Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
Dust issues with my K-r

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with dust in my Pentax K-r. Recently I noticed quite a few dust spots in my shots - mostly noticeable when shooting blue skies. I bought myself a Giottos rocket blower in the hopes that would sort the problem but unfortunately it hasn't. I have used the blower quite a bit and although it's better I can still notice dust spots. I only bought the medium sized blower - maybe I should have got the large one?

I use the dust cleaning mode on a regular basis but I find it doesn't work that great - one minute it indicates loads of dust then one shake later and apparently its clear.

I am thinking about getting some form of sensor cleaning kit to try and get rid of these specks. I have done my research and have found some possible candidates - Pentax O-ICK1, Dust Aid wand (Wet) and Dust Aid Platinum. The Pentax one is quite pricey over here in Australia whereas the Dust Aid ones are a lot cheaper so i'm leaning towards those.

What are your opinions on the above cleaning kits?

Also I seem to have some dust which has got into the viewfinder - I have cleaned the front of the focusing screen and its still there so i'm sure it must be behind - any tips on how I can blow this out? I've heard you can open the latch which holds the focusing screen fairly easily and then blow dust out?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

02-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,297
I think the consensus here is get the O-ICK1 kit.
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think the consensus here is get the O-ICK1 kit.
I have same problem on my holidays last 2 weeks
got spots on photos
how easy is it to use
is it better to send it in for cleaning and what is the average cost
02-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
Hey!It's really easy to use..I think that is a "must have" equipment when You buy a dslr..there are a lot of different kits on the market but in my opinion this one is great..don't be afraid to use it..I'm a new owner of a dslr,too.

02-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kristianstad
Posts: 3
Inthe menu you can choose mirrorlockup and then remove the lens and by means of a strong vacuumcleaner carefully insert the tube and start .Be careful!I have succeeded in cleaning my sonīs K10D and my own K20 D to 99%.
Bertil
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
1st of all and very important HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY!!!
02-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 267
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with dust in my Pentax K-r. Recently I noticed quite a few dust spots in my shots - mostly noticeable when shooting blue skies. I bought myself a Giottos rocket blower in the hopes that would sort the problem but unfortunately it hasn't. I have used the blower quite a bit and although it's better I can still notice dust spots. I only bought the medium sized blower - maybe I should have got the large one?

I use the dust cleaning mode on a regular basis but I find it doesn't work that great - one minute it indicates loads of dust then one shake later and apparently its clear.

I am thinking about getting some form of sensor cleaning kit to try and get rid of these specks. I have done my research and have found some possible candidates - Pentax O-ICK1, Dust Aid wand (Wet) and Dust Aid Platinum. The Pentax one is quite pricey over here in Australia whereas the Dust Aid ones are a lot cheaper so i'm leaning towards those.

What are your opinions on the above cleaning kits?

Also I seem to have some dust which has got into the viewfinder - I have cleaned the front of the focusing screen and its still there so i'm sure it must be behind - any tips on how I can blow this out? I've heard you can open the latch which holds the focusing screen fairly easily and then blow dust out?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Alex
Have you read the Kr Operating Manual pages 315-319?

They'll provide you a procedure for cleaning and detecting (location) of dust.

I had a dust problem that turned out to be dust on the lens. I played around with it for hours till i read the book. Once I ran the dust alert function I found it wasn't dust on the sensor
the dust was on the lens.

To clean the diopeter I use a blower and a pre-packaged lens cleaning wipe. Picked up the pre-packaged wipes, soft cloth, and spray at a local vision center.
02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
I use canned gas routinely for dust removal. It makes people mental because they believe the urban myth that it will damage things. Use a little caution.

02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Have you read the Kr Operating Manual pages 315-319?

They'll provide you a procedure for cleaning and detecting (location) of dust.

I had a dust problem that turned out to be dust on the lens. I played around with it for hours till i read the book. Once I ran the dust alert function I found it wasn't dust on the sensor
the dust was on the lens.

To clean the diopeter I use a blower and a pre-packaged lens cleaning wipe. Picked up the pre-packaged wipes, soft cloth, and spray at a local vision center.
No I haven't read those pages actually and currently out in Australia for a while with no access to my manual (its back home) - dont suppose you could perhaps photograph the pages and send to me? :-)

Perhaps it isn't on my sensor - ran dust alert this morning and showed up clear.

Thanks
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
Pentax K-r manual here

The above is the link to the English manual in .pdf form. I have it stored on both my notebook and my smartphone ... so I have access to it when I travel
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
I use these brushes from eBay. They're $18 including shipping for a 2-pack & they work better than anything else I've tried. ("lollipop TAC cleaner, Q-Tip, sensor pen") Using those, cleaning the sensor is a piece of cake.
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
bluenose's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: S. Ontario
Posts: 227
If you anticipate cleaning the sensor there are some tips as well as caveats on this site that may be of use to you.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Regards
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I use these brushes from eBay. They're $18 including shipping for a 2-pack & they work better than anything else I've tried. ("lollipop TAC cleaner, Q-Tip, sensor pen") Using those, cleaning the sensor is a piece of cake.
Awesome they look quite promising - did you bother with the can of compressed air too or do they work ok without it?

Cheers
02-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
A plastic (not rubber) blower is good. Compressed air is bad. That's really crappy advice further up the thread.

Brushes can be effective in combination with a blower. I use soft artist's brushes these days, they're cheaper and seem to work fine. Use something soft like sable if you go this route, and alternate loosening dust with the brush, and then evacuating it with the blower, until you get the result you want.
02-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
A plastic (not rubber) blower is good. Compressed air is bad. That's really crappy advice further up the thread.

Brushes can be effective in combination with a blower. I use soft artist's brushes these days, they're cheaper and seem to work fine. Use something soft like sable if you go this route, and alternate loosening dust with the brush, and then evacuating it with the blower, until you get the result you want.
what type of artist brushes
theese ok or similar?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-ARTISTS-ROUND-PAINT-BRUSH-SET-NR-/37058...item564863f116
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aid, blow, blower, camera, dust, k-r, kr, pentax, pentax k-r, screen, spots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-7 Dust Alert and Dust Removal Functions brosen Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 02-09-2016 04:43 AM
Please help!! Lens dust or sensor dust? paperbag846 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-15-2010 09:25 PM
Where does all the dust go? Aussieflicker Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 08-09-2010 10:16 PM
Blowing dust. Will I get more dust inside ? alphalt Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-12-2010 10:09 PM
dust on sensor or dust on lens 41ants Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 10-08-2009 10:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top