Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The DA12-24 or Tamron 10-24 would be suitable for architecture. Neither are tiny. The DA15/4Ltd and DA21/3.2Ltd are pretty small. IMHO 15mm is a bit short for town'scapes except in small spaces. It would work down on the Riverwalk but not up in SA's streets. (As I recall from spending a couple weeks there in 1977.) Check some shots with your 16-45 to see whether 15 or 21 works better for you.

I assume by 'portrait' you mean torso and headshots. Depending on you and your subjects' comfort levels, you might use something between 50-80 for torsos and 75-135 for headshots. If you want one-eye-sharp-everything-else-blurry sorts of headshots, an 85/1.5 is right down your alley. If you want every-hair-and-speck-ultrasharp shots, a 90mm macro is right. I prefer in-between, so my favorite portraiture zoom is an old M42 Sears-Tokina 55-135/3.5. For sharpness, I'll use a 75mm enlarger lens on extension, or a 90mm macro lens. For softness, I'll use a Jupiter-9 85/2, or an FA50/1.4 with a Sony 1.5x tele adapter up front, effectively 75/1.4. Others here will nominate Pentax 70 or 77 or 100mm AF lenses. Whatever.

12-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again

I will have to see how the 15mm performs downtown. The 16mm on my 16-45mm has done well for certain photos in the neighborhood, but I just wanted to travel lighter downtown. Actually the 16-45mm entire focal range is perfect for me and I could shoot with that 70% of the time, with the 18-135 being the perfect all purpose lens for anywhere, especially in the hills, and the 35 f2.4 having its place also. Whatever the 15mm can do downtown, I will adjust. I may come home with different photos than I intended. :-)

As far as the portrait lens, I am not sure if I need a f/2.8 lens like one of the Tamrons possibly. Nothing I have seems to be perfect for what I need for neighborhood assn party photos. Strong sun sweeping up a creek by our park on into darkness, people near and far, candids with people moving around as well as posed photos. I just take a lot of photos and use what comes out best. Fortunately they seem satisfied with what they get. But I don't have to worry till next October about that. I am sure that a lot of my problems with those photos are unwise decisions on settings. It is hard to concentrate on what setting to change to when people are talking to me the entire time which happens at the parties. I am just not that skilled. I did pretty good on candids with my D50 and the 35mm f2 at wedding receptions (unofficial photos) and I think i will try the 35mm f2.4 prime next year before investing in another zoom lens I might rarely use. I would rather shoot landscapes than people.
12-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Re: people-shooting -- Any fast zoom will be big. Any small zoom will be slow. My universal lens is the DA18-250, but it's not for darkness, at least not on my K20D. Were I to concentrate on people-shooting in mixed light (and if I had the budget) I'd look for something like the DA*50-135/2.8, like a super-duper automated descendant of my great old M42 Tokina 55-135/3.5 (but costing 100x more). Currently I use various manual primes.

Is the 50-135 the best people-shooting lens? I don';t know. Maybe there is no 'best' lens. Maybe the best lens is the lens you use, and the worst is the lens you don't use. Yeah, a lot hinges on just knowing the settings, making their manipulation automatic -- the whole camera+lens system as an extension of your visual system. That comes with experience. It's like the out-of-towner asking a local on Broadway, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" and the reply is, "Practice, practice, practice!"
12-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again

I just wonder if I should put the money towards something I don't need very often so will be evaluating that over the coming months. I need to spend time with my current setup and see if and what I am lacking, but I am probably going to get one more lens (prime?) mid year. I do think I need some faster glass somewhere along the way. Considering also the 40mm f/2.8 or the 43mm f/1.9 in the future. Thanks for your suggestions.