Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pop-up Flash w/18-55 P-mode question

Hi

I've realized that when using P-mode and 18-55 kit lens - the pop up flash sync at wide end results in 1/15th shutter speed and progresses up to 1/40th at the tele end. These are rather slow shutter speeds.

When I mount an old manual focus lens - the sync speed goes to a reasonable 1/180th. Is the 18-55 Kit lens telling the camera to bias towards ambient light and use a tripod? Would be nice to have faster sync when snap shooting in P-mode at parties and get togethers - rather than go to manual mode and select appropriate sync speed.

Just wanted to ask if this is by design and I haven't inadvertently set a wrong sync speed somewhere in the menu. I have the pop up flash set to standard Fill Flash mode.

Thank you in advance for any input.

02-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, in P mode the camera will select a shutter speed fast enough for handheld use based on the ambient light. The shorter the focal length, the slower shutter speed is handholdable. It cannot do that with with the manual focus lens since it doesn't know the focal length of the lens.

If you want to expose only for the flash light and not the ambient light, use M (or X if you have that) exposure mode and set the shutter speed to 1/180s and the aperture to provide the depth of field you want.

If you do want to expose for ambient light, but want to avoid too slow shutter speeds, use Tv mode and set the shutter speed yourself (at or below the sync speed).
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you very much for your quick response. I have just purchased the K-r last week and experimenting w/ its settings and modes. I will set it to Tv mode for faster sync when required as per your advice. Thank you once again.