Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

snow pics

Okay, so you guys all look like pros so here is my silly question of the day for you. I just recently bought my KR to now find out it is discontinued, but oh well.

I was out on the weekend and took some pictures of the family snowshoeing. I set the camera to the snow scene and just auto shot the pics. (still trying to learn how to do manual operation). Once home and downloaded my pics are all really dark. it looks like we were out at dusk instead of the bright day it was. I now have to go to each picture and manually adjust them back to a sunny day shot. Any suggestions on what I should do/change etc? Also, would it make a difference as it was about -15C that day? On other days I have gotten bright snow pics so not sure why the changes.

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for your help.

Deb

01-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The thing is that camera light meters are tuned for 18% grey which typically results in a good exposure. With plenty of bright objects (= snow) in the frame this results in underexposure. This means that with snow filled scenes you need to compensate with 1-2 stops worth of overexposure. In practice you'd dial in exposure compensation in auto metering modes and go for slower shutter times / wider apertures / higher ISO with manual exposure. Chimping and making use of the histogram should make it pretty easy.
01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snow is tricky, the meter is reading the mass of snow as 18% grey and underexposing
None of my cameras have the modes so I can't speak to how effective they are (snow sand mode should be compensating for this but may not give enough boost in all scenes).
For accurate exposure spot metering off a grey card is best but not as easy (you need to have a grey card with you and meter from it in manual mode and shoot at that exposure until the light changes then re meter

Works for AV mode and TV and TAV as well for single shots if you lock exposure. No grey card spot meter someones face it's close

best book for learning i've seen (and recommend to most newbies) is

http://www.amazon.ca/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390
01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

+1 understanding exposure.

You might find some benefit using fill flash in snowy outdoor pics - it makes a big difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Chimping and making use of the histogram should make it pretty easy.
What you are lookign for on the histogram if you are not aware is distribution of some curve on the right third... if it is under exposed it will be piled up on the left side with a tail in the middle.... by setting EV +1 or EV +2 you are forcing the histogram to move right.. if you have a pile at the right side you blow highlights you are over compensating.

01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
+1 understanding exposure.

You might find some benefit using fill flash in snowy outdoor pics - it makes a big difference.

What you are lookign for on the histogram if you are not aware is distribution of some curve on the right third... if it is under exposed it will be piled up on the left side with a tail in the middle.... by setting EV +1 or EV +2 you are forcing the histogram to move right.. if you have a pile at the right side you blow highlights you are over compensating.
For shooting people the fill flash is very useful in bright snow areas (or at the beach for that matter)
01-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

A little trick I use is to meter off the palm of your hand. The tonal range if the skin on a white person is one stop lighter then 18% grey. It gives you a fast way of getting more accurate light levels in snowy conditions.

Now if we only had a snow in the area to worry about it. It is still only mid Jan. so winter still has a chance to some to south-western Ontario. There was a lot more snow in the area this time last year.
01-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
A little trick I use is to meter off the palm of your hand. The tonal range if the skin on a white person is one stop lighter then 18% grey. It gives you a fast way of getting more accurate light levels in snowy conditions.

Now if we only had a snow in the area to worry about it. It is still only mid Jan. so winter still has a chance to some to south-western Ontario. There was a lot more snow in the area this time last year.
i think i've seen a total of an inch this year downtown Toronto, way down from last year this time looking back at the photos i took in the SIJ Game
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

Yeah I have no Idea what's happening in Toronto. Kind of scary that it hasn't snowed yet. It's actually pretty warm, I went out for a 3 hour bike ride for the first time ever in January!

01-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

White stuff on the way.. need to repair my snow-blower for Saturday
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceman Spiff Quote
Yeah I have no Idea what's happening in Toronto. Kind of scary that it hasn't snowed yet. It's actually pretty warm, I went out for a 3 hour bike ride for the first time ever in January!
it's supposed to snow tomorrow, then melt friday then freezing cold sat sunday then back to =1 or so monday
it is an odd winter but i'm not complaining, my back sure is happier
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

We're not complaining now, but wait till the bugs come in spring/summer - we need that cold to come and keep the bugs down.
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm pretty certain I will see cold (We already have there have been a few bloody cold days, just when we get precipitation it seems to be above freezing
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, I will take a deep breath and try to shoot more manual stuff. I will look into that book too. Practice practice practice I guess is what it will take.

They don't call us the great white north for nothing. We have snow, the trails are open and a high of -16 is a good day If the wind would blow somewhere else it would not be that bad but it can get brutal. But with that it has been a mild winter so far up here. I think we have you beat on bugs in the summer too. Blackflies by the masses.
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hey pictaker68, the winds can't be THAT bad this year. Your winds cross Lake Superior, pick up the water and dump it on us (Michigan's Upper Peninsula). I live on the Keweenaw Peninsula that juts out into Lake Superior and we typically average about 8m of snow every winter. Right now we have an amazing 15cm on the ground... typically by now there is 70-80cm of ground cover. Although, we might pick up 30cm of snow tomorrow.

Our blackflies come in the late spring, followed by mosquitoes and biting flies. Still I can't imagine living anywhere else - well maybe on the Sibley Peninsula on the Ontario side of the Lake.
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
White stuff on the way.. need to repair my snow-blower for Saturday
Its just started here in chicago for the first accumulation. I think i'll blow off the snow by departing for florida (may shoot a few pics on the way).