Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got my K-r back from CRIS, but they damaged my lens.

I got my K-r and FA50 1.4 back from CRIS. The focus problem seems to be fixed and it's working great in that regard(from initial tests, before I needed a -9 adjustment), but they sent my FA50 back with a crack in the plastic that covers the distance markings. I'm pretty upset about this, it instantly devalues the lens. They packed it in a ton of packing peanuts, so I have to think the damage was done at their facility. Did they drop it?

Has anyone had this happen to them? Was CRIS good about taking responsibility and compensating for the damage? I am going to be sending them a letter, but I'd like to hear some input from you guys.

12-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

On reciept CRIS unpacked your lens and documented the condition. You should see what they wrote on your CRIS online repair status form. Check that first to see that it was received in good condition. Then call CRIS to let them know it was damaged somewhere in their process and you need to file a claim. Also document the damage on the CRIS online repair status form for your repair. (use the message portion of that form-It gets recorded there). Good luck.

Last edited by jcp5; 12-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.
12-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is always a chance something else would be screwed up when sending in for repair. You should test for optical misalignment asap b4 contacting the service centre. If the alignment is bad, the lens is dead and you should push for an exchange. If it's just the broken window, asked them to replace it (but I don't think Pentax have parts for this lens anymore). Good luck.
12-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I took a picture of something with text on both extremes and it was sharp across the image, so I think it's just the cosmetic issue. I sent them a message and I'm waiting for their response.

12-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Thanks guys,

I took a picture of something with text on both extremes and it was sharp across the image, so I think it's just the cosmetic issue. I sent them a message and I'm waiting for their response.
I know how many of those foam peanuts (they drive my nuts ) they use and its more than needed to stop any damage from a 5' drop IMO. Your lens could have been damaged at any stage. The person who did damage it did not tell anyone. So CRIS will have to look at the statement of condition upon arrival and your evidence and do the right thing. Repair your lens. It would not cost a repair center much to do so? If they give you a hard time file a complaint with the BBB in Arizona, they will help a lot to make things right.
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

really sorry to hear about ur lens, i hope u get it sorted and get a claim!

Sorry to go off subject but I'm just wondering how you could tell ur lens was out of focus? just for future reference
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i sent in my FA77 for repair and it came back with new scratches on the front element. So far not impressed with CRIS at all.

01-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it's finally going to be taken care of. UPS is going to pick up my lens and CRIS is going to fix it. I think they're getting a claim from UPS for the full amount and then are just going to fix the plastic on my lens, but whatever. I hope they fix it quickly because it's one of my favorites.

Step 1 - cause minor damage to customer's lens, that they can easily fix.
Step 2 - file claim
Step 3 - Profit???