Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wanted: user reports from K-r users about Katzeye Focusing Screen Performance

Can anyone who's actually had a Katzeye screen installed on a K-r offer any comments about performance (e.g., focus under different lighting condtions and different apertures)? I see many posts about installation, but wonder what the verdict is on performance

(Not interested in comments about (a) other camera bodies, (b) makers' focusing screens, (c) using Live View, or (d) waiting until other bodies come out this year. Thanks!)

02-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Watching this topic with interest as well. A new screen is on my agenda for this year, and Katzeye seems to be about the best available.
02-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ditto

I'm particularly interested in ease of install, and if/how AF is affected.
02-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok...

I currently have a Canon S-screen installed in my Kr. And i can tell you this, it is NIGHT and DAY difference, period.

Up to f/3.5 for me that is.. After that, it kinda get juuuuuuuust slightly darker than stock...
But this should NOT affect you as a user, as usually those who are looking for an improved FS are using fast primes/lens of <f/3.5..

Therefore, how useful is it? Imagine this in your head now, you CAN SEE the thin DOF of f/1.4 TRAVELLING across the frame in the VF. Like, literally... So yea~ Imagine for now, and see it for yourself when you have it installed.

The S-screen from focusingscreen.com is much cheaper compared to the KatzEye, installation is the same process, and if anyone were to tell you about darkening of the viewfinder, just smack them and show how much better is it?

My $0.2? It's darn good...
That opti-brite crap is a "gimmick" when compared to the focusingscreen.com's

EDIT: Oh... At f/1.2? The keeper's really high...! Basically when you are composing, you are literally ABLE TO SEE ANY subject within the frame pops in and out of focus. Crisp and sharp, just like how the picture will turn out at whatever your aperture is when wide open..

Installation-wise? Similar to ANY FS out there, might need a little bit of shimming here and there, it varies with different camera bodies. 1 plastic shim would place my subject at the end of the focal plane, whereas 3 pieces would place my subject at the beginning of the focal plane. I shimmed till i could place my focus subject at the center of the FS plane.. I removed the copper stock shim and used 2 of the provided plastic shim.

Last edited by SyncGuy; 02-14-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: More related info
02-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK, I'm looking at the focusingscreen.com list of screens for the K-r, which do you mean? I don't see a variation with an S anywhere in the name. I do see one under the K-5 screens.

Their comparison shots are really interesting. I'm having a hard time figuring out which would be most suited to me.
02-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh dear... I has just taken a look... It's gone.

Dont worry though! What I will advise you is to drop them an email and enquire regarding S-focusing screen for Pentax Kr.
I did that the last time I need it like 1 month back? And they replied me that they had, just not listed yet. Guess its sold out now. But they will make 1 if you enquire and then they will list it up.

I went through the same thing as you and "took a gamble" since it was cheaper and also due to a thread here somewhere.
Trust me on this, you will NEVER look back... Lightning strike me if you regret.. Haha!

The images on the site does not really tell you much. But basically it is like a plain matte screen with just the 2nd and 3rd bracket marked out, like the stock screen but minus the smallest small bracket that you see now. Don't worry much about it as like I've said, you literally see and can selectively choose by vision what to focus on in the VF..
02-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, and before you go around googling for it, I suppose you would be asking whether it will affect AF points. The answer is no, somewhat...

Why do I say that? Becoz you DO lose the AF dots that is on the stock FS, BUT those are just on the screen only. The red light AF confirmation and dots will still appear as per normal.. Unaffected..

There! All the answers you will need... Oh! And metering seems not to get affected, unlike a split FS... And ever since having it, Live View is pretty much obsolete to me.. Not that I ever use it before. Even more so now, coz the accuracy is down to the dot at even f/1.2..
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, not the answers I need, though. I have yet to hear from someone who has a Katzeye screen installed on a K-r.

Post #4 says Katzeye's Opti-Brite treatment is inferior to another brand's - but there's no explanation of that. Did Syncguy actually use a K-r with a Katzeye on it? That was what the post sought, after all - comments from K-r / Katzeye users.

Still waiting for those....

02-14-2012, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I have a K10D with the FOCUSINGSCREEN.COM installed and a K20D with the OPTIBRITE KATZEYE.
Both are good - the KATZEYE is better but costs more and I was happy to pay more!
02-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah.... Nope, I have used the Katzeye screen on my fiancee's Kr. Comlarison is done equally, both on Kr..
But I believe in practicality..

Some people says Katzeye is better, some says the one from focusingscreen.com is better. All in all, both will be better than the stock screen and both are pretty much the same. Keep the change to feed for other shopping spree. Besides, Kr screen dimension and K5 dimension is not similar. For me, I would want to upgrade to a K5 and I won't be able to "port over" the focusingscreen so might as well minimize my loss..

Oh Basset, I didn't say KatzEye optibrite was inferior... I'm saying it's more like a gimmick when compared to the S-screen..
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry if I misunderstood your use of the word "gimmick".....
02-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

OK, if I can toss a question into this: How much more difficult do these split prism and microprism screens make focusing when using a slower lens, or smaller aperture? This is one reservation I have, as I've read about them blacking out quite a bit (would love to see pics of this effect if any exist).
02-14-2012, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm... I dunno whether i can post up any links since i'm still pretty new here. but you can search on youtube for "Split focus screen" and look out for this short vid of it being used..

Live record of focus screen 01 - 300mm dragonfly side split focusing in action

Basically it gives you an idea of what might happen if you are using smaller apertures..

Think of this, composing/framing your subject OFF center... Nye-he-he-he.....

Now, how it will look EXACTLY like, on your Kr VF when you use the S-screen.

Search for this on youtube(Just cut&paste and it will be the first vid):

Wine & Candles - a racking focus test with the Canon EOS 7D

Edit: The above 2 videos are the closest "live" sample for your viewing.

Last edited by SyncGuy; 02-14-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Extra input
02-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you, sir. The third video of the first set definitely shows the blackout when the camera angle isn't dead on the viewfinder. Quite dramatic. I think I'll have to find someone local with such a screen, or cannibalize one from an old film body, before laying out the cash for a good one.
02-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's a pleasure my friend!

Say, don't bother cannibalizing.. LoL! It's just like buying a good manual lens. Can't say so for the KatzEye pricing-wise though.

Oh, if i am not wrong, the vid of the Canon 7D IS the S-screen installed.. LoL! Never really read the comments and ya-da ya-da... But yea!

Have fun and get addicted to it once you do have it! Don't say i didn't warn you... :P