Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I bought one for 5$. The quality looks good, but I was disappointed, when I put the holder first time to the camera. I use rechargable NiMH batteries and with these batteries I can take only few pictures and the camera is switched down. Maybe there is any problem with the batteries, but I triedd three sets of batteries with the same result. Does anyone have similar experience?

02-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harrys77 Quote
I bought one for 5$. The quality looks good, but I was disappointed, when I put the holder first time to the camera. I use rechargable NiMH batteries and with these batteries I can take only few pictures and the camera is switched down. Maybe there is any problem with the batteries, but I triedd three sets of batteries with the same result. Does anyone have similar experience?
Try Sanyo Eneloops, although with only 2000mAh they are great. Initially i've tried with 2 different brands of 2800mAh, freshly charged and the K-r didn't even start.
02-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I bought this one: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I'm still waiting for it.. But being from HK I will wait for quite some time.. anyways.. I will post if it works when I get it... But I'm 100% sure it will work.

I contacted my Pentax distributor and he said that he does not understand why an original AA holder is so expensive, that I am most likely better of with "cheap" copies. If you ask me, buying original AA battery holder is simple tax for stupidity (but if money is no variable in your life than its ok).
It's not a complicated part that makes difference in operating the camera... It is like if you buy genuine lens cap instead of some no name brand. It is just a piece of plastic with metal contacts.

I bought 8 eneloops. The thing about eneloops is that you can charge them 1500 times (so they say). I had 2500mAh Energizers which i charged around 100 times and they died even though they weren't used in some ultra mega power sucking device like DSLR, they were used in guitar processor.
Another thing about eneloops is that they don't lose around 20% of initial charge after 24 hours.
If you look closely, every brand like Panasonic, Energizer, Duracell, Sony and regular Sanyos are rateed well above 2500mAh. But they lack the cycle stamina, they are all officially rated for no more than 300 cycles. In other words eneloops are the best possible batteries currently on the market. There are those XX eneloops with 2500mAh. But they are rated for 500 cycles and are more expensive. So, 25% more power in comparison to regular eneloops but 1000 times less cycles. I have had 4 eneloops for 3 yrs and they are still holding strong in my Wii-motes and come nowhere near to my other Panasonic 2650mAh which are rated for 300 cycles. That is not even a year if you charge them every day.

maybe your k-r did not start due to low voltage of all rechargable AA batteries... They are rated for 1.2v instead of 1.5.. But fully charged eneloops give a higher peak voltage, I measured freshly charged pack averaged around 1.45. And because of that not all devices are compatible with rechargeable batteries (I don't mean the k-r is one of them)

good article on batteries: Low self-discharge NiMH battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by zvon; 02-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.
02-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #19

I received the holder this morning. It works normally as it should. It even isn't made out of cheap squeaky plastic.

02-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #20

I got a cheap $10 from eBay and have a friend who got suckered into getting the Pentax one. To be honest there really isn't any noticeable difference in quality. I am really hard pressed to understand how they thought changing $50 was ever a good idea. It's such a simple thing.
02-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #21

Thanks for the replies. Ive ordered the one zvon ordered. How long did it take to arrive?
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

Careful with the cheap knockoffs - they tend not to fit just right and may cause intermittent power issues
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

That's the first I've heard of anyone having an issue with one of these. Pretty much every post about them has said they work just as well as the Pentax one. Where did you get your problematic one?

02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
Thanks for the replies. Ive ordered the one zvon ordered. How long did it take to arrive?

it took mine about 7-8 days which is super fast considering it is from Hong Kong, usually stuff from there takes about 20-25 days in average. I'm from Croatia.

Considering this power problems jdunie mentioned. There could be some of the ultra cheap versions that are not only cheap knockoffs but steals.

I would just like to say that since rechargeable batteries are lower in voltage, camera does have a bit of trouble in reading the power level accurately. It's like one second it says its empty but after a few shots it says they're fresh (but try and remember when you recharged them), so don't trust the reading on the first look. All in all i was able to get around 40 minutes of video and around 300 shots combined with my eneloops which is far better than li-ion original battery. Just remember to put camera on Ni-MH battery type in setup menu to avoid any further trouble. And I doubt that this things do not happen with genuine battery holders, like I said it is just a piece of plastic with metal contacts, not a "rocket science" part. But than again, i have not seen the original one, maybe there is some hidden part in them which explains the astronomical price.
03-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Unfortunately, I purchased the Pentax model because that was all that was available at the time. One of the reasons I got the k-r was the ability to use AA batteries. I use rechargables but like the idea of being able to get batteries for it just about anywhere in the world.

I may have to pick up another one for an upcoming trip/quick change out.

- David
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jdunie Quote
Careful with the cheap knockoffs - they tend not to fit just right and may cause intermittent power issues
Really??

I've got mine for about $8 and have used it lots of times (I always use Lithium AA batteries, when not using the standard rechargable battery of course) no problems at all (and it's not a "pentax" one...).

You must have a got one that was broken...

Last edited by JFN; 03-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Either the Pentax trade is much more prevalent in other parts of the world than here in the U.S. to justify a separate production of this part, or I tend to think the manufacturer of the official Pentax part ran the production line for a bit after finishing Pentax's order. I have two non-Pentax AA adapters ordered from different suppliers and they are physically the same.

I keep both loaded wtih eneloops, with a rubber band around the the one not in the camera and the whole module in a plastic sandwich bag. It makes for a quick swap in the field. And I like the security of being able to buy a set of AA alkalines almost anywhere if I am unable to recharge the eneloops. One thing I have learned is to not use the 'Auto' setting when using AA batteries, but to specify the type in use. The camera's battery guage is more accurate.
03-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
I couldn't find the Pentax AA holder for sale anywhere. I tried small retailers and lage stores such as Jessops. Fellow in a Leeds store even said the item was discontinued!

So I gave up and bought a cheap one form ebay for 3.80 with free P&P.

Quality seems ok and it works, all for less than a fiver. I just wish pentax had either fitted AA contacts in the K-r or at least shipped it with the battery holder.

Last edited by Barmybobuk; 03-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.
03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdunie Quote

Never had a single issue ever with my "cheap knockoff". Haven't seen any reported here either, other than your assertion.
03-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #30

Hi, this is my first post in this nice forum.

Is there any reasonable reason for using AA batteries+holder in everyday usage? Voltage of batteries is bit lower but I'm interested of gained weight Has someone got better ergonomics by more weighty AA batteries instead of original Nimh battery?