Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone have a K-r with persistent front-focus issues and actually get it fixed?

My friend's K-r has been displaying persistent front-focus in both artificial and natural light, when shooting at wide apertures with a broad variety of lenses.

We sent it in to CRIS and they sent it back saying they'd calibrated it according to factory specs, etc, but it's still way off.

I emailed a contact at Pentax and got a boilerplate "Pentax Japan says..."–type response, persisted, and was told to send it off to CRIS again with sample photos showing the problem. Just wondering if there's any light at the end of this particular tunnel.

02-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have a couple samples showing the problem that you could post up? Maybe one as a default, and another with the AF micro adjustment maxed out? I'm amazed that they would send it back to you in a state where the AF adjustment wouldn't even be enough.
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I would think that global AF Fine Adjustment would fix that problem.

I'm pretty sure you would have already tried that, but I'd like to know why it didn't work.
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Setting the AF adjustment to -10 does help, but it's still off after that.

I'll post up some examples tomorrow after I take them for CRIS. :P

02-17-2012, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sent my K-R to Pentax service with the same problems that you describe. Pentax service had it for more than a month, but it came back improved. It still FF in tungsten, but really not that bad. In the first ten months that I had it, I got so many lost (blown focus) shots, that I really don't trust it, bad memories. When the people wanted to see the shots I took, that camera made me look like an idiot. I thought about sending it in, but I kept reading about what your friend experienced, that Pentax service sent it back with no repair. I thought that I would wait until it was close to the end of the warranty hoping that Pentax would figure out a fix. Sounds like they didn't. Perhaps it depends on who fixes it. I know in my line of work that some techs are better than others. I haven't tested the K-R very much since it came back, just some simple stuff, but it does seem much better. I'm still mad about my K-R, and really don't use anymore. The K-R 'turned me off' to Pentax, so much so that I researched switching, but the cost of replacing lenses was too much... I bought a K-5.
02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome more comments...

I rarely shoot under tungsten light so I can't say as to whether my camera FF's under those conditions. However, from what understand there is a program you can use to get into debug mode that will allow for further AF adjustments. It would be great if someone more knowledgable would comment on this though.
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

Last I heard, PK Tether could access the debug mode on a K-r, however, I have yet to try this.

I did have a front focus issue on my K-r (not sure if it was tungsten related) and sent it to Pentax Canada for service. A -10 value was not enough to adjust the focus previously, now a -3 or -4 works pretty good.

Note that was only with the kit lens so my DOF was never really razor thin to begin with.

AB

02-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I did adjust the focus on my Km (k2000) using the debug hack and it worked very well, I had stopped using the Km after I got my Kr due to its poor focus but now will start using it again rather than swapping lenses. I had to adjust it to a +16. I don't know what the limits are.

Hans