Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #16

Instead of having a go at me let's wait for the original poster to respond. It's possible he did AF on the mic, but I doubt it somehow.

12-23-2011, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You have no idea where OP pointed his focus point before recomposing the shot, as is normal to do, and you're still conflating other issues with this tungsten ff bug. Focus hunting (or failing) in low light is not ff. Missing focus by locking onto the wrong element in your scene is not ff.

Y'know, I took a glance and 22 of your 25 posts on this board are complaining about tungsten ff. We get it, you're pissed off. You don't need to spam it in every topic, especially after returning the camera.
I haven't seen Mr. Spocko's other posts, so I have no idea about the history of this discussion, but I do note that you say here that "22 of 25 posts on this board are complaining about tungsten ff" while Mr. Spocko's post above specifically says halogen, not tungsten. While halogen bulbs do use a tungsten filament, they produce a higher color temperature and, if I'm not completely mistaken, are therefore not interchangeable in this context. Perhaps one or both of you misspoke at some point? Or do I simply misunderstand the problem entirely?

I only mention this because I found this thread while searching for issues with front focusing in halogen lighting. I wasn't aware of any sort of trend or anything with this issue for this camera. I'm just dealing with a shoot I did this week in my unfinished studio with my halogen work lights for focusing. I took my sister's family in on VERY short notice to get the prints done by Christmas. The work lights were still out. It was the first time I ever used this camera or lens in the studio. And most of the shots are so horrifically soft that they are entirely unusable. Maybe 50% were "good enough" for their immediate needs, but I would be indescribably embarrassed if anyone ever saw a large print of these. I've been shooting in the studio for enough years that this kind of poor quality is inexcusable. I'm profoundly grateful that it was "just" my sister's family (though her kids are incredibly difficult in general (autism spectrum disorders) and even more so on "picture day" which we only do every couple years. In other words I basically can't reshoot this.

I was shooting at f/8 at 55 mm (only have a couple of lenses since I switched back to Pentax) from about 18 feet away. Two tight rows of people. Should be enough DoF that the background would bother me by being too close to "in focus", yet half of the people are soft and the background is indistinct.

I'm going to need to do some serious testing before I can bring in a paying client with this new setup. That is a very troubling thought.
12-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #18

Has this setup you are having trouble with been proven reliable elsewhere on other occasions?
12-24-2011, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #19

Just to clarify this I had problems in mixed lighting (a combination of light sources) and low kelvin temp lighting this includes energy saving bulbs in the EU (which are around 2700k or near there) Halogen is also around the same temp as Tungten bulbs (the older style traditional bulbs mostly replaced with the energy saving ones)
Shooting under Halogen lights in a studio almost all of my shots were out of focus showing severe FF which was present regardless of lens.
At a concert I shot again almost nothing was in focus so I had to switch to live view or manual focus.

As far as I can see there is a major problem with the K-r and currently no solution..I even wrote to Pentax a month ago and go no response from them at all.
Whist it's an end of line model it's still being sold by Pentax without a care in the world for their customers.

12-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
Has this setup you are having trouble with been proven reliable elsewhere on other occasions?
No, this setup with "my work lights were still out" because I was still working on construction of the studio, and "It was the first time I ever used this camera or lens in the studio." has not proven reliable elsewhere on other occasions.
12-24-2011, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Hi Barry

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Just to clarify this I had problems in mixed lighting (a combination of light sources) and low kelvin temp lighting this includes energy saving bulbs in the EU (which are around 2700k or near there) Halogen is also around the same temp as Tungten bulbs (the older style traditional bulbs mostly replaced with the energy saving ones)
Shooting under Halogen lights in a studio almost all of my shots were out of focus showing severe FF which was present regardless of lens.
At a concert I shot again almost nothing was in focus so I had to switch to live view or manual focus.

As far as I can see there is a major problem with the K-r and currently no solution..I even wrote to Pentax a month ago and go no response from them at all.
Whist it's an end of line model it's still being sold by Pentax without a care in the world for their customers.
Barry,

Didn't you return your Kr and have said that all of your Pentax gear is for sale?

So you joined here despite moving out of Pentax just to continue your crusade against Pentax? Isn't that simply trolling?

Pathetic.

Ray
12-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
No, this setup with "my work lights were still out" because I was still working on construction of the studio, and "It was the first time I ever used this camera or lens in the studio." has not proven reliable elsewhere on other occasions.
Then I wouldn't jump straight onto 'tungsten FF'. It could be a normal lens and body calibration that is required.
12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
Then I wouldn't jump straight onto 'tungsten FF'. It could be a normal lens and body calibration that is required.
The lens and body combination have been fine in numerous other circumstances. The body has also been fine with other lenses. But you asked about "this setup", which to me includes the studio setting with the halogen lights.