Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The recent change of position that stocking Walmart signifies is pretty big. One of the beefs that retailers had with Hoya was that they had to pay up front for stock, and I saw at least one post mentioning there being a significant minimum investment required. Small retailers can't afford to do that on a brand that might not sell, obviously.

Walmart however, to my knowledge, refuses to pay up front for anything they sell. It's all worked out after sale. So if Walmart has Pentax products now, Pentax/Ricoh must have reversed their position.

Speculation and conjecture, and I'm basing a lot of this on information I've just read in other posts, but it is a very interesting development. If I'm right on this, it could mean Ricoh will open up to a lot of the smaller retailers that used to carry Pentax back in the day. That's even wilder speculation, of course.

12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
One of the beefs that retailers had with Hoya was that they had to pay up front for stock, and I saw at least one post mentioning there being a significant minimum investment required.
I spoke with the owner of one camera shop who used to carry Pentax. When Hoya took over he would have had to purchase over a year's worth of inventory at one time in order to stay a dealer. He dropped the line because he could not take the risk of being stuck with inventory when the next model came out.

I find it really hard to believe but it appears Hoya had no idea how retail works, at least in the USA, as I have no experience anywhere else. In the industry I work in (not electronics) it is common to order and take delivery 6 to 8 months before having to pay for the inventory. If you have done your job properly the inventory is sold long before you are required to pay for it. Not saying that is right or wrong, but if other brands offer those terms then why would a retailer carry your product if they have to pay up front? I personally think it is a testament to the quality of the product and the loyalty of the user base that Pentax survived at all.
12-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neoyeti Quote
I like the colors. I don't like that they are at Walmart.
I feel the same way. I mean I really wish it would create greater interest in the brand, (for what ever reasons) but I have some dislike, stereotypes and disappointments with shopping at Walmart as well.
12-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Only to those in NA. The only colours available here are black, pink and white. (seen some reds via grey import). I'm happy with my white, and the colour ultimately doesn't matter, but it's nice to have more options.
Specifically only in America, not NA. Walmart Canada does not have this deal (Walmart Canada doesn't even list Pentax on the webstore) No loss AFAIC because I don't and won't shop Wallmart

12-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The recent change of position that stocking Walmart signifies is pretty big. One of the beefs that retailers had with Hoya was that they had to pay up front for stock, and I saw at least one post mentioning there being a significant minimum investment required. Small retailers can't afford to do that on a brand that might not sell, obviously.

Walmart however, to my knowledge, refuses to pay up front for anything they sell. It's all worked out after sale. So if Walmart has Pentax products now, Pentax/Ricoh must have reversed their position.

Speculation and conjecture, and I'm basing a lot of this on information I've just read in other posts, but it is a very interesting development. If I'm right on this, it could mean Ricoh will open up to a lot of the smaller retailers that used to carry Pentax back in the day. That's even wilder speculation, of course.
Walmart terms are brutal for the supplier. Essentially they pay you about 90-120 days after they have already sold the product in many cases. it's bankrupted a few small vendors who didn't think through selling to walmart.