Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceman Spiff Quote
Here are some that I took with my kit lens. I didn't do any editing. (Keep in mind I took these my first time ever using a DSLR and not really knowing what aperture or focal length really were. So if there are errors they are probably me doing something wrong)

Don't mind his missing eye, he lost it as a child, but he is still a great friend!
I don't mind the eye at all. It is good to have great friends.

Your kit lens images look pretty sharp to me.

You did not say if you shot these in RAW or jpeg, but most RAW images will need some post processing, including capture and output sharpening. Most DSLRs have anit-aliasing filters over the sensor that is placed there to prevent artifacts like moire. This means that when shooting RAW, you will need to apply some sharpening to counter the blur that the AA filter introduced into the image.

Jpegs get processed by the camera internal processor, so they will normally get some amount of sharpening at default, which you can increase or decrease by using the settings in the menu.

Keep shooting and don't let the trolls and naysayers take the fun out of it.

Ray

01-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #47

Thank you Ray. The images I posted were all JPEGs. The images actually look even better if I do just a little bit of editing in Photoshop like increasing the contrast a bit, but I think they look fine straight out of the camera. I'm going to get the 35mm 2.4 lens next, I'm sure that lens will produce even better images.
01-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #48
Oog
Forum Member

Nice sharp shots. Good work!
01-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Ray. The images I posted were all JPEGs. The images actually look even better if I do just a little bit of editing in Photoshop like increasing the contrast a bit, but I think they look fine straight out of the camera. I'm going to get the 35mm 2.4 lens next, I'm sure that lens will produce even better images.
WARNING:

LBA is setting in (lens buying addiction)!

Soon you will find yourself lusting after yet another lens,and after that another, and another.....

It is a good addiction however, and Pentax has some great and unique glass to feed your glass monster.

Ray

01-10-2012, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know, I think the 18-55mm kit lens isn't that bad.
The focus point was on the eyes.
And the first one had a Raynox 150 on, so with the narrow focus area it creates any 'fuzzyness' would only be more visible.

Last edited by robwill; 01-10-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo correction
01-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
It is a good addiction however, and Pentax has some great and unique glass to feed your glass monster.
Careful with the LBA bug though, it bites pretty hard

*itching for old Taks* XD
01-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I do not suffer from LBA. I relish every moment of it, every spurt of LENS-BUYING ADRENALINE!! It needn't be much. My rush today came from the arrival of a +20dpt close-up strap-on (US$9) and another Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 (US$7, 70g, Argus-C3 mount). Now I can leave my other collectible-quality Sandmar be, and glue this into a PK body cap (as I have with its Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 littermate) for kinky ultralight fun. It reputedly gives 'funky' pix. Ooh ooh. And the +20dpt is just pervy; I expect it to provide many "woolly out of focus images". Ooh ooh ooh.

LBA? It's almost the most fun as you can have with your clothes on.

01-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #53

Wow Robwill you took those with just the kit lens?? They are really awesome. I notice on your Flickr that your pictures have a Original Size (4288 x 2848). I don't have this size on my Flickr account, just large. Do you have to have a paid account or something?

Also what is a Raynox 150?
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow Robwill you took those with just the kit lens?? They are really awesome. I notice on your Flickr that your pictures have a Original Size (4288 x 2848). I don't have this size on my Flickr account, just large. Do you have to have a paid account or something?

Also what is a Raynox 150?
Thanks for the compliment.
Yes, there was nothing more than the kit lens and the Raynox for those.
I was impressed that the autofocus worked so well with the available lighting and the Raynox that close to the subject.
It would have been better if I had shot at f/8 or f/11 than the 5.6, but I was learning how to use it at the time.

The ability to upload and show original size images is part of my paid account.
Or as flickr calls it a Pro account (which is the only way my photos and the word Pro ever come into contact with each other ).

A Raynox 150 is an attachment that will allow you to focus closer with almost any lens without step up/down rings.
It differs from a lot of similar things you see at BestBuy, for example, in that they are really high quality and small in size.
Amazon.com: DCR-150 Snap-On Macro Lens: Camera & Photo
01-12-2012, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #55

I just got a Vanguard Alta 263AP tripod this week for my defective K-r. Yipee
And I am looking forward to all the unacceptable, out-of-focus images I will be getting with it.

Like this deplorable one.

And this abomination

01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How dare you show such a thing!
Don't you know children may visit this site?
Think of the children man!

With that out of the way, those are very nice images.
I like the background and lighting on the horse and all the detail in the bee shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
I just got a Vanguard Alta 263AP tripod this week for my defective K-r. Yipee
And I am looking forward to all the unacceptable, out-of-focus images I will be getting with it.

Like this deplorable one.

And this abomination
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
How dare you show such a thing!
Don't you know children may visit this site?
Think of the children man!

With that out of the way, those are very nice images.
I like the background and lighting on the horse and all the detail in the bee shot.
I'm sorry! I can't help it. I'm not to blame. It's not my fault. This camera is giving me more grief than I can bear. It's all Pentax's fault! That's right. They're to blame for all my grief and suffering.

Thank you. And I just love those butterfly pics. The color is so beautiful! And the bokeh in that second one is wonderful. I need to use my kit lens more. I kinda stopped using it after I got the FA 100-300mm 4.7-5.8 because I just love that one, but the 18-55mm can obviously produce some really crisp, vivid pictures with great color like yours. Eye candy-
01-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #58

Drom you can take nice shots with any lens has always been the case always will.
AF on the K-r is very good for light like that, but go take some shots in tungsten light and you'll see something quite interesting.
Doesn't change the fact both Canon and NIkon have better kit lenses optics wise.
01-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #59

I dug up some 18-55mm pictures I forgot I took. Right after I bought my K-r and the 18-55mm DAL was the only lens I had.
This is Bo, one of my Bengal cats. The color in the image is exactly right. He's actually a brown spotted tabby, not an orange cat. Bengals can be very colorful. And many of them carry a recessive gene for what is referred to as a "glittered" hair coat. When they get a pair of those recessive genes from their parents, like he did, they end up with a translucent, glittered quality to their fur. He has a really soft, pelt-like fur coat that shimmers in the light.
He looks kinda skinny in the picture-he's not. He's a big boy

Last edited by Drom; 01-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #60

And here's a night shot I took with the 18-55mm at the Draft Horse Classic in Grass Valley, Ca back in September. I was up in the stands so I had to crop a bit.