Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
It really seems like there's a much higher chance from the baseline.

How nearby would the players need to be in order to get decent results from flash? Wouldn't using a flash when players are too far away actually be a bad thing for the image quality?
I've been shot at with flash from the baseline and it was still unnoticeable. But that's not the set-up I would use. I would be more inclined to do as David Hobby does and have 4 flashes at each corner in the stands firing off wireless triggers. And no the distance to the player won't degrade image quality, light is light, you just need to use more power the further your light source is from the subject (or wider aperture/high ISO, but that's a technique matter).

I would say at this stage a faster lens might be the first step, then speedlights, then a new body. But it comes down to your wallet and how soon you want to work on improving the shots, as you can go the speedlight route for even less than 1/4 the cost of a 70-200/2.8.

01-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
I've been shot at with flash from the baseline and it was still unnoticeable. But that's not the set-up I would use. I would be more inclined to do as David Hobby does and have 4 flashes at each corner in the stands firing off wireless triggers. And no the distance to the player won't degrade image quality, light is light, you just need to use more power the further your light source is from the subject (or wider aperture/high ISO, but that's a technique matter).
I guess it only made sense in my head. What I meant by the flash degrading the quality is if the player is out of the range of the flash, if it would ultimately cause the image to be darker? I guess I would need to try this out for myself to really understand.
01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never shot any sports, so I can't comment, but check out: adoramaTV's Channel - YouTube

Of course that guy shoot's in a much larger space than a local gym, but i'm sure the same stuff applies...ish

Last edited by Tom Woj; 01-23-2012 at 07:22 PM.
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally use my flash for basketball but turn it off for freethrows. For volleyball I avoid flash more but have been able to use it without any complaints. I usually shoot using manual settings and set the flash to 1/8 out even less power. The newspaper photo guys use flash as well for basketball. One guy has a setup with flashes set in the top of the stands.

01-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I guess it only made sense in my head. What I meant by the flash degrading the quality is if the player is out of the range of the flash, if it would ultimately cause the image to be darker? I guess I would need to try this out for myself to really understand.
That's part of the advantage of having the flash near the stands, the further the subject is to begin with, the less that distance will change as they move around the court and subsequently the less the exposure will be affected.
05-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Understanding Exposure is a very useful book, For free, you could just study this. Ultimate Exposure Computer
very good exposure info, thanks for sharing.