Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
which software please ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was just hoping for a little guideance with software,to my disappointment i have just found out that my edition of adobe elements 8 will not open my raw images from my new KR,so i was hoping someone out there maybe able to advise me on the software i should go for as i'm new to the world of DSLR ,should i upgrade my elements to version 10 to cope with the raw files,or lightroom 3 or go the whole hog and get the full photoshop cs 5.1,any advice would be greatly appreciated,i must admit i am leaning towards ps cs5 to kinda future proof myself and have alittle more control over my pictures. thanks again Matt.

02-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are many similar posts in the digital processing forum. I would look there for the 50 different answers you will get :-)

Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com

Do you have the latest ACR download from Adobe? I'm not sure how it works with v8, but when I had v6, I downloaded the newest ACR file for it to read the K20D. Does not appear to be available for pre-10 versions... :-(

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like SpecialK says there are many opinions and answers. Only you can decide, based on your budget, your skills, and your needs.

So what do you want to do with your photos? If you need adjustments and tweaking with lots of editing ability then Elements 10 is good. If you are looking for minor adjustments, cataloging and keywording along with printing and exporting then Lightroom is the way to go. If you are a graphics professional that spends 4 plus hours a day editing photos then Photoshop is what you need.

Personally I think Photoshop is major overkill for most photographers. You generally do not need what it does and it has a very high cost in time to learn it.

I use Lightroom and export to Elements 8 for any editing that Lightroom cannot do. The combo works fine for me and the more I learn Lightroom the less I find I need Elements. Lightroom is designed for photographers not graphic artists. So retouching and adjustments are solid as is keywording, archiving and printing. But no layers or paint brushes.

Please note that there are open source programs that will also fill the bill. GIMP is a good editor that I use almost as much as Elements 8.

But the most important thing is to decide what you need to do and then get the software that does that with smallest learning curve.
02-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get Lightroom. It will grow with you.

02-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt268uk Quote
adobe elements 8 will not open my raw images from my new KR
elements 8 will not open .dng files?... really?
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
elements 8 will not open .dng files?... really?
K-r RAW defaults to PEF, you have to select DNG format. Which works plenty fine.
02-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
K-r RAW defaults to PEF, you have to select DNG format. Which works plenty fine.
K-5 RAW defaults to PEF too, you have to select DNG format.

02-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Always shoot DNG. It has far more compatibility with software on various platforms. Pentax's proprietary format is PEF, so they default to that out of vanity. IMO, they could do away with PEF altogether, there is no advantage to it.
02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes change to DNG and elements 8 will open your files

If your looking to by Lightroom , Amazon UK have it on sale for £95 at the moment
Lightroom 3 @ Amazon
02-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys, i never realised that the Kr's default setting was pef and i could change it to DNG, excellent news ,thankyou all working now :-)
02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

If you are after a free alternative Google Picasa is pretty good and and works with PEF. It has some basic editing tools that are pretty effective and its good at organizing your photos as well. That said I use lightroom as it can just do more. I seem to remember I read somewhere that if you have Adobe Elements you can download and use Adobe Camera Raw. I may be wrong with that but its worth a try.
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Get Lightroom or Aperture, both killer products for photographers.
02-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
I've really messed up.i downloaded a trial of adobe photoshop and uninstalled my version of elements,now my trial will expire. i never knew at the time that i could reset my camera to dng from pef,now i have to format my pc to get my origonal copy of elements back as it was bundled with the os system and not on the apps and data disc.i have so much on my pc and don't want to go through the painful procedure of formatting i might go ahead and pay for photoshop, Thanks to everyone that gave me all this valuable advice.
02-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt268uk Quote
I've really messed up.i downloaded a trial of adobe photoshop and uninstalled my version of elements,now my trial will expire. i never knew at the time that i could reset my camera to dng from pef,now i have to format my pc to get my origonal copy of elements back as it was bundled with the os system and not on the apps and data disc.i have so much on my pc and don't want to go through the painful procedure of formatting i might go ahead and pay for photoshop, Thanks to everyone that gave me all this valuable advice.
Before formatting, try a system restore.
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just get a later release of PSE, 9 or 10 for $50 to 100 and save a few hundred bucks over PS and the trouble of reformating

Hans