Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

old lens new body

Newbie here. Looking to go with a Kr once the holidays have passed. Have an Mx now, but has sat unused for about 20 years. Would like to get a Kr body and use the manual lenses with it. What problems or drawbacks are there to this arrangement? Will if function just like my Mx did or will there be some oddities in operation and settings?

This will be my first dslr.

12-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's how you use manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Generally the process is hassle-free, you just have to stop-down first to meter.

BTW with the k-r now discontinued, you might have trouble finding one after the holidays!
12-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
Would like to get a Kr body and use the manual lenses with it.
Depends on your definition of the word "Manual." If you mean Manual Focus but the lens has an "A" setting (like a Pentax-A SMC 50 f/2.0 for example) then everything works the same as a modern lens without the autofocus.

If you mean Manual Aperture then you would have to do stop down metering as Adam suggested. Simply a matter of pressing the green button to get exposure settings prior to firing the shutter.

I have a number of "manual" lenses (including A, non A versions and M42). They are a joy to use.

AB
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Kr discontinued? Did not know this. What will replace it?

As for manual operation the camera has a light meter in it that can be used much like that of a manual film camera?

After reading the above posted link, I see the metering function is somewhere in the brain of the camera. The control I have will be aperture only, not shutter speed or both, correct? If so, how then, do I intentionally over or under expose a shot, or is that not possible?

12-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can certainly adjust the settings to alter the exposure, as you can pretty much use your dslr like you would a k1000 when you stop it down to meter.

For example, pressing the green button and then choosing a faster shutter speed would darken the image.

The k-r was officially discontinued a few weeks ago, right now all we know is that something is going to be replacing it, but my guess is that it won't be announced until late january or early february. It's still in stock at lots of retailers but supplies are running out at big ones like adorama and B&H.
12-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Pentax Mx was designed before "A" type lenses it came with a K-"M" type lens, with the Kr you will have to use stop-down metering like you did with the Mx. It is not a problem I use several "M" typ lenses with my Kr
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The M lenses work great on the Digital bodies, but you probably won't be shooting high speed machine gun bursts with them
2 of my most used lenses are the M28 3.5 and the M50 1.7, both excellent lenses. If I am going to shoot under similar light for a while (ie street shooting at the market) I will Set an exposure by pressing the green button on my k7 while focused on a grey card, then just focus and shoot until the light begins to change. I do chimp exposure more with the manual non A lenses than anything A or newer though. Most exposure misses on an older lens are easily adjusted in post in any case since it usually isn't off by more than a 1/2 stop
Hope you manage to find a camera post holidays, if not there is heavy speculation the replacement will be announced in January in any case, and the K5 has been coming down so maybe it's worth the bump in price to get the best in class camera before it too is replaced
12-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

I had a 50mm 'A' lens and now I just bought the 'M' 50mm 1.7. I never even noticed that I could auto aperture on the A lens since I never did. I personally just take a photo, look at it to see if any red is flashing (to see if I over/underexposed) and then readjust. I never touch that green button for some reason.

Usually adjusting the settings on the lens is super fast and makes it easier to just go about your business. They're also super fun to show off to Canikon users who can't even fathom old lenses.

12-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

Last nite I got my 1st dslr=>K-r. My previous camera is a Sony Nex-3 and all kinds of film cameras. Except all the goodies ppl said abt K-r,I would like to point out something I am not comfortable with K-r.
1, Shooting a M42 or Pentax-M on K-r, it is not as simple as I do on Nex-3. On Nex-3 just need to setup at the first beginning, then you can shoot freely under Manual mode or Av mode, no extra Green button needed inbetween compose,focus,fire.No under or overexposure issue either. Av mode for Pentax-M is useless unless you shoot wideopen all the time. For M42 Av mode my Takumar lenses at least underexposure 2 stops at wideopen to f8~11. So I am forced to use M42 under M mode, which menas I have to change ISO everytime when needed. Not like under Av mode you can set the ISO to Auto in certain range. I just wonder if all these small issues could be fixed by firmware or Pentax just no time to look into it.

2, With a S-M-C Takumar mounted on K-r, it is quite heavy to me. Not like Nex-3 or my old school Pentax MX,ME-Super,MV. If weight and size are very important to you then you might consider Nex-5N or 7.
3, Last nite when I turned on Liveview,the grinding sound really scared me. After searching the forum I found out it is "normal" for most of Pentaxian. The in body SR (Shake Reduction) was what I looked for now becomes a problem when I use liveview to shoot or take video. Hmmm... That grindeing sound makes me feel my new toy will fall into part very soon. I can avoid to shoot under tungsten lights for Front Focus issue but I dont want that grinding sound in my video....
These are only my pesoanl experience with no DSLR background. If anything offends, pls do accept my apologizes in advance.
P/S - I know my English writing is very poor, sorry.
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, to address your points, you're right about #1. This is how it works, period. I don't find it terribly inconvenient, but I rarely change my ISO in the field (I usually keep it locked at 100 or 200). Shooting styles vary, if you rely on ISO a lot to balance your exposures, I guess it would be a bit more hassle.

For point #2, it all depends on the lens you mount. Do you find the K-r too heavy with the kit lens? It seems a bit silly to mount a much heavier older lens on it and then say it's too heavy.

Lastly, the SR sound isn't *that* loud. I think you'll find that when taking video in real world conditions, it isn't noticeable in the resulting video. A much bigger concern will be muffling wind noise, which can be done by mounting a piece of one of those self-adhesive padded discs that people put on the feet of furniture. If you're recording in near silent conditions, the SR could be turned off, too. Depending on what you're doing, that could be detrimental or not.
12-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see someone else making the transition from MX to dSLR, like I did. Initially I used the kit lens (18-55) and was unimpressed compared with my old M series 50/2 and 3rd party WA and long zooms. Do read the instruction page Adam gave you. The manual is badly written on that matter. Actually, so bad it has prompted me to do some research into the professional communication issue involved!
I have collected some m42 lenses. There is a genuine Pentax adapter which works well. The m42 lenses work well in Av mode (after adjusting the exposure compared with the meter reading - play with that to work out the right over exposure - depends on focusing screen.) I find this more convenient than the method to us M series lenses, and rather like usign the MX.
You will want to change the focusing screen to something designed for manual focus lenses. There are 3rd party products - KatzEye has good reviews but is expensive. FocusingScreen (from Taiwan) is much cheaper and offers a big range. You would be better off getting the higher priced one - I think. I got the cheaper because I expect to upgrade the body in the next couple of years.
After all this, you only disappointment will be that he dSLR body is heavy and big compared with the MX. I do not understand why dSLRs are so big - all the insides are solid state except the optical path, and silicon devices are so small.
12-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I do not understand why dSLRs are so big - all the insides are solid state except the optical path, and silicon devices are so small.
I'd hazard a guess that those solid state electronics need a stronger/heavier chassis to protect them. There's a lot less to be damaged from getting knocked around in a traditional SLR.
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most common failure points in solid state products are the circuit board and the solder joints because these are subject to mechanical stresses. A really small camera could be made if the dies were directly mounted on the device package substrate and interconnect wires affixed rather than doing those processes in a surface mount device which is then soldered to a board. Camera makers would need to work more closely with chip packagers, but not with foundries. Of course, the other problem is that the electronics industry views its products as disposables (use until failure) becasue when failure happens there will be a new model with new features. Old camera makers viewed their products as heirlooms, intended to last almost forever (usually with minimal servicing).