Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Changeable focus screen on K-r?

I am considering moving to K-r from K100D, and need to know definitively whether one can replace the focusing screen to improve manual focusing, as I replaced it on the K100D and would like to re-use it. The camera comparison screen here on the forum says no. Thanks in advance

12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't reuse it, but you can indeed replace the K-r screen. Perhaps you can sell the one from your K100D to recoup some of the cost.
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks- good to know!
12-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

WOW! so there's a way to improve the screen? are we talking about a much better view on the viewfinder here? cause I'm a newbie and I just got my k-r 2 weeks ago, I think the k-r's viewfinder does not satisfy my needs when it comes to focusing with my manual lens.

12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Screens for Kr

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
WOW! so there's a way to improve the screen? are we talking about a much better view on the viewfinder here? cause I'm a newbie and I just got my k-r 2 weeks ago, I think the k-r's viewfinder does not satisfy my needs when it comes to focusing with my manual lens.

I have both KatzEye & the K3 (Nikon) screen from focusingscreen.com for my Kr. They do improve MF accuracy slightly but I am not sure it worth the cost, especially on the $100+ KatzEye.
12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I might just get a second hand k20d if it's gonna be that much for that upgrade.
12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hman what focusing screen did you use on your old k100d? and what are you planing to use on the k-r?

12-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll get back to you later- have to locate the box it came in.
12-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I might just get a second hand k20d if it's gonna be that much for that upgrade.
If your talking about the screen and going from K100D to K20D, K10D/K20D have a different screen from K100D/K100D Super/K110D/K200D/K-r/K-x

see Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You can't reuse it, but you can indeed replace the K-r screen. Perhaps you can sell the one from your K100D to recoup some of the cost.
See above, the Katzeye's are the same for K100D and K-r so it should work. Any reason why not? Maybe you're mistaken with the K10D/K20D versus K7/K5 ?
12-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

So wait, are there directions on how to replace the screen? I would very much like a screen similar to my old film SLRs, even it won't 'split' like they used to, I'd say it is a huge improvement over the minimal screen in my K-r.
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For K100D, purchased from jinfinance on ebay. Model is "Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen K100D K200D DL. Not sure about the K-r if and when I get it; looks like the one I have may not fit K-r. Will need to research that. Comes with tools you need to install. There are multiple threads about this topic, including a pictorial tutorial (try saying that quickly five times) that is very helpful. Search the forums, and here's one I saved:

142241-best-screen-ever-manual-focus-canon-ee-s-7.html. I think the 142241 might be the thread?
12-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
See above, the Katzeye's are the same for K100D and K-r so it should work. Any reason why not? Maybe you're mistaken with the K10D/K20D versus K7/K5 ?
Definitely possible I'm mistaken on that. There's contradictory information out there (and most of it is from focusing screen vendors). Katzeye lists those models together, every other site I've seen splits them up. I'd say ask Pentax, or someone at Katzeye, before buying one (especially from other vendors, as one that isn't listed for the K-r on the vendor site isn't going to get much support if something goes wrong).

I'd also search about potential shimming issues for the one I planned to buy. It would be best to have a few on hand before installing, a 0.2mm and a 0.4mm especially (unless you don't mind DIY with a bit of tape or something).
12-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I changed the screen on my Km because I was not able to quickly focus with manual lenses, I found it was also a good in focus indicator for auto focus lenses, the little hex below the screen is impossible to see with glasses. I chose not to change the screen on my Kr because of the red in focus indicators on the screen work with both manual and auto lenses for quick focus times. When I use a manual lens for macro or other critical focus times I use the complete screen not the split image. I have been very happy using the Kr with stock screen for auto and manual lenses.

Hans