01-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Different strokes for different folks I say

01-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classico Quote
Sorry I cant show the pics on this site but let me tell ya wow my Kr held up next to this non pro canon 5D II shooter. He had that 5d II and 24-105 lens the red stripe one F4 but Im almost sure I got more keepers then him. I been always thinking about going to canon but now after holding that 5d just no way i would want that over k5 the thing feels like a brick for one. I know some ppl are going to be like its FF bla bla but for how much he had put into that system well i dont think i could justify it just to be a cool cat with canon

Sorry i couldnt give more info on the shoot but thought i would still share my thoughts
I am confused. Was it about Canon? Pentax? 5DII? K-5? Red stripe? Size & weight? Final output? Your choice? Or just your ego? One thing I have learnt, many people weren't prepared for the size & weight of Canon gears, but that doesn't make them inferior (or superior).
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Classico Quote
...Im almost sure I got more keepers then him.
And you know this how? Did you sit down and compare images afterwards? Count them all out totaling how many shoots were taken versus how many kept?

Sorry, but unless you're competing for a spread in an editorial, I just don't see the point of it. Just have fun with what you're doing versus worrying about inadequacies or comparing who has the "better tool".
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Often the real pros are focused on the result of photography, the print or image. Enthusiasts are often more focused on the means to take a photograph, the camera and lenses. Not to say there are no pros that are also gearheads but a pro who is making his living from the results is more interested in what the client thinks about the picture than he is about what lens, camera or system he used to take it. It is not about owning the latest flash, camera or lens it is ALL about getting the shot correct.
Very well said!

For me the ultimate definition of a successful picture, is one that I can show in the gallery, a collector is willing to buy it, hang it on the wall and look at it every day.

01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #20

Original Poster
@ wlachan I was just saying I felt that the canon was very heavy and well i guess i just like how pentax lays out the controls more then canon does to each there own though but I would rather spend that other $2,000 on other stuff

@einstrigger yes we did compare shots after and we both had fun. the point was just for anyone looking at getting a Kr that they should it holds it own thats why its in the Kr forum.
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #21

People are funny sometimes when it comes to their cameras. I sold a 60D to a guy once and he returned it saying it was defective because it flashed red all over the picture. I tried to explain to him thats a GOOD thing; letting you know you overexposed but he kept saying, "my friends Nikon doesn't do that." His friend probably knows how to adjust his settings better than him.

And another time a kid came in said he had tried a 50mm, a 35mm and a zoom 18-135mm lens and couldn't get a good portrait shot out of any of them. I don't think there was much hope for him. -_-

A camera is only there to help you capture what you see originally with your own eyes, it's not a super hero. Even dinky little throw away cameras with enough light and a good angle can take a worthy shot.

Put a $50 camera in my hand and I'll probably be more interested in taking fun, edgy shots. Put a $5000 camera in my hand and I'd be too scared to break it to do anything extreme (toss it, throw water at it, stick it in the mud).
01-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Often the real pros are focused on the result of photography, the print or image. Enthusiasts are often more focused on the means to take a photograph, the camera and lenses. Not to say there are no pros that are also gearheads but a pro who is making his living from the results is more interested in what the client thinks about the picture than he is about what lens, camera or system he used to take it. It is not about owning the latest flash, camera or lens it is ALL about getting the shot correct.
+1. My training emphasized: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE THE SHOT. Brand loyalty is emotional, not professional. Learn which tools work, and how to use them. A rational image consumer | client cares about the product, not the process, not unless a specific system is part of the package -- like if the audience is brand-specific. I probably would not submit Pentax photos to a Nikon magazine, eh? Except for such rare instances, or if the consumer | client wants images in a proprietary format, all that matters is the image.

Brand loyalty, and no-processing purity, and lens obsessions, are marks of dilettantes. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone deserves their manias. One of my manias is tasting a wide variety of lenses, so I have a bunch, mostly costing very little. No problem. Photography isn't my job anymore. I can be as crazed as I want, with no damage to others. Fanbois are no problem either as long as they don't shove their religion down my throat. But anyone proclaiming 'their' brand as the be-all-and-end-all (the Alpha and Omega!) of photography just doesn't have a clue. Feh.

01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #23

Like marksmanship....

It's the Indian, . . . not the arrow, that makes the shot.