Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

dissapointing woolly out of focus images

Hi. Nubee here. Bought the Kr about a week ago, only just had chance to play around with it. Have to admit dissapointment with first results, all the images are soft, woolly and seem out of focus. Have attached a typical image for your comments and hopefully some advice. Shot on autofocus and automatic exposure, light not too good with little sunlight. using a UV filter on the Kit lens.
image 50a's - F5.6,1/40 sec ISO 200 and using the standard 18-55 kit lens.
The only post production work work is to reduce the file size by Photoshop.
Having seen some of the excellent results from you guys my attempts seem poor, am I expecting too much, or is there something I'm doing wrong or missing ?

Attached Images

12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see the exif but based on what you wrote I would try:
Remove the uv filter as they tend to degrade iq.
Bump up the iso so you can get a faster shutter speed, or use a tripod.
( I assume this was handheld and 1/40 is too slow unless you are a trained sniper.
Also any bit of wind will move the plant and cause blur also so faster shutter will help. )
12-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks like a focusing issue to be, you should definitely have higher expectations than that. Are you sure that after you half-press the shutter release, you give the camera enough time to autofocus? You should see a green hexagon in the bottom of the viewfinder when it has achieved focus.
12-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To me the image looks underexposed by 1 to 1 1/3 stops. Also the DOF is rather shallow. At this image size it is difficult to tell if it is out of focus of just soft. The flowers at the lower part seem in focus but again it is too small to tell.

The kit lens is quite soft at the long end wide open at F5.6. Try to use F8 or F11 and increase the ISO to get proper exposure. As crewl1 said, remove the UV filter, it does not do anything positive and most likely degrades both the image quality and the AF accuracy. For autofocus you should use only the center focus point and focus the image with the flower at that location and then compose the frame as needed.

The lighting is not the best, so contrast is rather low. Use a lens hood to both protect the lens and improve contrast. Your best choice for lighting in these situations will be use fill-in flash to illuminate the subject, use a smaller aperture for greater DOF and proper ISO so you get the background exposed too.

During post processing you can increase the contrast a bit, and apply sharpening, it will make the biggerst difference.

Although your photo is not technically a macro, if that is what you like to shoot, you may consider getting a macro lens and will have far superior image quality.

Good luck,

Demetri

12-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Also, if this was shot at the long end of the lens, 1/40 is probably introducing some camera shake issues.
12-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi everyone and thank you for your fast responses - I'm very grateful. I've decided that a trip back to the store from where the camera was purchased is on the agenda for tomorrow.
I'm convinced that there is a focus issue with this particular camera, I'm aware that the kit lens and Tamaron 70-300 lens that I bought at the same time aren't going to produce images that are razor sharp, - but the pictures should be much sharper than it's producing.
I did a lot of research against the Canon 1100D, the Nikon 3100D and the Kr won hands down. Don't want to change brands, I've only made 2 posts in this forum and can already feel the warmth and help from the membership -I'll keep you posted as to the results !
12-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

Here's some samples for you from my K-r in both shade and light with different lenses. These are all in auto modes.
Here's one of the first pics I took with the same kit lens, in the light.

Here's one I took in the shade with the FA 100-300mm 4.7-5.8 (budget lens)

Here's one in the shade with the the FA 100mm 2.8

You should be getting better focus and resolution than you are. You might want to check your settings. The 18--55mm kit lens is my least favorite lens, however I have recently seen some pictures posted by others who got really great images out of it.

FYI-editing to add, when you are in auto mode are you hearing the beep when the camera is focusing on your target?

Last edited by Drom; 01-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.
12-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

in that picture I am guessing either there was camera shake or maybe it didnt focus properly.. You are sure your lens has no problem right?

Also a reminder, always wait for the Shake reduction icon to show up in the viewfinder before taking the shot. Otherwise shake reduction is not on or ready yet. Also it is better to take shots using the viewfinder rather than live view, because in live view, the double flop of the mirror induces some shake as well.
12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kr.norm Quote
I'm aware that the kit lens and Tamaron 70-300 lens that I bought at the same time aren't going to produce images that are razor sharp
Both the Kit and the Tamron are capable of razor sharp images I have both. I would not settle for less with the lenses. Make sure you have focus points turned on, it is easier to see than the green hex in the finder, also on menu item C 9 & 10 make sure focus-priority is set that will not allow images that are out of focus. Your image may have been to close for the lens to focus.

Hans
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kr.norm Quote
Hi everyone and thank you for your fast responses - I'm very grateful. I've decided that a trip back to the store from where the camera was purchased is on the agenda for tomorrow.
I'm convinced that there is a focus issue with this particular camera, I'm aware that the kit lens and Tamaron 70-300 lens that I bought at the same time aren't going to produce images that are razor sharp, - but the pictures should be much sharper than it's producing.
I did a lot of research against the Canon 1100D, the Nikon 3100D and the Kr won hands down. Don't want to change brands, I've only made 2 posts in this forum and can already feel the warmth and help from the membership -I'll keep you posted as to the results !
I'm convinced that there is no focus issue with your camera. the conditions you describe are not ideal, to say the least, to test for focusing issues. try using it on a sunny day with favorable conditions and keep notice of all the advice above.
If you do find an issue with focusing your kit lens you can calibrate it in camera and without taking it to the store. You have a very capable camera.
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Demp10 and XFLOGGINGKYLEX have hit it on the head IMO. 1/40 @ 18mm is a lot different than 1/40 @ 55mm and from what I see of the image the DoF appears pretty thin... on another note... look at that creamy OOF bokeh in the background. If that was an automatic exposure, I would recommend hitting the ISO button on the D pad and adjusting it to 200-3200, I think you'll find recreating the shot you will likely get a more crisp result, and a more acceptable DoF.

A Hydrangea under similar light maybe? Notice it's shot at 3200 ISO and under exposed.. not my best but hey

The camera knows its taking a stinker too... with blinking numbers telling you its not ideal parameters.
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

They're all falling on deaf ears, seems OP has made up his mind it's the camera and not the shooter.
12-29-2011, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Inactive Account

I'm still an absolute noob to photography and that picture is better than most I've taken.

My theory is if your new at something you can't expect to be brilliant within a hour, day, week, month. (not saying you expect to be btw) but i believe most of my dodgy images are due to the fact i know very little about actual photography. The reviews of the camera speak for its self and like anything most things are down to user error.

But like i say that image is better than 99% of what I've taken!

I got recommended the Understanding exposure book by bryan peterson, I'm two chapters in and engulfed... its defiantly a good read! id even go to say near as good as harry potter!
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #14

At 55mm the kit lens (f5.6 esp notable) is a bit like putting a soft focus filter on your lens. Some copies are better than others with this one, but the standard 18-55mm is known to be hazy and a bit mushy at the tele end wide open things pick up at f8, better at f11 or near there.

I think the kit needs to be replaced with a better optic
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Back to troll some more, are ya.