Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I didn't move it around but wiggled on the spot.
I'd guess that's the problem. They're meant to be used with a light touch and remove pattern, like using a rubber stamp but gentler. The surface should be slightly tacky, but handling it is a bad idea as you'll transfer oils from your hands onto it, which will get transferred to the sensor.

I'm still on the fence about using these. I've checked them out in stores, and read all I can on them, but haven't picked one up yet. Honestly, I haven't had any problems that required more than what I'm doing now, yet anyway. I just use an artist's brush and blower.

03-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #62

Original Poster
Well guys just thought i'd give you an update, I now have a whole arsenal of dust cleaning products! I took delivery of my Clear skies brushes last week and had a go with them - they are great! I had to use both brushes because the first got quite messy, ended up sort of wiping across the sensor with the brush and then going back the other way. I managed to clear all but two specks of dust! I also had purchased some eclipse wet cleaning swabs a few weeks before, they turned up but might not need them in the end! I'm going to have one more go and see if I can't get it completely clean.

With regards to washing the brushes i simply rinsed them in cold water then left them to air dry (with the brush not touching any surface), does this sound ok?

Thanks

Alex
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Well guys just thought i'd give you an update, I now have a whole arsenal of dust cleaning products! I took delivery of my Clear skies brushes last week and had a go with them - they are great! I had to use both brushes because the first got quite messy, ended up sort of wiping across the sensor with the brush and then going back the other way. I managed to clear all but two specks of dust! I also had purchased some eclipse wet cleaning swabs a few weeks before, they turned up but might not need them in the end! I'm going to have one more go and see if I can't get it completely clean.

With regards to washing the brushes i simply rinsed them in cold water then left them to air dry (with the brush not touching any surface), does this sound ok?
Rinsing with water should be ok. Distilled water would be the best, as tap water contains impurities. I think I'd rather dry them with a hairdryer. If you leave them sit out, they could collect extra dust. I've used my brushes multiple times without rinsing them. You shouldn't usually have to rinse them. Just knock the dust off thoroughly with a clean edge like a butter knife & you should be good for another cleaning.

Just make sure they are COMPLETELY dry before you use them again. Otherwise, you'll re-dirty up the sensor. And before you use them, knock the dust off that may have gotten on them after rinsing with a clean butter knife.

By the way, the one stubborn speck that was on my sensor that I wasn't worried about anyway apparently fell off. Yours might too. My theory is that the speck was infused with a tiny bit of moisture that made it stick. When it dried up completely, it fell off.

Good luck,
Bob :-)