Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

need advice about image quality

Hello.. i need some advice... i am on the verge of selling my pentax kr because i am not happy with the video or image quality have been taking a lot of pictures but just feel they lack detail and have focus issues.
am i doing something wrong, is there some issues with my camera or is this the best the pentax k-r can do.

Attached Images

02-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Original Poster
these are some of the better pictures
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since it seems you are actually trying to get some answers rather than continue bashing the k-r...

1) What lens(es) are you using?
2) What mode are you using? For example, Manual mode, Av mode, Sv, Tv, That little picture of a person in a square mode.
3) Are you shooting in RAW or just JPEG?
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The first thing I would suggest is reading up on exposure compensation when shooting back lit scenes/subjects such as those in snow or water.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-06-2012 at 03:17 PM.
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
i am shooting in jpeg .... at the moment i have 3 lenses... 18-55 kit lens, smc 50f1.7 and f4-5.4 tokina 70-210 manual lens... i have experimented with just about every mode on the dial, i try not to use the auto pict mode cause those give the worst results. .. sometimes when i shoot in hdr mode i get much better results.
what really annoys me is that i sent some of the pics to pentax and they said it was perfectly normal, and there was nothing wrong... thats what really got me annoyed..
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
also have a smc 35 mm lens

Last edited by karlito; 02-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

All but the first one are under exposed (see my post above).
They were taken on an overcast day so mid-tone contrast is going to be low and will need a curves adjustment in PP.
No camera/lens combination is going to show detail in a black bird, or shaded trees in the snow without blowing out highlights.
The goose in the third one is out of focus. The center point of the image is the black neck. Not something that any camera is likely to be able to focus on.
I don't see anything that can't be attributed to operator error; or at least lack of understanding of how to use the camera in that particular situation.

02-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
also would like to note there is a lot of af hunting before it manages to focus on an object.
02-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How can the fault possibly be the camera when it is simply a light tight box that happens to hold one of the best DSLR sensors to be developed in the last 2 years?

The fault is mainly "user error" (both in capture and in post processing), and to a much less extend, "inferior lenses".

Problem #1 is exposure, your shots are way under exposed. You are doing something wrong for this to happen. The kit 18-55 makes it easier to get correct exposure, but manual lenses are tricky. I'd concentrate on using the kit lens to get correct exposure, and using some basic PP to get more out of your captures.
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
i do get good photos with the smc 50 f.17
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
will try using the kit lens again
02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karlito Quote
i am shooting in jpeg .... at the moment i have 3 lenses... 18-55 kit lens, smc 50f1.7 and f4-5.4 tokina 70-210 manual lens... i have experimented with just about every mode on the dial, i try not to use the auto pict mode cause those give the worst results. .. sometimes when i shoot in hdr mode i get much better results.
what really annoys me is that i sent some of the pics to pentax and they said it was perfectly normal, and there was nothing wrong... thats what really got me annoyed..
Admittedly, sending those pictures to Pentax isn't going to get you a serious answer - they've seen worse

Do you have a tripod? And is that 50 1.7 a autofocus lens? And which 35mm lens do you have (full name).

Try this - get that tripod out, find a pretty flower, point that k-r and the 50 1.7 at that flower, set it to F1.7, and Av mode at ISO 100, manual focus using the live-view screen (let me know if you want tips on this) and take that picture. Now look at that picture and say this camera cannot deliver a good shot.

Part of the reason why some of your shots seem cruddy is from bad exposure - you didn't use the right settings to achieve exposure. Some other reasons is because the shots you've shown don't actually have any contrasty bits. I don't expect much color in a picture of a black and white bird in a snowy landscape.

Use manual mode, learn how the shutter speed and aperture relate to each other and what is your lens' sharpest aperture (hint - F8), use ISO 200-800 when you are outside, use the 50 F1.7 and the 35mm more than your kit lens (the kit lens sometimes isn't very contrasty or sharp), and you'll see that the camera is capable; it's just that it hasn't been properly used.

If I can get that shot out of my k-x, I'm sure that it's bigger brother will do as well or better.

As far as autofocus goes - which lens are you talking about? Each of those lenses? Are you using center point focus? Do you aim at something with high contrast to get the accurate focus? Sometimes the camera isn't good enough when you point at a dull mass of black or white.
02-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's what the sensor can do, it's more than capable.

02-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
i do have a tripod.. and it is a smc50 f1.7....... here is one i took earlier with the kit lens
thanks for the advice, will try it with the settings you recomended.
is that picture taken with the pentax k-r??????wow??
Attached Images

02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
ohhhhh.....come on... there is just noooooooooooo wayyyy....noooo waaaaaayyyyy.... that we have the same camera..... are you guys serious.....