Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Dust issues with my K-r

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with dust in my Pentax K-r. Recently I noticed quite a few dust spots in my shots - mostly noticeable when shooting blue skies. I bought myself a Giottos rocket blower in the hopes that would sort the problem but unfortunately it hasn't. I have used the blower quite a bit and although it's better I can still notice dust spots. I only bought the medium sized blower - maybe I should have got the large one?

I use the dust cleaning mode on a regular basis but I find it doesn't work that great - one minute it indicates loads of dust then one shake later and apparently its clear.

I am thinking about getting some form of sensor cleaning kit to try and get rid of these specks. I have done my research and have found some possible candidates - Pentax O-ICK1, Dust Aid wand (Wet) and Dust Aid Platinum. The Pentax one is quite pricey over here in Australia whereas the Dust Aid ones are a lot cheaper so i'm leaning towards those.

What are your opinions on the above cleaning kits?

Also I seem to have some dust which has got into the viewfinder - I have cleaned the front of the focusing screen and its still there so i'm sure it must be behind - any tips on how I can blow this out? I've heard you can open the latch which holds the focusing screen fairly easily and then blow dust out?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

02-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the consensus here is get the O-ICK1 kit.
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think the consensus here is get the O-ICK1 kit.
I have same problem on my holidays last 2 weeks
got spots on photos
how easy is it to use
is it better to send it in for cleaning and what is the average cost
02-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hey!It's really easy to use..I think that is a "must have" equipment when You buy a dslr..there are a lot of different kits on the market but in my opinion this one is great..don't be afraid to use it..I'm a new owner of a dslr,too.

02-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

Inthe menu you can choose mirrorlockup and then remove the lens and by means of a strong vacuumcleaner carefully insert the tube and start .Be careful!I have succeeded in cleaning my sonīs K10D and my own K20 D to 99%.
Bertil
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Forum Member

1st of all and very important HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY!!!
02-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with dust in my Pentax K-r. Recently I noticed quite a few dust spots in my shots - mostly noticeable when shooting blue skies. I bought myself a Giottos rocket blower in the hopes that would sort the problem but unfortunately it hasn't. I have used the blower quite a bit and although it's better I can still notice dust spots. I only bought the medium sized blower - maybe I should have got the large one?

I use the dust cleaning mode on a regular basis but I find it doesn't work that great - one minute it indicates loads of dust then one shake later and apparently its clear.

I am thinking about getting some form of sensor cleaning kit to try and get rid of these specks. I have done my research and have found some possible candidates - Pentax O-ICK1, Dust Aid wand (Wet) and Dust Aid Platinum. The Pentax one is quite pricey over here in Australia whereas the Dust Aid ones are a lot cheaper so i'm leaning towards those.

What are your opinions on the above cleaning kits?

Also I seem to have some dust which has got into the viewfinder - I have cleaned the front of the focusing screen and its still there so i'm sure it must be behind - any tips on how I can blow this out? I've heard you can open the latch which holds the focusing screen fairly easily and then blow dust out?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Alex
Have you read the Kr Operating Manual pages 315-319?

They'll provide you a procedure for cleaning and detecting (location) of dust.

I had a dust problem that turned out to be dust on the lens. I played around with it for hours till i read the book. Once I ran the dust alert function I found it wasn't dust on the sensor
the dust was on the lens.

To clean the diopeter I use a blower and a pre-packaged lens cleaning wipe. Picked up the pre-packaged wipes, soft cloth, and spray at a local vision center.

02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I use canned gas routinely for dust removal. It makes people mental because they believe the urban myth that it will damage things. Use a little caution.
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Have you read the Kr Operating Manual pages 315-319?

They'll provide you a procedure for cleaning and detecting (location) of dust.

I had a dust problem that turned out to be dust on the lens. I played around with it for hours till i read the book. Once I ran the dust alert function I found it wasn't dust on the sensor
the dust was on the lens.

To clean the diopeter I use a blower and a pre-packaged lens cleaning wipe. Picked up the pre-packaged wipes, soft cloth, and spray at a local vision center.
No I haven't read those pages actually and currently out in Australia for a while with no access to my manual (its back home) - dont suppose you could perhaps photograph the pages and send to me? :-)

Perhaps it isn't on my sensor - ran dust alert this morning and showed up clear.

Thanks
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Pentax K-r manual here

The above is the link to the English manual in .pdf form. I have it stored on both my notebook and my smartphone ... so I have access to it when I travel
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use these brushes from eBay. They're $18 including shipping for a 2-pack & they work better than anything else I've tried. ("lollipop TAC cleaner, Q-Tip, sensor pen") Using those, cleaning the sensor is a piece of cake.
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #12

If you anticipate cleaning the sensor there are some tips as well as caveats on this site that may be of use to you.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Regards
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I use these brushes from eBay. They're $18 including shipping for a 2-pack & they work better than anything else I've tried. ("lollipop TAC cleaner, Q-Tip, sensor pen") Using those, cleaning the sensor is a piece of cake.
Awesome they look quite promising - did you bother with the can of compressed air too or do they work ok without it?

Cheers
02-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

A plastic (not rubber) blower is good. Compressed air is bad. That's really crappy advice further up the thread.

Brushes can be effective in combination with a blower. I use soft artist's brushes these days, they're cheaper and seem to work fine. Use something soft like sable if you go this route, and alternate loosening dust with the brush, and then evacuating it with the blower, until you get the result you want.
02-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
A plastic (not rubber) blower is good. Compressed air is bad. That's really crappy advice further up the thread.

Brushes can be effective in combination with a blower. I use soft artist's brushes these days, they're cheaper and seem to work fine. Use something soft like sable if you go this route, and alternate loosening dust with the brush, and then evacuating it with the blower, until you get the result you want.
what type of artist brushes
theese ok or similar?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-ARTISTS-ROUND-PAINT-BRUSH-SET-NR-/37058...item564863f116