Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Kr and inherited lenses

Hi , I'm new to here, fairly new to photography even though I owned an SLR during my teens... a while back now. Unfortunately I had several point and shoots in between and seem to have forgotten much of what I learned then, oh well, it'll come back.

My main query is about old lenses.
My mum always used Pentax...I have her old camera bodies, I also inherited her much nicer camera strap with elastics for holding film cannisters, filters and lenses. I'm trying to find out if I can use her lenses on my body? I have been into the local camera shop but am not convinced the guy knew what he was talking about and didn't try to find out too much after he worked out I wouldn't be buying a whole load of new lenses.

The lenses she used on her Pentax are-
(I think)
Tokina 70-210 mm 1:35 62 (weird circle with a slash through it.) which i'm guessing is inch
Super Takumar 1:3.5/35
Takumar 1:1.8/55

They are all bayonet but are much smaller at the fitting end that my camera allows for. (if that makes any sense.)

My camera jargon knowledge is limited so please use words of around one syllable (ok, not quite but hopefully you know what I mean.)

Thank you so much for your assistance.

01-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is yes and I think those Takumars are probably excellent lenses. Some of the silver backs here can tell you if you need any adapters and what kind.
01-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ummmm silver backs? Do I need a guide to find them and do I need to offer bananas. I'm hoping I can because it would be nice to use mum's stuff.
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes you can.
But... they will probably require the use of a M42->K mount adapter.
The 62 (phi) is used to say that you need filters with a 62mm diameter to use on this lens.
The Takumar and the Super Takumar are fine lenses, not the best but good ones.
The Tokina lens is probably similar as the version 2 of the Vivitar Serie 1 lens (as described here: http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm ), good reputation.

01-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, you can use dear old Mum's gear just fine. For certain the two Takumar lenses are NOT bayonet mount, but "M42" screw mount. Look at the bit that mates up with the camera and you'll find screw threads there. Not sure about the Tokina, except to say the circle with a line through it indicates "62mm diameter" and refers to the size filters you can use on it.

You'll need an inexpensive and easy to use adapter to use M42 lenses on a more modern camera body, but you can use them just fine.
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The Tokina one appears to be the same as the one second from my left on the picture. I doubt they're the bestest, mum used to scavenge but her shots were good.
Thank you. I'll go hunt for an adaptor.
01-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't go too quick! There are adapters to be avoided out there. Make sure you get one without a flange. The adapter should sit so that it is flush with the face of the lens mount.
01-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
don't worry, I'm too confused to go quickly. I'm starting off with good old amazon and reading reviews, this looks to be one of the preferred ones on there
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K-mount (PK) Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, for Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Camera & Photo

I think I'm looking at the right thing?

01-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter

I strongly suggest you get the Pentax Mount Adapter K (#30120)--this is made by Pentax. B&H had them for $25. but appears they are out of stock. Likely, Adorama, Pentax website store, etc. will have it.

Other brands can cause big problems. Many people say not--but that's because they were lucky--in the opinion of lots of us!

Once you have some experience and if you want more adapters to permanently leave on a lens, you will be more experiences and can look at the posts on this to decide if you want to get cheaper ones (removing the screw also removes a potential problem with non-Pentax adapters--but that's for the future.)
01-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You linked to a "Micro 4/3" adapter. What you want is an "M42" adapter. Specifically, one for Pentax K mount.

I second the recommendation to get a genuine Pentax manufactured adapter rather than a third-party make.
01-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks
is this it?
PentaxWebstore.com: Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
01-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by meriadoc71 Quote
That is indeed it. The price was lowered by $10 when Ricoh took over.
01-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you