Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Underexposure Issues with Kr?

Lately, I've been having some underexposure issues with my Kr. Has anyone else had these? If you have, any tips on fixing? I've tried different lenses with different metering modes and keep finding the same results. I've also tried the lenses with and without the hoods. No real difference. Still underexposed.

02-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi reivax
I think you need to post an example photo...
If your photo is of a white cat sleeping in the snow - that may be an example of what would cause an underexposure.
02-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also, what is your metering set on? I tend to use center weight and that fixes a lot of it for me. Then again I'm using a k200d and that generation of DSLRs tended to underexpose by 2/3 a stop all the time.
02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not the best example. I actually deleted a lot of the pictures because they were underexposed. This was taken on a sunny day at about 4 pm in California. A lot of the other pictures I took were a lot worse and the colors looked really washed out with the same lens that I used to take this picture.

02-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Also, what is your metering set on? I tend to use center weight and that fixes a lot of it for me. Then again I'm using a k200d and that generation of DSLRs tended to underexpose by 2/3 a stop all the time.
I used center weight metering on the Kr.
02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What lens was that taken with? The aperture used isn't in the EXIF, so I'm assuming it's a M series or earlier. Are you sure the lens is functioning properly for stop down metering? You should be shooting in M mode and using the green button to meter when using manual lenses. Av (which this was shot in) is frequently off by a stop or two with manual lenses, so underexposed shots like this aren't a surprise.
02-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
What lens was that taken with? The aperture used isn't in the EXIF, so I'm assuming it's a M series or earlier. Are you sure the lens is functioning properly for stop down metering? You should be shooting in M mode and using the green button to meter when using manual lenses. Av (which this was shot in) is frequently off by a stop or two with manual lenses, so underexposed shots like this aren't a surprise.
It's actually an m42 lens. Still learning how to use this particular lens. However, I have a tendency to get underexposed shots no matter if it's a DA, FA, or F series. They aren't always underexposed, but I do seem to get a lot more that what I'm assuming would be considered normal. I just don't know if I might have some setting wrong on my Kr, or this is just a standard issue with Kr's.

02-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for stop down metered photos, i always chimp and reshoot if necessary. The metering on my K300 F4 can shoot a little dark, but I'm usually in the ball park. A little bit of post usually fixes it up fine.

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hard to say. I went through a phase of this with mine, early on, but it must have been my (lack of) technique as I get much better results now, with a lot of room left for improvement of course.

The suggestion of using M mode and green button with manual lenses, including m42 lenses, is important. It's the proper way to use them. Some people insist on using Av, but they also frequently have to use EV compensation to counter its inaccuracy. That seems like a lot of unnecessarily missed shots and chimping to me, when the green button isn't inconvenient in the first place (IMO).

Regarding your newer lenses, it's harder to say what's going wrong. I take it you're shooting raw? What other settings do you use?
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure why the EXIF data didn't upload, but this one was taken with my DA 55-300. This is one of the worst cases. This was actually taken at about 6 pm in the summer, but it doesn't start to get dark in the summers until about 8 pm. Shot F-11, 1/500 ISO 400.

02-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
for stop down metered photos, i always chimp and reshoot if necessary. The metering on my K300 F4 can shoot a little dark, but I'm usually in the ball park. A little bit of post usually fixes it up fine.
Some post definitely helps the picture, but I'm hoping I won't have to do too much of that. When I "fixed" the exposure, lightroom added 1.65 to the exposure. That's a lot, isn't it?
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you chimp, cheat with the histogram (cycle info button while on photo review). 1.65 for green button metering is not that far off from my experience with K mount lenses. As for metering being off with your more modern lenses, consider what you are pointing the lens at... reflection of that water is bright light, and your camera will under expose so that its 18% grey / middle grey. Matrix would likely have done a better job metering there. Normally shooting center weight myself, I do on occasion come across situations like this, but then, I often bracket my shots - a very good habit to be in when you consider electrons are free, and deleting extra frames is easy.
02-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Matt's right, the water is correctly exposed so you need to be aware of the brightness or lack thereof of the subject relative to the background of the sky and water.

Option A (automatic)
This is a case of where you may wish to use the AE-L button to set the exposure on the houses rather than the bright water.
Basically, aim at the house over the road and click the AE-L button (assuming you don't have it set to auto focus mode instead)
Recompose the photo.
The water will now look really bright and the cars and houses will be exposed correctly.

Option B (guess work)
The way I would do it is to just dial in +1 exposure...
02-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So you guys feel that it's normal to get this kind of inconsistency with the camera's exposure readings? If it is, I can learn to work around it, I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with my camera.
02-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't call it inconsistancy - its performing as expected - exposing for a value of 18% is what it is designed to do. Notice the bottom left side of these screen captures.... the Histogram tells the story here. Camera is performing admirably.

I hope you dont mind, but it is the most direct way to explain what is going on and confirm that the camera is working correctly.

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.