Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

was out shooting today vs some canon

Sorry I cant show the pics on this site but let me tell ya wow my Kr held up next to this non pro canon 5D II shooter. He had that 5d II and 24-105 lens the red stripe one F4 but Im almost sure I got more keepers then him. I been always thinking about going to canon but now after holding that 5d just no way i would want that over k5 the thing feels like a brick for one. I know some ppl are going to be like its FF bla bla but for how much he had put into that system well i dont think i could justify it just to be a cool cat with canon

Sorry i couldnt give more info on the shoot but thought i would still share my thoughts

01-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest that this is a case of the person behind the camera is more important than the camera.
01-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'd suggest that this is a case of the person behind the camera is more important than the camera.
Always is, I don't think any system out there is not capable of a good picture provided the person using it has some talent (ok so that rules out me and 90% of us but still )
01-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A good photographer can get excellent pics with any camera (except for maybe a cell phone ). Kudos on being better than the canon shooter!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A good photographer can get excellent pics with any camera (except for maybe a cell phone ). Kudos on being better than the canon shooter!
Heck even a cell phone can be good in the right hands I was at an opening the other day where all the 12 x 12 prints were from an iPhone 4 and it was an excellent show.
01-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Look for digital rev on YouTube, some clips involve given pro`s a very cheap camera, quite interesting to see them try to work around the limitations.
01-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Look for digital rev on YouTube, some clips involve given pro`s a very cheap camera, quite interesting to see them try to work around the limitations.

Or use them to advantage
01-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
... digital rev on YouTube,...
You call them "pro"? hardly....they are just another marketing hype..

01-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You call them "pro"? hardly....they are just another marketing hype..
Some of the photogs that are shown on their Cheap Camera Pro Photographer challenges are pretty good pro's...
01-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Classico Quote
Sorry I cant show the pics on this site but let me tell ya wow my Kr held up next to this non pro canon 5D II shooter. He had that 5d II and 24-105 lens the red stripe one F4 but Im almost sure I got more keepers then him. I been always thinking about going to canon but now after holding that 5d just no way i would want that over k5 the thing feels like a brick for one. I know some ppl are going to be like its FF bla bla but for how much he had put into that system well i dont think i could justify it just to be a cool cat with canon

Sorry i couldnt give more info on the shoot but thought i would still share my thoughts

Once you realize that anyone can buy a flashy and expensive camera if he/she has enough dough, but that does not make one a "pro" user. I often shoot along with people having 5D, 5DII and D300s.. That does not make my k-5 gear less adequate than theirs.. just different, that's it.

So, just don't be afraid to shoot along with them....
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Some of the photogs that are shown on their Cheap Camera Pro Photographer challenges are pretty good pro's...
OK... agree on that part... I was referring to this chap with heavy British accent only... hehe...
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #12

It's funny what a working photogragher will use to get their pictures. I saw a Stratford newspaper reporter writer/ photogragher use a simple Fuji S700 bridge camera for their pictures while the other newspaper photogher from the other paper uses a lot of Nikon gear. Both create images that help tell a story and for the most part the images do the job. Once the pictures are printed in the newspapers you really can not tell for the most part what camera type was used.

Simply put, enjoy whatever camera you have and replace with one if needed to make you happy. Sometimes a cellphone camera may be the only one on hand to capture a image. Just try to get the best out of what you have. I read years ago about the pro using a simple camera as a test as to what they can do. In this case it was in a 1948/9 era photography book my dad had and I got my hands on to read. They used the example of using a simple browny box camera as compared to the higher end cameras of the day. The idea is the same, to work around the limitations of whatever simple camera has to offer. I own a number of these in digital form and test myself every once in a while. It makes a great way look at the basics of compostion etc.

I did this when doing a trip over to Europe in 2006. I did not feel like taking a expensive camera seeing I was by myself. A simple digital camera that I could carry around my neck worked out great. Working around the limitations of that camera helped me get simple effective pictures.

Last edited by stevbike; 01-17-2012 at 05:12 PM.
01-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
A simple digital camera that I could carrye around my neck worked out great. Working around the limitations of that camera helped me get simple effective pictures.
That's been my experience. The more lenses etc I bring, the more mediocre are my photos. Some of my best photos have been taken with either a dslr with a single prime along with me or a fixed lens compact. It just forces me to be more creative and I get better shots for it. Maybe it's just me, but even if it is just me, that's how I work best.
01-17-2012, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Often the real pros are focused on the result of photography, the print or image. Enthusiasts are often more focused on the means to take a photograph, the camera and lenses. Not to say there are no pros that are also gearheads but a pro who is making his living from the results is more interested in what the client thinks about the picture than he is about what lens, camera or system he used to take it. It is not about owning the latest flash, camera or lens it is ALL about getting the shot correct.
01-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
That's been my experience. The more lenses etc I bring, the more mediocre are my photos. Some of my best photos have been taken with either a dslr with a single prime along with me or a fixed lens compact. It just forces me to be more creative and I get better shots for it. Maybe it's just me, but even if it is just me, that's how I work best.
I think many people using D-slr only camera could learn something by going to a simpler camera. It is not just yourself. I think that the forum had a contest using simple point and shot cameras a while back. There was a bit of talk about what cameras could and could not be used. This would be a great place to showcase the use of the creative simple camera.