Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Nice sharp images, Drom.

Of course, for some, a soft image means the lens is universally inferior to the competition (this is a "fact" although no evidence for this claim has been presented, as usual), while the very sharp images posted by several here seem to still mean that all of the 18-55 lenses are optically inferior.

How does that work again?

Maybe it's spherical aberration.....

Ray

01-14-2012, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #62

Here is one I took in tungsten light using auto-focus and manual settings.

01-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Nice sharp images, Drom.

Of course, for some, a soft image means the lens is universally inferior to the competition (this is a "fact" although no evidence for this claim has been presented, as usual), while the very sharp images posted by several here seem to still mean that all of the 18-55 lenses are optically inferior.

Ray

Lots of information out there Ray!
Samples do vary that is well known and quite a bit in the case of kit lenses

Pentax K-5 Camera Optics - Full Review

"Overall, this is a poor performance even for an inexpensive kit lens. If you're interested in purchasing the Pentax K-5 with the kit lens, make sure to buy from a retailer that allows hassle-free returns and test the lens thoroughly within the exchange period"

And for the K-r

Pentax K-r Camera Optics - Full Review

"The Pentax 18-55mm lens produced slightly soft corners at wide-angle, though the center was also slightly soft. The bottom right corner was the sharpest with the other three showing very similar softening. Some vignetting (corner shading) is also noticeable at wide-angle. At full telephoto, the top-right corner was the softest with blurring extending well into the frame. The other three corners were slightly soft, as was the center"

Again we can take nice shots with any lens but I've seen quite a lot of variation in the various 18-55mm kit lenses I've tried all were softer tele end, most were quite good at the wide end. Some were de-centered.
01-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Nice sharp images, Drom.

Ray
Thanks Ray. You know, I'm glad I posted those last two from the 18-55mm. I had been collecting older lenses; FA and F series and thought I liked them better, but looking at the pictures from the DAL, I like the color a little better. It's more vibrant and saturated. I will have to review that because my next purchase is probably going to be a more expensive telephoto lens, and I might want to go with a new DA* rather than one of the F* or FA*.

01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #65

I'm possibly going off subject here but this newb is impressed with most of the images here and would be interested to know how to access the EXIF information so I can compare it with my attempts with my K-r.

Best wishes

Michael
01-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #66

You won't learn anything from the ones I posted for sure. I'm a newbie too and shoot most everything in auto and semi auto modes. The only pictures I have taken in manual mode so far were my first moon shots, because you absolutely have to shoot in manual to capture the moon.

With the 4 shots I posted on the last page all were in auto mode except the bee photo, which I had in semi-auto mode;shutter priority. Bumping up the shutter speed is the only way I can get clear images of bees. It stops the motion on the wings.

one of the veterans here can tell you how to get the EXIF info
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceman Spiff Quote

Nice sharp Tungsten image.

Was this also the kit lens?

I gave away both Gen1 18-55s I have owned when I added the 16-45 and then the 16-50 (I gave away the ds bodies and K100 also), but if these are an indication of how good the Gen2 18-55 can be, it is quite a bargain for the price. It looks like it would make a good choice for a lens to always have on hand, especially when one considers the size and weight.

It is also clear that anyone who cannot get images this sharp from the kit lens either needs to work on technique or send the lens in for adjustment as it certainly is clear to me that there is nothing inherently wrong with the optical design.

Ray
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceman Spiff Quote

Looks sharp as a tack to me. And my eyesight isn't that great

01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Brodrick Quote
I'm possibly going off subject here but this newb is impressed with most of the images here and would be interested to know how to access the EXIF information so I can compare it with my attempts with my K-r.
Most of the images posted here are hosted/linked from flickr so if you click on the image it will open the flickr website in a new tab or window. Just click on actions near the top left of the screen and then click on View EXIF Info from the drop-down menu.. If hosted from other sites I'm sure you could do something similar. Hope this helps
01-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #70

Many thanks hawaza. Most helpful.

Also thanks to Drom. It was your images that prompted my question.

Best wishes

Michael
01-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Cuthbert Brodrick might be interested in a Google Chrome Exif Reader addon - called "Exif Viewer"

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lplmljfembbkocngnlkkdgabpnfokmnl

Its free and runs in Chrome quite slick.
01-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #72
Veteran Member

There's also a version for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/

And, there's the standalone application PhotoME, which allows for editing EXIF as well as reading it.

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor