Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
USB Remote control for Kr?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone know of a remote control for the Kr that would plug into the USB port? Also, is there a software other that PK Tether that can activate the shutter of the Kr? PK Tether doesn't work with the Kr and only freezes the camera. You have to remove the battery conmpletely to unfreeze it. I need that feature for some very close macro work with Helicon Focus. I know that a wireless IR control can do the job but they don't live very long. I have one with a good battery but it doesn't work at all. Thanks for any suggestions.

01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Forum Member

Infared remote is the only approved way. You could fab this up though.

Did you put the camera into remote mode when using the infared remote?
01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please don't double-post, I've deleted your other thread. Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the camera was in remote mode. I'll try to build a mechanical shutter release like claimed4all suggested, thanks for the idea. Another question if you don't mind. If I put the camera in live view, I know that the mirror locks up. If I then activate the shutter, does the mirror make a full cycle of down-up-down or does it still stay up? That would be marvelous for minimizing shake. Maybe I should have a look inside the camera. Thanks guys.

01-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

I don't believe the mirror locks up. I put my camera into live view and when I click the shudder I can see the mirror go down.

If you want mirror lock up use the 2 second timer, when you press the shudder the mirror locks up, 2 seconds, and then shutter action.
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some nice depth of field with the Kr.

I did a little experiment with my Kr and the stock lens. The subject is about 6 inches high and I used Helicon focus to combine about 8 pictures with different focus spots. The result is very interesting. Comments welcomed.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 12-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

PKtether seems to work fine with the K-r that I have. The K-r is version 1.0. Its running on Windows 7... I couldnt get Pktether to even start on windows xp. Also it only seems to work when the camera is in storage mode and if there is a memory card in the camera.

01-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a bit of info.

I have found some tv remotes can be used in place of the Pentax ir remotes. Just press the buttons in turn to find out which one will activate the shutter. Only used it indoors to try it out. Wouldn't risk taking it outdoors in case I lost it.
01-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #9

This is the one i use and it works flawlessly,i think you can even put the camera in bulb mode and click it twice,although i have not tried this yet.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

hope this is of some help.

Last edited by Matt268uk; 01-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.
01-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'm not aware of any USB based shutter release, but I think I can understand the need. An IR remote shutter release must be seen by the receiver on the front of the grip. Because of the lens, this isn't even a 180 degree view. I suspect supporting a legacy threaded release would have cost pennies at most.

You can find 3rd party IR remote shutter releases for very little. If I wasn't so busy right now with other projects, I think I would buy a second one and do a little surgery. On most of these remotes, the switch is just a carbonized rubber nub under the button shorting out two points on the circuit board. I should be able to slice off the top of the button to expose the contact points and tack solder a couple leads for a different type of switch.

The legacy threaded shutter release has a thread pattern that would be hard to pick up at your local hardware store, but a thin piece of aluminum should work fine. On the other side of the threaded hole, I could mount a lever type micro switch and in turn attach that switch to the leads I installed on the IR remote.

By attaching the altered remote to the front of the camera grip with Velcro so the output was next to the IR receiver on the camera, I should be able to use a legacy shutter release of what ever length and type I wanted, from whatever location I wanted.

Does that make sense?
01-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I suspect supporting a legacy threaded release would have cost pennies at most.
Or if not the mechanical type, why not just the electrical type? That would probably have been even cheaper to support.
Adapting an IR type remote for that would be easier too.
01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
Or if not the mechanical type, why not just the electrical type? That would probably have been even cheaper to support.
I agree. I suggested a mechanical adaptation as some of us have a fair investment in legacy mechanical shutter releases. The fact is, it would be possible to support both mechanical and electrical releases with one modified IR remote - just connect the remote's button contacts to an electrical jack and plug into that jack whatever type of switch floats your boat.
01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
I'm guessing that its at least partly to differentiate the K-r from the K-5. The designers/marketers at Pentax probably decided that relatively few entry-level users would want a wired remote, so they left it off.

Its the same reason that there is no provision for a battery grip on the K-r. If you want a grip, you must move up to the K-5.

In this day of electronics-dominated cameras, its probably hard to differentiate one camera from another. Software changes make no difference in manufacturing costs, so they must find small hardware changes and features to leave off the low-end models.
01-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
An IR remote shutter release must be seen by the receiver on the front of the grip. Because of the lens, this isn't even a 180 degree view.
Alternatively, a small mirror could be attached or rested somewhere so when you're standing behind the camera you can see the IR receiver lens in the mirror. Aim the IR remote at the mirror and that should trigger it.
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Alternatively, a small mirror could be attached or rested somewhere so when you're standing behind the camera you can see the IR receiver lens in the mirror. Aim the IR remote at the mirror and that should trigger it.
True, although a mirror would still limit me to a specific location in relation to the camera.