Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So what's the best way to upload the photo? So i know dor future reference . ATM I'm just exporting the raw to jpeg via photoshop....

I've changed to af-s now I'll try that

However since it doesn't refocus as I move or zoom out a bit will it not be out of focus and need to press the shutter button by half again? To refocus on what I want after I have moved?

12-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
re: export

800 pixel max on the long side works for me.

On the other, its a technique thing, just play with it, you'll figure it out.
12-29-2011, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well today i got the understanding exposure book and managed to get the first two chapters done. Im quite a fastish learner and think i understand the basics of the triange. got some reasonable shots tonight, went out to my favourite restaurant and got a good picture of the guy with the wok! took a couple of attempts... i forgot flames are bright! 90% of pictures tonight was in manual exposure mode as well so pretty chuffed

what you think?

think I'm going to have to read up about focusing on people. tonight all images of people front face was just not focused. through the viewfinder the focus points keep going around the head. unless i set the focusing to 11 and i roughly put the focus on a head. with more than one person it was very disappointing, but once again I'm learning so its expected i suppose bit disheartening thgh.. tried Af-s mainly after it been recommended but also tried af-a and af-c. All with same results.

However if i go through the LCD screen to focus it seems to pick it up a lot better and focus in on a point of a persons face which is good but i really don't want to use the screen all the time? This was the best pic i got of someone all night and its the mrs (she looks very annoyed cos id literally been taking photos all day and she's been the dummy!) before we left i tried to small DOF and just get her clear with a blury background but i still think it could be better..

Any suggestions? Im also still confused about uploading pics with info.. think i need to find the guide!!
12-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a nice addon for google chrome at home that I downloaded off their app store called EXIF Viewer... its awesome.

The first: Awesome action shot looks great.
Date Time Original: 2011:12:29 18:43:22
Exposure Time: 1/250
F Number: 6.3
Exposure Program: Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings: 1600
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 28.1
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: PENTAX
Model: PENTAX K-r

The second:
Date Time Original: 2011:12:29 16:10:05
Exposure Time: 1/25
F Number: 4
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 3200
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 50
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: PENTAX
Model: PENTAX K-r

I noticed you are posting full size... if you try posting an image sized to 800 pixel long side the board supply your EXIF info automatically.

I'm glad you like the book - I found it so helpful myself.

Last edited by mattt; 12-29-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added info
12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i posted these pics off photo bucket as my space on the site is limited. next time i post i shall make the images smaller thanks for the tip. understand what you was on about earlier. must of missed that post!

will have to download chrome for the viewer, using safari atm on Mac, mainly for the cool gesture commands but sure i can go to chrome for viewing photos :P do you have any tips on picture two that would of maybe made it a bit more in focus.?
12-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the second photo again, and reading your comment, 1/25 is too slow for portrait work... you may have seen it on the board a few times, remember 1/FL rule - eliminates camera shake from the blurriness question. Plus you cant expect your subject to remain perfectly motionless. Shooting kids, I like 1/200 and you could go half that for adults. And dont be scared to pop the flash up for some fill. I like to shoot with -0.7 EV on the flash to make sure I don't blow it out when using it for fill. In that portrait you would end up with a bit of shiney catchlight in her eye, and her eyes wouldnt be in the shadows.
12-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well i took her home tonight so no one to test on looks like its a trip to hers tommorw for more testing thanks very much for the advice

12-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now go post some pics in the "newbies" thread Have fun.
12-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I see some real nice improvement here, Murgy! You will really be getting the hang in no time. Glad you got "the book"! I really think the best thing is to set the focus point to center only and use the 'focus and recompose' method. Too much guesswork with Auto 5 or 11.

Have fun and I look forward to seeing more pics!