Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do it because in general I prefer to use a lower ISO than my camera seems to want to default to sometimes. I like working a lot in the 200-800 range. I seldom use anything higher unless I am in a really low light situation. I can have my K-x set on auto and every darned time it tries to go to the highest ISO setting I will allow it to go to even if say 400 is sufficient. If it's set for a max of 1600 it will go to 1600 when I'd actually rather change the aperture at times than make my iso higher. I actually keep my max iso at whatever I want to use, 400 usually when on auto but I don't often just use auto and let the camera choose. I use fully manual and I set it all myself more often than not. Occasionally I will let the camera set the film speed, but even that, not too often.

01-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm thankful to all of you for the dialog this question has produced, but procyon's response is the kind of answer I am looking for - most of the responses seem to assume there is a noticeable difference between middle-value ISO speeds. Yours is the first to explicitly state that you have observed a difference and under what circumstances.

Does anybody else have similar experiences to share on this topic?
it's a bit camera dependent as well, my k10 is getting pretty noisy at 800 but from what ii see the k5 is about the same as my k7 at 320 when it's at 800.

i prefer to stay 400 and below on the k10 and k7 and adjusted for that , i can always bump when needed. if i had a k5 I'd likely raise it to 800
01-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

On my k-x, there is a noticeable noise difference from 100 iso to 400 iso in blue skies and red skies. There is a significant difference from 200 iso to 800 iso in shadows and underexposed regions in a shot. Tungsten lights show a big difference from 200 to 800 iso too. Big noise starts coming in on normal exposed shots at 2000+ iso. So if you want leeway, iso 100 and 200 are much better than 400 and 800. If you shoot well exposed always, the amount of noise difference from 200 to 800 isn't noticeable in a websized picture
01-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I shot a pic rated at 12800 ISO on the K5 the other day just out of curiousity lol
I shot in raw and spent some time on the pic to get the utmost out of it.
The end result, printed A4 size wasn all that bad. I was truly impressed.
Hardly what you would call biting sharp but then far from sludge either.
I never tried it, but, I would say, if printed smaller.... lets say 7 x 5" my guess is it would
be considdered sharp, ish
I did the same thing at 6400 ISO, same subject ( A headshot in tungsten light by the way ) And wayyyyy superior,,,, I printed a detailed sharp A4.... Now thats impressive.
I may just try printing an A3 + ( 13" x 19" ) at 6400 ISO.... mmmm I wonder !
I would just add.... Ive printed a couple of 13" x 19" prints shot at 3200 ISO..... Very sharp and very detailed !
This is where the K5 excells itself. Knocked spots off my D300 at this range. It looked as good if not better than prints shot at 1600 ISO on the D300.

Last edited by westmill; 01-06-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: More info !
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Being able to have an adjustable iso range to me is a big step up from film where you had to chose iso before putting film in the camera.Always keep my iso manual and adjust as low as possible for a decent shutter speed.
Jake
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Being able to have an adjustable iso range to me is a big step up from film where you had to chose iso before putting film in the camera.Always keep my iso manual and adjust as low as possible for a decent shutter speed.
Jake
i agree the ability to change iso is very handy (I carried 2-3 film bodies at one point to cover my bases, now on film my 645 has 3 backs for the same reason) but i generally just got with manual iso adjustment keeping it as low as feasible. but in general my camera is on manual mode whether i'm using old lenses or my AF lenses
01-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i agree the ability to change iso is very handy (I carried 2-3 film bodies at one point to cover my bases, now on film my 645 has 3 backs for the same reason) but i generally just got with manual iso adjustment keeping it as low as feasible. but in general my camera is on manual mode whether i'm using old lenses or my AF lenses
Eeeee lad,,, takes me back to Hovis Bread n push processing in the darkroom lol !!!!
Bronica ETRS, Bronica RF, Mamiya RZ67
Jobo CPE2 processor, Nova 16" deep tank and CPL 7700 enlarger !

An boy oh boy do i miss it !!!!
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Eeeee lad,,, takes me back to Hovis Bread n push processing in the darkroom lol !!!!
Bronica ETRS, Bronica RF, Mamiya RZ67
Jobo CPE2 processor, Nova 16" deep tank and CPL 7700 enlarger !

An boy oh boy do i miss it !!!!
Ho i still shoot with an ETRSi hence the 3 backs. I only have one for my mamiya super 23 in a 6x7 variant (i'm watching for a 6x9 one though)
RZ 67 is too bloody big to carry round (the rf645 is pretty sweet though)

01-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ho i still shoot with an ETRSi hence the 3 backs. I only have one for my mamiya super 23 in a 6x7 variant (i'm watching for a 6x9 one though)
RZ 67 is too bloody big to carry round (the rf645 is pretty sweet though)
Wicked ! Yes... RZ67 was a beast, but I only used it in the studio for glamour work. I used the ETRS just for weddings. The Bronica RF 645 I had the
3 kit lenses and little flash and a love affair lol.
Its strange how you can grow a passion for certain cameras. Ive owned many, but only two i loved dearly.... The olympus E1 which was totaly underestimated and just brilliant..... the RF 645
and If im honnest... im getting rather attached to my new K5. Its a stropy little beast with attitude lol
01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Wicked ! Yes... RZ67 was a beast, but I only used it in the studio for glamour work. I used the ETRS just for weddings. The Bronica RF 645 I had the
3 kit lenses and little flash and a love affair lol.
Its strange how you can grow a passion for certain cameras. Ive owned many, but only two i loved dearly.... The olympus E1 which was totaly underestimated and just brilliant..... the RF 645
and If im honnest... im getting rather attached to my new K5. Its a stropy little beast with attitude lol

Well I don't have the K5 I have the 7 which in many ways is the same camera so I understand that

I'm lusting after this new fuji now though (3 lenses nice form factor looks ideal for my style)

I had a fund started for the FA ltd trio that will probably end up going to the fuji if it's as good as it looks
01-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well I don't have the K5 I have the 7 which in many ways is the same camera so I understand that

I'm lusting after this new fuji now though (3 lenses nice form factor looks ideal for my style)

I had a fund started for the FA ltd trio that will probably end up going to the fuji if it's as good as it looks
You had me intrested so just had a look at new fuji stuff lol... Is it the X100 your looking at ?
If so... yeah... i can see the atraction... beautiful !
My only Fuji has been the Pro 5 which i used as a back up to my nikon as its based on nikon body.
Superb camera for prints.
01-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
This is by far the most objective response so far - especially the first link. I now have a much better idea of the circumstances where I will manually set ISO verus auto ISO.
There is a time & place to fully tweak all the controls. You have to pick & choose those times, and it is better to understand when it is necessary versus just being geeky. I'd rather spend the bulk of my time on picture composition, but will tweak away when it will make a difference.

Thanks again to all for your responses. Great to see conversations like this!
01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

You had me intrested so just had a look at new fuji stuff lol... Is it the X100 your looking at ?
If so... yeah... i can see the atraction... beautiful !
My only Fuji has been the Pro 5 which i used as a back up to my nikon as its based on nikon body.
Superb camera for prints.
Nope the X Pro 1 that will be official next week but has been heavily leaked this week. X100 on steroids. initially 23 lenses available (28 f2.0 50 f1.8 90 f2.5 equivalents) new organic APSC sensor with new lens filter array and no AA filter. if it lives up to the initial leaks it will be a killer kit - looks like the old Contax G@ IMO

01-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Very nice, and yes.... very contax looking. Allthough that x100 looks darn sexy lol
thinking about it.... the X100 looks rather Leica like. I like the idea of the optical veiw finder as well.
01-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
This is by far the most objective response so far - especially the first link. I now have a much better idea of the circumstances where I will manually set ISO verus auto ISO.
There is a time & place to fully tweak all the controls. You have to pick & choose those times, and it is better to understand when it is necessary versus just being geeky. I'd rather spend the bulk of my time on picture composition, but will tweak away when it will make a difference.

Thanks again to all for your responses. Great to see conversations like this!
Imaging resource is very good with their reviews, they look very objective.
Also their hands-on experience looks to be very fair, i really give them kudos for that.

Most people don't notice but at the top you can change the subject to get more details, certainly worth a read.

When it comes down to it though ISO, the nosie and the dynamic range aren't that important you need to have a good shutter speed to get a decently sharp photo and an aperture that works.
It's about what you capture and some noise wouldn't spoil your photo as much as a blurry photo because of the shutterpseed being to long or that the focus is wrong or too small.
When thing to remember though is the higher the ISO the better the exposure of your photo needs to be, at the higher ISO's it's even often better to over expose a bit and then the lower the exposer in post processing.
You will most likely clip the highlights quite a bit but the noise in the photo will be much more acceptable.
Maybe i will write a little study about that when i get the time but you can experiment yourself though.
Use a very high ISO, shoot in RAW and bracket the photos and see how you can "rescue" them afterwards, you will find that the slightly over expose photo often is the best.
Expose to the right is behind it, google that or ETTR to learn more about it.

ps. ETTR has it's uses though but don't over do it, just get a good exposure or slightly over exposed, If you end up using ISO3200 instead of ISO1600 there is little to gain.

Here is a read that shows that ETTR does indeed work
http://schewephoto.com/ETTR/index.html

But here is a read about using higher ISO to gain it is of little use.
http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/2009/09/why-expose-to-right-is-just-plain-wrong.html

Last edited by Anvh; 01-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.