Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I don't know who it was but someone did an test with and without an IR filter on the K5 on his blog and differnce was obvious.
I just looked up the cost of an IR blocking filter (cuts light frequenciies both below (IR) and above (UV) visible light) ... the 52mm size to fit the K-r kit DA L 18-55mm lens runs around US$75. Ouch. On the other hand, if you are frequently using auto-focus in affected conditions, and this helps, it may be worth the cost.

02-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by stevedh Quote
Ok I don't expect anyone has an answer, but we Had Promised our Daughter we would get her one and wont be in a position to do so until Next Month, just in time for a school trip.
I'm in the uk, and its already getting very hard to find one available for sale, especially as she had her Heart set on a white one, also prices have started to rocket.
were Pentax selling this for a loss, seems strange that they canned it especially as my computer mag has it listed as the Dslr to get...
Did you get the white K-r for your daughter?
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

the smaller ones are under the $60 on amazon.
I dont want to place it on the lens but in infront of the entrance to the AF sensor at the bottom of the mirror housing for a perminant solution
02-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlqhmd Quote
Did you get the white K-r for your daughter?
Erm... I'm not quite sure how this happened, but she is now the proud owner of a K-5.. hopefully it will last her through the rest of school and uni.
Interestingly based on the change in average earnings the price works out almost exactly what my 1st SLR, a pentax ME Super, cost me 30 years ago..admittedly I had to buy it myself with the money I made from a Saturday job, but then my dad wasn't desperate to play with my new toy

02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
At this stage it's not very clear if there will be a K-r DSLR replacement I suspect there will be. Question is how many users got fed up and wandered off to other makers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Darlene Quote
So the rest of us will get stuck in the future with a mirrorless hybrid with no optical viewfinder if we need to upgrade from the K-r. No thanks. Not buying any more Pentax lenses till I see how they sort the bodies out because it looks like Pentax is catering to its very experienced users and to absolute newbies with their future cameras. Where does that leave the mid-range, more casual shooter with prior DSLR experience? Back to Nikon, I guess. That's unfortunate because I really do like Pentax and its lenses. I just don't see a replacement camera for me. I don't see a future. I hope I am wrong, but my mistake was in assuming there would always be a traditional K-x / K-r replacement. Not some cheap to build camera that doesn't even offer an optical viewfinder.
Precisely where I am now, Darlene and Mr. Spocko. Although I am telling myself that I can't see a future because one has not been presented yet, save for the K-01 (which I like but won't be buying - given my eyesight needs, an eye-level view finder of some sort is a MUST). Additionally, I am thinking that Pentax needs time to sort itself out since its sale to Ricoh, and the earthquake impacts in Japan may also be delaying things a bit. At any rate, the hope is that the models to come will be well executed with real value-added improvements. Better to get it right than rush a flawed product to market.

All that said, at some point later this year I'll make a body purchase. If there is not clarity by that time I might be one of those wandering off to others. Never thought I'd say that as I really like Pentax.
02-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, the K-01 is not the replacement of the K-r so we need to wait for an announcement of some sort about that. The new model is aimed at users who have bought other brands and uses adapter to put their Pentax lenses on.