Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I'm sure the dust is definitely on the rear element as cleaning it made most of the spots in my pictures disappear.
It's the large aperture that hid the dust. As I said, dust on the rear element won't be very noticeable in your pictures. You'll see it again when you shoot at a smaller aperture.

02-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It's the large aperture that hid the dust. As I said, dust on the rear element won't be very noticeable in your pictures. You'll see it again when you shoot at a smaller aperture.
Thanks I see what you mean but I shot some sunsets and landscapes at the weekend with small apertures and didn't get as much dust as I had before, that's why I believe the cleaning has partially worked
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #33

Original Poster
Thanks I see what you mean but I shot some sunsets and landscapes at the weekend with small apertures and didn't get as much dust as I had before, that's why I believe the cleaning has partially worked
Ok guys so my worst fear has been confirmed - it is sensor dust and there is quite a lot of it. Cleaned two lenses and took pictures with them both of white paper and blue sky and dust visible in same location on each. Have tried blasting with my blower but it won't budge - guess it could be smudges?

The dust alert now shows clear however but I think that is hit and miss as I bet if I do it again it will
Show dust - guess its not v accurate?

So in summary guess I need to do a sensor clean - best to get the Pentax kit? I've been quoted $80 to take it in to a shop and have them do it. Am
I better off doing that?

Cheers
02-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #34

Original Poster
Ok guys so my worst fear has been confirmed - it is sensor dust and there is quite a lot of it. Cleaned two lenses and took pictures with them both of white paper and blue sky and dust visible in same location on each. Have tried blasting with my blower but it won't budge - guess it could be smudges?

The dust alert now shows clear however but I think that is hit and miss as I bet if I do it again it will
Show dust - guess its not v accurate?

So in summary guess I need to do a sensor clean - best to get the Pentax kit? I've been quoted $80 to take it in to a shop and have them do it. Am
I better off doing that?

Cheers
So It looks like for me its between the Dust Aid Platinum (https://www.cameracheckpoint.com.au/shop/pages/dustaid-platinum.html) or the Pentax OCK-1

Which is the best??

02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as you have a DSLR, you'll have problems with dust on the sensor. Learn how to remove it yourself now and save a lot of money in the end. It is not very difficult and there are a lot of threads dealing with the details of how to, and different opinions about how to go about it.
My routine is as follows
1. Camera dust remover 10 times, if that fails
2. Blower, if that fails
3. Cheap plastic pen. Use the back, wrap a micro fiber cloth around it, and lightly sweep over the area where dust was spotted, to loosen the dust, then the blower to remove the dust. if that fails
4. Wet clean with sensor swab and Eclipse.

I've also learned that prevention is better than cure, and to be careful where and how I change my lenses. Always in a place that is as dust free as possible, with as little air movement as possible, and with the camera mount turned down. I change lenses a lot and this routine works for me

edit: I found the best way to check for dust on the sensor is to ignore the dust alert function. Lens on the smallest aperture you can, f22 should do, put your camera in manual focus, focus to infinity, and take a shot of the sky, blue or cloudy, as long as it is more or less uniform in colour.

Last edited by altopiet; 02-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.
02-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
3. Cheap plastic pen. Use the back, wrap a micro fiber cloth around it, and lightly sweep over the area where dust was spotted, to loosen the dust, then the blower to remove the dust. if that fails
Same principle as what I do with an artist's brush. I find it works well enough. Be sure not to handle the micro fiber cloth too much, I could see skin oils causing some nasty smearing issues if it got transferred from the cloth to the sensor.

So It looks like for me its between the Dust Aid Platinum (https://www.cameracheckpoint.com.au/shop/pages/dustaid-platinum.html) or the Pentax OCK-1
The Pentax one is probably a bit better, but it's hard to say. There's also a knockoff version by Optex (or was it Opteka? I always get those two mixed up) that only costs about $15. They all work by the same principle. A pad of tacky rubber like material that is meant to lift the dust from the sensor, which can then be wiped off from the tool. Just never, ever try to wipe the sensor with one of these. It will cause smearing issues. They're only meant to be used by touching them to the sensor, and lifting it away, without any lateral movement. The Pentax one has a good reputation, but is ridiculously priced considering the materials. The knockoffs should be about as good, but it's trial and error since there are less reviews of them to base a buying decision on.

I'd try simpler methods first. You'll probably find something that works for you, that doesn't require an outlay of cash. A good blower is a must, and make sure it's plastic rather than rubber. There have been claims of rubber ones ejecting small particles of rubber onto the sensor, and it kinda makes sense. I wouldn't risk it.
02-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #37

Original Poster
Same principle as what I do with an artist's brush. I find it works well enough. Be sure not to handle the micro fiber cloth too much, I could see skin oils causing some nasty smearing issues if it got transferred from the cloth to the sensor.

The Pentax one is probably a bit better, but it's hard to say. There's also a knockoff version by Optex (or was it Opteka? I always get those two mixed up) that only costs about $15. They all work by the same principle. A pad of tacky rubber like material that is meant to lift the dust from the sensor, which can then be wiped off from the tool. Just never, ever try to wipe the sensor with one of these. It will cause smearing issues. They're only meant to be used by touching them to the sensor, and lifting it away, without any lateral movement. The Pentax one has a good reputation, but is ridiculously priced considering the materials. The knockoffs should be about as good, but it's trial and error since there are less reviews of them to base a buying decision on.

I'd try simpler methods first. You'll probably find something that works for you, that doesn't require an outlay of cash. A good blower is a must, and make sure it's plastic rather than rubber. There have been claims of rubber ones ejecting small particles of rubber onto the sensor, and it kinda makes sense. I wouldn't risk it.
Ok thanks guys im keen to try the simple and cheap methods first. My dad is over at the moment and he recommended cleaning the sensor with a cotton wool bid or two and some aftershave or anything alcoholic. Says he has used this back in the day and works fine - what do you think??

The weird thing is that looking at the sensor there is no dust or marks that I can see but always in same place on pics - guess just too small for naked eye?

Cheers
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #38
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would not put something like cotton etc. even near my camera house.

Use the K-r built in dust removal program, run it 7-8 times and you'll probably be good... if not, run it again, and again... etc.

Good Luck!

Last edited by JFN; 02-16-2012 at 01:59 AM.
02-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Says he has used this back in the day
On sensors?
The weird thing is that looking at the sensor there is no dust or marks that I can see but always in same place on pics - guess just too small for naked eye?
Sometimes they are difficult to see.
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

My dad is over at the moment and he recommended cleaning the sensor with a cotton wool bid or two and some aftershave or anything alcoholic. Says he has used this back in the day and works fine - what do you think??
Oh my. Definitely not! Cotton will leave fibers all over, and anything but the purest alcohol will leave a residue when it dries. You're right about the dust being too small to see, but it makes sense when you think about how tiny the individual pixels of the sensor are. Don't use liquids unless absolutely necessary, and then use something well known for the purpose like Eclipse.
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #41

Original Poster

Awesome thanks just checked out the Opteka one and it looks the business - I can pick it up
Super cheap too. Decided to go for that so will order it and let you know how I get on.

My concern was spending all that money on the Pentax kit and then finding out I needed a wet clean rather than a dry clean, the Opteka is so cheap this doesn't matter :-)

I figured using cotton wool buds and aftershave wasn't sensible - I guess he didn't mean for sensors. Decided to leave the dust as is until I get a proper kit as I can remove it in PP for now.

Also tried the dust removal program like a million times and doesn't make a difference - I find that the dust alert function isn't perfect either and sometimes shows clear when the dust spots are still in my pics.

Thanks for pointing me to the Opteka one
02-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #42

Original Poster
One other quick questions aside from the Opteka dry cleaner should I get a wet clean kit? I've just had another go with the blower and some of it looks like smudges or perhaps its just dust which is stuck to the glass - can't blow it off at all. Maybe the Opteka dry cleaner might clear off the dusty smudges ok?

Really frustrating as off to Cairns tommorow - all the dust will ruin my nice pics! a lot of post processing will be needed!
02-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #43
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search for:

Arctic butterfly

on google, or here on the forum... or both..
02-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Search for:

Arctic butterfly

on google, or here on the forum... or both..
Thanks I know of the Artic butterfly but was looking for a cheaper wet clean kit. Maybe I should try my Opteka one first see if that does enough then get wet clean if needed. Can you buy swabs or something just for individual wet cleans - that's prob all I'll need.

Cheers
02-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #45

Original Poster
Well guys don't take your camera to the Camera House in Cairns. We are on holiday there do I decided to just get the dust cleaned professionally. The guy didn't seem to know what he was doing (should have just left the shop then!). When I picked it up the dust specks were still there and if anything they are worse!

He wanted some money but I refused to pay full price so I gave him a token $20! He said he used wet and dry swabs and couldn't clean it any better. Recommended I take it to a camera repair shop near where I live in Brisbane (Andersons). I've ordered the Opteka too but figured if he can't get the dust off then neither will I!

Going to tell this other place when I go that I'm not paying unless it's spotless - is that reasonable??

What a nightmare!

Cheers

Alex