Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Inactive Account

As the discussion seems to be veering more towards using IR remote I thought I'd share an idea that I've come up with in regards to impractical placement of IR receiver on the camera.
When my IR remote will finally arrive I will attempt to make an omnidirectional IR receiver reflector from a piece of clear lexan rod and some tin foil. The rod would have a cone shaped concave on top that's lined with tin foil to reflect the IR signal down through the lexan rod and then via 45 degree mirror at the bottom into the IR receiver. Hopefully that would give me 360 degree angle reception for IR.

04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...and I am still working on a wired remote release. I just got another cheap IR remote in the mail. I will re-attempt my modification to put an external switch in parallel to the rubber dome switch built in to the remote. The remote's circuit board does have what appears to be solder pads for such a switch. I just need to practice my tack soldering skills - I haven't done fine work like this since I owned and modified my Atari 8-bit computer - and not to mention I need reading glasses these days for close work <sigh>.

I can make the externally wired switch of any practical length - 6m seems plenty long for my first try. I have already verified that I can trigger the camera's IR receiver when the remote is at 90 degrees and immediately below or above the receiver, so a matching pair of Velcro patches will attach the remote to the camera. A simple reflector/hood attached to the remote and between the remote and the IR receiver should also make sure it works well even in direct sunlight.