Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Shutter isn't working

Hi there, merry christmas to one and all! unfortunately on day one of unravelling this great camera and taking some snaps it has suddenly stopped letting me take pictures.
The issue with it, is every time i push any button the shutter sound goes off and when i look through the lens to take a picture i can't see anything, but a brief flicker. can any one help me with this problem and to how i can fix it? cheers

12-25-2011, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to try would be to pull the battery, and see if it behaves normally when you put it back. It would also be a good idea to remove the lens and make sure the contacts on both lens and body are clean. They look kinda like metal beads. Polish them a bit with a soft cloth, replace the lens, and test. Usually this kind of problem is due to either improper contact, dirty contacts, or possibly a damaged lens.
12-25-2011, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh man, that doesn't sound good.

Try removing the battery and wait a bit.
Try a different lens, or no lens at all to test.
Try a different SD card.
Try a different battery.
Check to see if the e-dial is stuck between 'notches' Exercise it back & forth a few times.
Check to make sure none of the buttons are stuck in down position. Exercise all of them and make sure they travel properly.

Here is a link to a long thread about an issue with the k-5 that sounds somewhat similar, might be something there for you.
12-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
awesome, i'll do that! i just switched lenses and now it works perfectly. so the problem was that lens. cheers for the help guys and this forum is brilliant as well!
I just took a picture with the next lens and after i took it, it just started making noises when i tried to take another picture, so it must be the camera its self.

Last edited by maxgiesen07; 12-25-2011 at 05:31 PM.
12-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What lens was giving the problem?
Jake
01-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

update the firmware

we had same problem....contacted the shop and they advised we update the firmware to 1.11

downloaded from pentax site and camera is now perfect
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have the same problem I did. I sent mine back to Pentax for repair. Turns out, the aparature control unit needed replacement. From the time Pentax received the camera to the time I received the fixed camera was exactly one week. I had them check the lenses as well - no problems with the actual lenses. They also updated firmware to 1.11. So far, all is well.
02-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
haven't been back on this for a bit, but the same thing happened so i'll get it up to date. cheers

02-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just happened to my Kr about a week ago. After trying all my lenses, manually resetting the aperture ring, updating the firmware, new battery, etc. I ended up having to send it in to CRIS. From what I've seen it's a sign that the "aperture control ring" has failed. Does the shutter fire whenever you press any button? If yes, that's the same thing that happened to mine
02-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
it does fire whenever i touch anything. im new to most of this and call me stupid, but what/where is 'CRIS'?
02-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

CRIS is a repair service that repairs cameras. criscam.com is their website. I sent my K-r in to CRIS, because they're closest to where I live (they're based in Arizona), but Pentax has various service centers around the country as well. If your camera is still under warranty, it will cost about $12 to ship it to them (not including your own shipping costs with insurance). Without warranty, it'll be about $170 if I recall.
02-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
I'm from the UK... i'll just head back to the guys i bought it from. its brand new, so still under warranty and shouldnt cost me much. thanks again.

Max
02-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Just happened to my Kr about a week ago. After trying all my lenses, manually resetting the aperture ring, updating the firmware, new battery, etc. I ended up having to send it in to CRIS. From what I've seen it's a sign that the "aperture control ring" has failed. Does the shutter fire whenever you press any button? If yes, that's the same thing that happened to mine
This happened to me today, only two month old K-r... The internet shop I bought it from tells me it will take MAX 45 days... Pentax France demands that I send it back to the Internet retailer, and they send it in, then Pentax send it back to the retailer who then send it back to me... This is just so retarded... Though the guy at the retailer told me that I probably have the K-r back within two weeks only - TWO WEEKS!!

Me now looking for a cheap used 35mm SLR in the hoods....

This coincided with me getting a used cosina 24mm f2.8 Macro PKA mount, I kind of wonder if its just a coincidence or if there's something with that lense, the problem persist with any of my lenses though AF as well as MF lenses, and the mount and contacts on both the Cosina and the K-r does not give any suspicous hints, probably just a coincidence.
02-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #14

Original Poster
Sounds ridiculous! Didn't pentax mention earlier this year about the k-r being manufactured in japan or something along the lines of k-r/japan?
I solved the problem a couple of times by just waiting the next day to use it, but I've been away so later ill update it then see how it goes!
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxgiesen07 Quote
Sounds ridiculous! Didn't pentax mention earlier this year about the k-r being manufactured in japan or something along the lines of k-r/japan?
I solved the problem a couple of times by just waiting the next day to use it, but I've been away so later ill update it then see how it goes!
Eh, ok?