Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
First attemp in manual

Hi everyone,this is my first post after plenty of reading,i'm new to the world of DSLR and have recently purchased the KR,i've done alot of reading and this is my first attemp in manual mode,any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

www.flickr.com/photos/matt268uk/6653421237/

Last edited by Matt268uk; 01-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.
01-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
your url is missing the : between http and //, screwing up chrome. Not sure if this works in other browsers.

Nice shot. It looks a LITTLE soft - i'm guessing since this is the kit lens and at 5.6 it was wide open? Was this taken with a tripod? If so, NR should be off, if not, at 1/15, a slight motion blur is probably why it looks a little soft.

Anyway, fantastic shot.

On second thought, the softness makes it look nice and dreamy. So, ignore the above

Last edited by pezmaker; 01-07-2012 at 10:01 AM.
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just edited,Thankyou for pointing it out
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thankyou Pezmaker for your comments,may i just ask where you found my settings that the picture was taken at ? it wasn't on a tripod just handheld,but the lens was wide open, I would like to see it alittle "crisper" maybe if i took a similar shot using a tripod and increasing the shutter speed ?

01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My kit lens is very sharp at f8 you might try that, also your image looks a little to bright and some parts are burned out

your settings can be seen on your flicker page when viewing the image, just tap the action button to show exif

Manual mode is not something that guaranties great images, in most cases you want the exposure correct and the camera will do that for you in program modes. Then set exposure compensation + or - to your liking brighter of dimmer and the camera will keep it there.

It's the settings you allow on P, SV, Av, Tv mode that make some images better. Like wide open aperture for shallow DOF (background out of focus), higher ISO and faster shutter speeds to stop action, lower shutter speeds to blur motion but keep subject in focus by panning. I like to shoot in aperture (AV) mode at f8 to get sharper images as most lenses are sharper when stopped down, then play with shutter speed and ISO to get the effect I am looking for. Even sports can often be shot at f8 on a sunny day, You can limit the Auto ISO range to top out 800 for most shots, higher in the evenings up to 3200. The minimum shutter speed rule is to keep it equal to or greater than the focal length of the lens you are using 1/300 sec. for a 300mm lens. but you have to be good to make that work I would go 1/600 sec. min for a 300mm lens until you get very steady

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 01-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Hans, i will also give all your advice a try and see what i can come up with.