. Pentax deserves to be criticized over defective cameras. So would Nikon or any other company. Before I hand over my hard earned cash, I want to be confident that the camera I'm buying will work as stated. There are too many excellent competitors out there for any company to overlook problems with its equipment.
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
It seems that the K-r definitely suffers from quality control issues. I'm thinking of buying one, but I would like the auto focus to work in various types of light. Maybe I'll sit back and see what Pentax releases in the K-r's place.

The OP raises excellent points. Pentax deserves to be criticized over defective cameras. So would Nikon or any other company. Before I hand over my hard earned cash, I want to be confident that the camera I'm buying will work as stated. There are too many excellent competitors out there for any company to overlook problems with its equipment.
Well, all I can say is I own one. I'm quite happy with my images in both bright and low light conditions and don't consider my copy to be defective in any way.

12-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #35

My advice to Mass Wine Guy is simply this by all means try it out but if you have problems return the body and get a refund. If you're looking for the issue you will find it pretty quickly. Low light is not the problem it's the kelvin temp that is and in that range boy does it have problems.

If you can hang on I'd hope that the next batch of bodies is free from this issue. The fact Pentax even admit it (via support) is rather telling in itself. Maybe a firmware update will arrive (seems to be a bit late though) but it's a shaky purchase if you shoot a lot in this type of light. In every other way almost the K-r is a fantastic camera great spec, decent build, nice buffer, appealing colours, extensive customisation. I wanted to like this camera a whole lot and in many ways I did. But the AF problem was a major issue for me, for some it might be only a minor one.

So long as you are aware of this that's all that is needed. Better to make an informed choice with information that is useful than to have a problem instantly. Had I known about this issue I would not have bought one
12-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Had I known about this issue I would not have bought one
I gotta wonder, why didn't you do your research like you're telling others to do? I knew about this issue prior to buying mine back in June, weighed the importance of it, compared it to issues that the other systems and models I looked at had, and went for it anyway. As I've said before, I've had no issues with this, even the handful of times I've had to shoot under low tungsten light. If I did, or do in future at some point, I have no issue with switching to manual focus for that particular moment.

Yes, potential buyers should do their research, and should definitely be aware of this issue, but you're way, way overstating the severity and importance of it for most people's purposes.

And btw, low tungsten light is the most problematic for this issue. Brightly lit scenes are supposed to be somewhat to much better.
12-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #37

Thank you, Mr. Spocko. I think I will wait for the new camera.
12-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
And btw, low tungsten light is the most problematic for this issue. Brightly lit scenes are supposed to be somewhat to much better.
Gee, I don't think it's asking too much for a camera costing several hundred dollars to work accurately in all types of commonly encountered lighting.

12-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

This has been a pretty common issue across multiple models and brands. If you think entry level (or better) Canons or Nikons have no issues, you'll have another thing coming. I don't know of a perfect DSLR.

That said, if this issue is a big deal to you, don't buy it. I've said that before, too.

FWIW, I don't argue with this guy to pressure anyone into buying a camera, I argue with him because he's making a mountain out of a mole hill (for most people, anyway) - and it's all he does on this site.
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
Gee, I don't think it's asking too much for a camera costing several hundred dollars to work accurately in all types of commonly encountered lighting.
Almost all cameras are affected to some degree by these issues. Sure the k-r struggles more than others under 1 uncommon light source, but don't for a second think all other makes and models are 100% in all conditions, they aren't.
12-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #41

It's not a mole hill if you shoot a lot in this light it's a very serious issue for the K-r. The focus is so far off it's well beyond a bit of front focus it's massive. In the EU low kelvin lighting is very common you will encounter frequently. Yes I should have done more research but what is done is done it's down to the maker to ensure they have a product that is fit for use. It's true Pentax are far from being the only maker to have problems, but this is by far the most severe I've ever seen.

And speaking for myself my previous bodies could AF no problem in this light so it's completely misleading to suggest "all makers" suffer from this. The K-x was fine is this light, it's the new AF module that has a problem, one which Pentax have not bothered to fix.
12-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #42

Just because it isn't overtly obvious OOF doesn't mean it's 100% fine, you run the k-x on a focus chart under the light in question?

And yes you should have done your research, I don't know why your still going on about it. Any buyer with half a clue as to how to research a new purchase would find this issue in under a minute, even without all your posts (I did and bought way back anyway). I live in Aus so for me, it is nothing more than a molehill, and I'd imagine that the case for most in the U.S too.
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #43
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my K-R for a little over a month now. Mine has now developed the mirror issue. I can't take more than about 2 pictures before the mirror hangs up and has to be reset. I have been waiting to send back to Pentax until now so that I could have it for Christmas. Love the pictures it takes, but the quality is suspect. The responsiveness of the 4-way buttons on the back of the camera are a recurring problem as well. Sometimes I have to press the button 3 times to get it to register. As for the mirror issue, it seems to have something to do with the kit Pentax lenses. If I remove the lens and release the shutter, the mirror resets itself. Also, I do not have this problem with my Tamron lens. I will be sending back to Pentax this week. I hope it gets fixed.
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've been with my K-r for 3 months, and my pop up flash died (not my fault). But for me, thats really ok. I already bought a external flash, so... In my opinion, go for it.
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #45
Forum Member

A balance?

Just to provide a balance, I have not had any problems with my K-r. Yes, you will say that it happens when you shoot in tungsten. And maybe it does. I can't reproduce it on my particular K-r. For Mr. Spocko, maybe your three bad ones came from the same bad batch since you exchanged at the retail level. All I'm saying is that I come across a lot of people who don't have a problem. And in turn I recognize that some people obviously do.