Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need flash help

Hey guys and gals I have a question. I am thinking of getting an external flash and was wondering if any flash will work that has a pentax shoe mount. I am not sure on thi bc i see some that say things like (for pentax guide 42) (for guide 148) and so forth. Is this going to make a difference in the flash? I tried looking in the manule but i didn't see it refer to anything like this. This is one of the ones i'm looking at getting.

VIVDF293PEN Vivitar DF293 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Bounce / Zoom / Swivel Auto-Focus Flash for Pentax Guide Number 42 (at 85mm Zoom Position)

If anyone has any other flash sugestions near this price range that might be better or that you know works please feel free to suggest things to me. and thanks for any input yall can give me.

12-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xpeppyx Quote
Hey guys and gals I have a question. I am thinking of getting an external flash and was wondering if any flash will work that has a pentax shoe mount. I am not sure on thi bc i see some that say things like (for pentax guide 42) (for guide 148) and so forth. Is this going to make a difference in the flash? I tried looking in the manule but i didn't see it refer to anything like this. This is one of the ones i'm looking at getting.

VIVDF293PEN Vivitar DF293 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Bounce / Zoom / Swivel Auto-Focus Flash for Pentax Guide Number 42 (at 85mm Zoom Position)

If anyone has any other flash sugestions near this price range that might be better or that you know works please feel free to suggest things to me. and thanks for any input yall can give me.
If you want flash automation you must buy a flash that supports the flash automation protocol that pentax uses which they
call "P-TTL" Flash units are no fun at all if they don't adjust the flash intensity to the needs of the occasion. You don'dt even want to buy an old Pentax brand flash because they don't work either.

While there are a few 3rd party flashes that will function with flash automation, unless you are a whiz and sorting the things out
you should only consider the current production model Pentax brand name flashes such as the Pentax AF360-FGZ. It won't meet your price point, but it will work.
12-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This website will help you sort through flash features. The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

I disagree with rvannatta, many people here use off-brand flashes with no issues. Sigma and Metz flashes have features similar to Pentax.
12-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't agree with rvannatta above. I use several old Pentax flash units, an FA160sa and a AF200t both are designed to work with the old Pentax cameras from the 70's & 80's. With the Camera set at P They will select your aperture on old K-"A" and new Pentax DA, DAL etc... lenses. let the flash select shutter speed or set at anything below 180. The flash will work with what ever ISO you have set and still select the correct aperture but I like to set ISO in the 100-400 range,

rvannatta is correct it will not work as P-TTL but the flash will select the correct amount of light based on a sensor internal to the flash.

For manual lenses set the ISO you want then set aperture based on the chart on the flash back the flash will select the correct light output for the image. So what I am saying any old auto flash will work for auto light output.

Just watch the trigger voltage on old flash units . see chart Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Hans

12-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting the Pentax 540 from some one on the forums.