Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Alex, if he said he could clean it but didn't do it, why pay him at all? It is not unreasonable to only pay for a job done properly.

Is it possible to post a photo taken with the dusty sensor? (test shot of the sky at f22)

02-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Alex, if he said he could clean it but didn't do it, why pay him at all? It is not unreasonable to only pay for a job done properly.

Is it possible to post a photo taken with the dusty sensor? (test shot of the sky at f22)
Yeah you're right I probably shouldn't have paid him at all however on further investigation it doesn't seem to be a bit better than before although not massively.

I know in hindsight I should have not paid. Sure am away at the moment so will post a pic when I get back - might help you guys decide what cleaning it will need. Just want to get it sorted now the easiest and cheapest way possible.

Cheers
02-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Best of luck solving the problem quickly
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I know in hindsight I should have not paid. Sure am away at the moment so will post a pic when I get back - might help you guys decide what cleaning it will need. Just want to get it sorted now the easiest and cheapest way possible.
Personally, I wouldn't have given him one cent. Cleaning a sensor is a piece of cake if you do it right, and a camera repair guy should definitely know how to do it.

I have the Opteka TAC cleaner you ordered, and while it may help, it's not entirely effective and can leave residue that you'll have to clean off. After trying the Opteka cleaner, a Sensor Pen, and just a blower, here's what I've found works the best, hands down. It's quicker, safer, easier, cheap, and doesn't get crud on the sensor.

Here's more info on the method I use. It takes around 2 minutes & is a piece of cake.

Also, if you don't already have one, you should pick up a Giottos Rocket Blower. The large one works the best. It's one of my favorite pieces of kit and well worth the $15.

Dust on a sensor is just a fact of life for DSLR owners, unfortunately. I was leery of cleaning the sensor too, until I did it. It's no big deal, you just have to use common sense... And don't put aftershave on it! :-P

Good luck,
Bob :-)

02-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #50

Original Poster
Thanks Bob I am keen to try it myself to save money and more dissapointments. Have you managed to get your sensor 100% clear? I've read that it's impossible to get them completely clean so will have to live with a few small spots? Those brushes look great - only thing is it looks like my dust is completely welded stuck so would need a wet clean. Can you recommend a good wet clean kit? I have the blower yes but only the medium one - think I should order the large one really.

Also I don't keep the blower in a sealed bag, should I?

If you guys could post your wet clean method and what wet clean Kit
I should buy then that would be a great help!

Cheers

Alex
02-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Have you managed to get your sensor 100% clear?
On one, yes. On the other there's one stubborn little speck on the extreme left edge. But, it only shows up at f22 when aimed at the sky & it's easily fixed in post. No big deal. A certain amount of dust is to be expected. The only time it's an issue is when it pops up in many photos.

You can't be sure the dust is welded there until you try cleaning with a brush. The Opteka TAC cleaner is iffy. The brush is the way to go.

I haven't used a wet clean kit yet. They're kind of spendy & I don't want to deal with it 'til I have to. Keeping the blower in your camera bag should be sufficient to keep it reasonably clean. You could use a plastic bag if you want. Doesn't really need to be sealed airtight. When you're using it, it's exposed to air contaminants anyway.

Good luck,

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 02-18-2012 at 04:45 PM.
02-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
On one, yes. On the other there's one stubborn little speck on the extreme left edge. But, it only shows up at f22 when aimed at the sky & it's easily fixed in post. No big deal. A certain amount of dust is to be expected. The only time it's an issue is when it pops up in many photos.

You can't be sure the dust is welded there until you try cleaning with a brush. The Opteka TAC cleaner is iffy. The brush is the way to go.

I haven't used a wet clean kit yet. They're kind of spendy & I don't want to deal with it 'til I have to. Keeping the blower in your camera bag should be sufficient to keep it reasonably clean. You could use a plastic bag if you want. Doesn't really need to be sealed airtight. When you're using it, it's exposed to air contaminants anyway.

Good luck,

Ok thanks I might get some of those brushes then - do you use
Anything with them to 'charge' them to pickup the dust?

Will try that first and then wet clean if not.

Cheers

Alex

02-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #53

Original Poster
Ok thanks I might get some of those brushes then - do you use
Anything with them to 'charge' them to pickup the dust?

Will try that first and then wet clean if not.

Cheers

Alex
As above do you use anything to charge the brushes to pickup the dust? I've got a Giottos blower but it's only the medium sized one. I've heard I should get the large one really instead as its much more effective?

Cheers

Alex
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Hi Alex.

Sorry about the slow response. I use a large rocket blower. Here's the exact method I use.

Good luck,
03-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Hello, sorry for bumping an old thread, but I also own a K-r and the sensor gets dust on it very quickly. I always turn the camera off when changing lenses and try to keep it aimed downward. I only have three lenses, but I like to change them for various subjects. You know how it is, sometimes you need a wide angle, sometimes a normal prime, and sometimes a tele! I use Giottos' air rocket blower and it usually removes all the dust, but what bothers me is that dust shows up again very soon (albeit in a different pattern). Sometimes the dust isn't even noticeable until I edit the photos, when suddenly black spots appear in the otherwise clear sky! Attached is an image I took after using the air rocket and the camera's dust removal action. I took it with the DAL 50-200mm at f32 and closest focusing and then edited the raw in lighroom so all the dust specks become visible. Only the biggest ones are actually visible when taking normal pictures, though. I know it is the sensor because I get the same pattern when shooting with me DA35mm or the DAL18-55mm. This bothers me immensely, especially because I like landscape and sky pictures, which is the worst-case scenario for sensor dust.
Is there anything I can do to prevent dust from getting there in the first place? Should I store the camera in a plastic bag when not in use? Is this just a part of living in a city?

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 09:00 AM.
03-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Is there anything I can do to prevent dust from getting there in the first place? Should I store the camera in a plastic bag when not in use? Is this just a part of living in a city?
Do you keep a lens mounted or a body cap installed at all times? There may be exceptions, but I suspect a lens will provide better sealing than a body cap. And, how often do you vacuum your camera bag? Plastic bag storage sounds like more hassle than it is worth to me, but sure, it would cut down on dust infiltration.
03-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #57
Forum Member

how much does it cost to have camera professionally cleaned in australia
03-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #58

Original Poster
Well guys I wouldn't recommend the Opteka kit - tried it out today and it left smudges on the sensor. Short of waiting to get a wet clean kit I decided to try a cotton wool bid with a microfiber cloth on the end. I understand this was a big risk but it worked out ok - actually managed to clean alot of the dust off with that and and my large blower. However there are quite a few specks that remain - I think I'll need to wet clean it.

I have ordered some of those brushes recommended above so will try those before attempting wet clean.

What would you guys recommend for wet cleaning? I was thinking of getting some Eclipse Type 2 sensor swabs - are they any good?

Cheers

Alex
03-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Well guys I wouldn't recommend the Opteka kit - tried it out today and it left smudges on the sensor.
Odd. How did you go about using it? I could see any of this type causing smudging if you drag it across the sensor like a brush, but if you dab straight down on it then pull it straight back up, how would it smudge (unless it wasn't clean)? I'm not saying it didn't happen, just trying to understand why it would cause that problem for you.

FWIW, that's usually the issue when people complain about the Pentax lollipop. They aren't using it correctly. You're supposed to just touch it to the sensor and lift it straight away, without any horizontal motion or rubbing.
03-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #60

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Odd. How did you go about using it? I could see any of this type causing smudging if you drag it across the sensor like a brush, but if you dab straight down on it then pull it straight back up, how would it smudge (unless it wasn't clean)? I'm not saying it didn't happen, just trying to understand why it would cause that problem for you.

FWIW, that's usually the issue when people complain about the Pentax lollipop. They aren't using it correctly. You're supposed to just touch it to the sensor and lift it straight away, without any horizontal motion or rubbing.
Well I basically just put the larger lollipop on to the sensor and held it there briefly, I didn't move it around but wiggled on the spot. When I pulled it off it had left smudges on the sensor, I'm assuming this is because the lollipop is actually sort of sticky - maybe I should try and clean them first?

I must admit I was surprised myself - maybe I should contact them and complain? How do you clean your ones?

Cheers

Alex