Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love my Kr, the e dial issue came and went by itself in about a week, no FF even with my DA-35 f2.4 No mirror issues with any of my lenses, old, new, manual or Auto focus. It's a joy to shoot about 5000 shots to date

Hans

12-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #17

Just to convey this to folks FF only shows in tungsten low kelvin light. In other light you won't get FF.
If you shoot the 35mm f2.4 in tungsten lighting you will def get FF as you will with any lens

I exchanged 3 bodies at the camera shop every one has FF in low kelvin light
12-12-2011, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-r but I have encountered FF issues at times. The first time was straight after I read about them and tested the camera within an inch of its life. Then I was depressed. After that I started taking it out and taking photos and discovered that it was better at focusing than I was. I still check each lens for FF and some do and some don't and usually I simply use live view or adjust for the difference I know is there. Low-light focusing in tungsten light is hard work anyway. In the end I simply decided that my K-r was a beautiful camera that didn't do everything perfectly. The biggest issue is finding that there is something not quite right with the wonderful new gadget you just paid for. After that, it gets better.
12-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #19

I've had my Kr for about 9 months now. So far I havent encountered any issues whatsoever, apart from some caused by my inexperience. Many issues come about due to settings, and you cant always have perfect photos using standard settings. It takes really good photos, sharp and with excellent colour reproduction.

So far so good. But if I start developing problems, I think I will move onto Canon. Just seems to be too many problems with Pentax cameras, even the top end. Seems they are too hasty to get them into production without adequate testing. I think the pressure was on the engineers to start competing and doing it quickly or we are going to go bust. I wonder if Ricoh will have the sense for better quality control and adequate testing. Mind you when you buy a Canon, you probably become just as aware then that they also have problems.

12-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #20

If you rarely if ever shoot in low kelvin light you won't see the issue at all with FF on the K-r. I didn't for a few weeks, but I shoot a lot in these conditions so it turned up pretty quickly for me.
Part of the problem is testing, the other issue is not fixing a known problem, and Pentax support are next to useless here of no help at all simply a lame standard email and a link to their global site in the vague hope something might turn up some time to help out. I hope something does arrive but it's over a year since launch and not really a good sign of a company taking the issue seriously.

K-r is a camera I like a hell of a lot it's a great body in many ways, but this problem is a big one for me I think I'll be returning my K-r to get a refund I'm sick to death of the FF problem.
12-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ispriluc Quote
using only rechargeable batteries and opening the camera to clean the excess of lubricant, in order to fix the other two issues, is too much for me.
Why on earth would you *not* want to use rechargeables? You like throwing money away on disposable batteries, or you think the landfills aren't full enough?
12-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #22

I have never had any problems. It is a great camera, that can produce fantastic images, and is compatible with so many old glasses...
If for some reason your camera has issues, you can just exchange it, but i don't think it's likely to occur.

I have posted a picture in the newbies thread for you to see. Kit lens, not even an expensive one (I did use a CPL filter)

12-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #23

You cannot exchange it I tried 3 bodies. All have a flaw for AF in low kelvin light. Even Pentax admit it via email contact.
They cannot repair it either spoke to their service can't repair it design flaw. Only the vague promise of some firmware update (evidently appearing for the last 10 months)
I'd love to say the K-r is great and it is..until you shoot in low kelvin light with phase detect AF.

If you don't shoot in this light you won't see the problem
12-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #24

Funny, I haven't experienced tihs problem yet, but I'll be sure to really test it during christmas. A rarely shot in tungsten lighting yet, so i might also have this problem. I'll keep you updated if anyone's interested.
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
You cannot exchange it I tried 3 bodies. All have a flaw for AF in low kelvin light. Even Pentax admit it via email contact.
They cannot repair it either spoke to their service can't repair it design flaw. Only the vague promise of some firmware update (evidently appearing for the last 10 months)
I'd love to say the K-r is great and it is..until you shoot in low kelvin light with phase detect AF.

If you don't shoot in this light you won't see the problem
Why don't you just return it and ask for a refund? Maybe the Kx or the K5 would be a better choice for you
12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #26

I never understood the front focusing problem. This may be because I use manual lenses indoors and my auto zoom telephoto outdoors only in sunlight. I had the K-X and immediately upgraded to the K-R; no regrets. I love the 6fps (for pets), the expanded iso range, (for nighttime photography) the easy and quick live view (so sue me, I use live view sometimes) and the general ease of use of the camera.

I have four lenses for my camera not including stock lens while my Canon user buddies have 1; the stock lens. They say it's because the other lenses are too expensive. For what I paid for all four of my lenses they can get one decent lens.
12-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
Why don't you just return it and ask for a refund? Maybe the Kx or the K5 would be a better choice for you
I had a K-x and that worked fine I should have kept hold of that model if I had known about the K-r problems.
I did get a refund after a while so I will now look at something else (non Pentax)

Pentax support suggested I buy a K-5, but I can't really buy a product from a maker who sells me a defective one! Nice try from them but no cigar.
I only have a basic grasp on the problem tech wise the new Safox unit is defective and prone to serious accuracy problems in this light. The K-x used the older (better Safox) AF which did not have such problems. Least most of my K-x shots were just fine for AF regardless of light.

Pentax obviously messed up and were not that keen to admit it or help users out.
12-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #28

I had a K-x and that worked fine I should have kept hold of that model if I had known about the K-r problems.
I did get a refund after a while so I will now look at something else (non Pentax)

Pentax obviously messed up and were not that keen to admit it or help users out.
Well, it sounds like they sent you three different bodies, took each one back when you returned them and then gave you a refund. What other help did you want from them?

I think it's too bad you had that experience and all but I don't think they handled the situation any differently than Canon or Nikon would of. My friend has been shooting with Canons for 20 years now and from what I gather, they handle things pretty much the same way.

What more do you want from them?
12-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #29

Bodies were exchanged at the retailer not from Pentax. Pentax did nothing bar send me a boring standard email that said there was no fix for the problem. Their service agent said they could not fix it.
What I expect is a company to find a fix for a problem, or not to sell a faulty product. Seems neither of those mattered to Pentax very much.
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #30

Bodies were exchanged at the retailer not from Pentax. Pentax did nothing bar send me a boring standard email that said there was no fix for the problem. Their service agent said they could not fix it.
What I expect is a company to find a fix for a problem, or not to sell a faulty product. Seems neither of those mattered to Pentax very much.
Well, typically a manufacturer will develop an OS release to correct a bug-if they can.
I am a Network Engineer for a very large corporation and work with lots of vendors who manufacturer LAN, WAN, SAN devices such as routers. switches, servers, software, as well as hand held devices for wireless networks. It is pretty commonplace for bugs to appear post product roll out. If they can fix the problem with a new release and the development costs for it make sense, they will always do so. If not, that is what the warranty is for. And your retailer would have used that manufacturer warranty. It sounds like you got your money back and there has been a resolution.

So, why are you still yelping the company? I think it is perfectly appropriate to yelp a company multiple times if they refuse to resolve an issue. But you have been refunded. So to continue to yelp them over and over again, frankly, at a certain point looks like one of two things:

• You are sincere, but may have a little anger-management issue with this.
  • You are not sincere and are what is referred to in the blogosphere as a little bit of a Troll.

Last edited by Drom; 12-25-2011 at 04:05 AM.