Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best M42 screwmount adapter for K-r

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
Does anyone know which brand of screw mount M42 is very good to use in combination with a Takumar 200mm f: 4 lens?
I have a Pentax K-r camera.
I read some documentation and some reviews on internet.
I understood that are some bad quality adapters M42 and is possible to get your camera or the lens damaged
Thank you.

01-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you use a flange-less adapter. Your best bet is the genuine pentax one.

Also here is a good generic one: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Adam,
Thank you for the tip.
Can I put the question in another way?
Which would be the M42 adapters which should i not buy it?
Is a way to recognize them?
On the market are thousand of chinese, fake screw mounts and also cheap....like 10 euro.
I understood that the spring locking clip can break after a period of interchanging the lens -es.
Is something that eventually doesn’t have that spring locking clip?
01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielS. Quote
Which would be the M42 adapters which should i not buy it?
Unfortunately it is rather hard to answer that question. Except for the ones with flanges, most of the knock offs work fine, most of the time. The problem is that sometimes they can be made or machined poorly and end up not working well. In general I have been happy with the ebay clones but I did get 2 from one seller that were junk and tossed them out.

The official Pentax one works first time every time. The cheaper clones usually work. You pays your money and takes your chances. For me if I was only getting one then definitely get the official Pentax one. If you want a bunch to use on each lens instead of swapping then I would try the clones.

I have two Pentax ones, one in each bag, and a few clones on various lenses that I use a lot. On those I removed the clip and I only use them on a tripod as once the clip is gone the only attachment is the friction fit.

And I'm not sure what the current price for the Pentax one is, less than $30 usd anyway so 10 euro for the clone is not for me enough savings to risk it.

01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Price M42 adapter for Europe

I was just locking on the price.. For a genuine Pentax ,to have it also shipped to Europe will cost me 120 bucks..
That's like 100 euro.
For an Pentax M42 adapter...That's not fair.
As a lot of things in a life time..
So if i want to use a lens with a M42 screw mount (which is old school lens) than you must pay 1/4 from your camera price...
Smart for Pentax - manufacturer.
Maybe i should focus on third party manufacture!
01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a genuine Pentax ,to have it also shipped to Europe will cost me 120 bucks..
That's crazy. Sorry to hear that, I paid about $25 for one of mine and got the other with a lens I bought.

Here is the link to the Pentax web store, is that where you checked?
01-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #7

I bought this one for my K-r:
eBay Italia - Aste online e shopping a prezzo fisso
And it's doing a nice work with my only M42 lens, a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/2.5 v2. I'm in Italy, so it's 6 euros shipping included. They send it as a "gift" to avoid custom taxes...
Hope it helps

01-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

lots of similar threads asking this question and the $45-ish genuine Pentax adapter will never steer you wrong. I bought a separate M42 adapter for every screwmount lens i own and i've spent from $7-$45 each. I will say the BEST adapter i ever bought happened to be a $7 chinese knockoff. But the worst one i ever bought was also a $7 knockoff.
01-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That's like 100 euro.
For an Pentax M42 adapter...That's not fair.
I know the feeling; but I considered it worth it and a good deal on the FA31Ltd eased the pain a bit.

Some you win, some you loose.
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
I tried this site...
QuoteOriginally posted by lordofthestrings Quote
eBay Italia - Aste online e shopping a prezzo fisso
To be honest this i ment with bad quality.
I am not sure if this mount will destroy the camera or the lens.
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Not to Europe

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That's crazy. Sorry to hear that, I paid about $25 for one of mine and got the other with a lens I bought.

Here is the link to the Pentax web store, is that where you checked?
Jatrax,
i tried to order from that site but didn't work buddy.
I see no option to buy it from there and then to ship it here, in Europe.
Thank you anyway!
01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS B&H
Adam,
i found there some prices...just for one M42 mount:
M42 mount....$15,95 - good price
Shipping: UPS shipment "just for" ...$43,46 (three times the mount price)
And the final punch (like until now wasn't enough!) Duties&Taxes .....guess
Make it again 3 times the mount price and you come toooo....another $44,31
So the total of 1 Pentax screw mount M42 is : 103,72 bucks
That kind of business i want also to do.
I will get rich in 1 year for sure.
Thank you for the information.
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This is the one I bought awhile back. I'd characterize it as a decent copy, and haven't had any problems with it. The spring is accessible enough I can use a fingernail to turn it for removal. I couldn't argue with $10 shipped, worked out well for me. YMMV of course.

This has been the subject of some pretty crazy threads, people with strong opinions on both sides. Personally, I think it's nuts to pay $40 and up for a simple threaded metal ring. Nobody pays that for step rings or reversal rings.
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Adam,
i found there some prices...just for one M42 mount:
M42 mount....$15,95 - good price
Shipping: UPS shipment "just for" ...$43,46 (three times the mount price)
And the final punch (like until now wasn't enough!) Duties&Taxes .....guess
Make it again 3 times the mount price and you come toooo....another $44,31
So the total of 1 Pentax screw mount M42 is : 103,72 bucks
That kind of business i want also to do.
I will get rich in 1 year for sure.
Thank you for the information.
Just buy a Chinese M42 adapter or three with free shipping. When they arrive, unscrew and remove the spring (throw them away), and mount the adapter to your lens. Use a PK rear lens cap to torque the adapter on very tight to the lens and use your screw mount lens like a K mount lens without the lens lock. There are many of us who has gone this route instead of depending on the leaf spring on the adapter to keep the lens in place. Only the genuine Pentax Adapter is safe to use with the leaf spring in place, all other adapters (regardless of where you get them from) are buyer beware.
01-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #15

I have to be totally honest..... The first time I use that adapter I did it "the wrong way", because it should be first mounted on the body with its tool and then you screw your lens on it. I screwed first the adapter to the lens and then attached the lens (with the adapter on it) to the body. It probably went on "not so good" and I damaged the lens screw thread........... Fortunately it still works good but I always think about the damage and the risk of not being able to eventually resell the lens if it ever would happen... Uh, just another info, but I know I'm not the only one: a lot of screw mount lenses happen to mount with the "numbers" upside down. Probably it is to blame to some adapters too.