Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #1

KR available in 9 different colors from Walmart

I just noticed that walmart has the Pentax KR available in 9 different colors on their website for $699.95 with kit lens and 50 bonus prints. Kinda makes my Stormtrooper white KR look sorta bland! The only other place i have seen any colors is on EBAY at a very expensive price.

12-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax announced this last month: "PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION just announced that the K-r digital SLR will soon be available exclusively on Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. in limited edition colors including pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, navy, metallic brown, gold and silver. "

See this thread for some history on this.
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Price drop!

$649 for that or $689 for a kit with bag, 16mb card, and camera clip system!

Walmart.com: Pentax K-r DSLR Camera Holiday Value Bundle: Digital Cameras
12-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

I like the colors. I don't like that they are at Walmart.

12-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neoyeti Quote
Why not? It's a good thing. The more mainstream outlets that Pentax gets their product in, the better their visibility, the better for all of us in the long run. I've seen several very promising signs of this happening since the Ricoh acquisition, and this is definitely one of them (another was when they plastered the front page of the NYT website with Pentax ads recently).
12-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Why not? It's a good thing.
Only to those in NA. The only colours available here are black, pink and white. (seen some reds via grey import). I'm happy with my white, and the colour ultimately doesn't matter, but it's nice to have more options.
12-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigh......

and now they have the color I wanted when I got my K-r almost a year ago.

Silver, not because its some sort of ultra special 'Limited' edition but because I really like the look.

Oh well.

12-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's a good thing, maybe one of these days I might be able to touch a Pentax before it comes from UPS or Fed X

Hans
12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neoyeti Quote
They sell Nikon and Canon at Walmart too. If it's good enough for them I've got no complaints.
12-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, this just keeps getting better. Not only do you get the K-r, kit lens, and case logic bag (along with a no-name brand 16gb card) but you also get the Camera Capture System for $689. The Camera Capture System is something like $79 at Amazon by itself.

The Capture can be used with any camera that has a standard tripod-mounting hole (1/4", 20 threads-per-inch). The Capture was designed to be used for carrying bulky SLR cameras, but it can also carry smaller point-and-shoot cameras. Capture is designed for any photographer — professionals, amateurs and hobbyists — who need to keep their camera secure and accessible. Capture is especially handy for active photographers who need to carry their camera while hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, paddling, camping or other extreme physical activities. Capture can also be useful for anybody who needs to carry a camera and keep their hands and neck free, such as parents with small children. Professionals who use multiple cameras in a shoot will find it provides them with the "third hand" they are always looking for.

Capture Camera Clip System:
  • Camera Clip holds any camera
  • Attaches to any strap or belt
  • Quick lock release
  • Omni-directional locking action
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They sell Nikon and Canon at Walmart too. If it's good enough for them I've got no complaints.
It may refer to that some of us do not approve of Walmart's mode of business , not that Nikon or Canon are sold there too.
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That much I'd wholeheartedly agree with. Walmart is a particularly horrible business. Weighing that against the increased visibility for Pentax and the benefit to the brand from that... I have to think it's worth it, at least temporarily.
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

WalMart is odd - K-r's vary in pricing A LOT based on color

White = $699 for body and 18-55 kit lens
9 Assorted Colors = $599 for same
Black = $799 for same

Holiday Bundle = Kit with Body in 1 of 9 colors, 18-55,Centon 16GB SDHC 4 Memory Card w/ 50 Bonus Prints,Capture Camera Clip System (sells for $75 at Amazon), and Case Logic High Zoom Camera Case = $689

Just odd.
12-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
On the subject of more visibility for Pentax. When i 1st considered switching over to Pentax i looked at Bestbuy's website and they only carried maybe 15 lenses for Pentax. As of a couple of days ago they were showing 34 lenses for Pentax. I am not sure if thats the exact number as i was at work and kept being interrupted by people wanting me to do my job while i was trying to count. I am unsure but i think Walmart is also carrying more Pentax stuff as well. I think this bodes well for the future of Pentax.
12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will be a long road but I hope Ricoh can mend some of the damage Hoya caused with retailers. It sure looks like they are making the effort. You cannot sell a product if you cannot get it in the hands of people who will sell it for you whether that is brick & mortar or online.