Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Macro setting LV focusing question

I'm a bit perplexed...when I use my macro lens on live view, it zooms way in on the object than goes back out...is this normal?

01-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Auto-focusing
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you using autofocus? Are you a little bit too close to your object for even the tiny minimum range to work on a macro lens?
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should generally use manual focus for macro, or manually get the lens close to achieving lock and then use AF to perfect it.

If you do rely on AF, you'll frequently see your lens hunt, unfortunately- though it does depend on the shooting conditions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've noticed that LV-AF on the K-5 will often lock onto a completely wrong focus (not even close -- just locks onto a total blur) rather than continuous hunting, although it does it a hell of lot faster than the K-7 so it has that going for it...
01-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've noticed that LV-AF on the K-5 will often lock onto a completely wrong focus (not even close -- just locks onto a total blur) rather than continuous hunting, although it does it a hell of lot faster than the K-7 so it has that going for it...
With phase AF the camera will keep trying but with contrast is just goes through the focus range and if it couldn't find anything to lock on it simply stops.
01-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
With phase AF the camera will keep trying but with contrast is just goes through the focus range and if it couldn't find anything to lock on it simply stops.
Yes, exactly. Unfortunately this means you can't really trust it because it isn't always obvious whether it really locked onto something or not, so you end up using the digital zoom to check it. Almost always end of manually focusing in LV...
01-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I need to test it but i believe it stops at either end of the focus range so that wouldn't be that hard to spot if out of focus or not

Also it gives an focus confirmation if it locks on you know.

01-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Mine seems to beep like it has focused on something no matter what. Often just a blur though.
01-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's live view, it should be contrast detect right? Maybe often times, even though it's a blur, the contrast detect system actually found a solid line of contrast in the blur...
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'll have to play with it some more, but sometimes it seems to lock on and is just totally unfocused -- possibly this is actually not locking on but is just stopping one one end or another of the range as suggested. Other times it locks onto something and ALMOST achieves sharp focus but not quite -- it seems like it should do a little more hunting here and it would be ok but it just stops. And other times it nails it and is completely on.

Are the ultimate results on the K-5 the same as on the K-7 except faster? The K-7 is SO slow in LV that I never really had the patience to bother with it -- I'd either use manual or would use the normal AF. I was excited to see the K-5 go so fast, but it doesn't nail it often enough...
01-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Mine seems to beep like it has focused on something no matter what. Often just a blur though.
Not with the K5 just tested it.
Focus lock = beep + green focus square
no lock = no beep + red square
01-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Not with the K5 just tested it.
Focus lock = beep + green focus square
no lock = no beep + red square
I will investigate further, thanks.
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #14

Original Poster