Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focusingscreen.com S Type Screen

Didn't mean to hijack the other thread...

I've just heard back from Focusingscreen.com and they now have an S type screen listed in the K-r section of the website.

I'm temped....

AB

02-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They only have it listed as 1 in stock. Might have shot yourself in the foot if someone else grabs it.

I would steal it off you, muhahahah, but can't afford it at the mo ...
02-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's always like that, only 1-2 in stock at a time
02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
It's always like that, only 1-2 in stock at a time
Ah I see, fair enough.

02-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A good screen IMHO. I used the FSL version before on the K20D and the K3 on the K7. Thinking of getting the S screen for my current K5
02-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Better grab it REAL soon as I will be buying another one for my wife in exactly 36hrs.. Haha!
02-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just bought it, but for my Canon 5D - which is the native camera for the EE-S. I can tell you it worths every penny! Focusing with my 1.4 lenses is so much easier now.
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just in time manufacturing...

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Better grab it REAL soon as I will be buying another one for my wife in exactly 36hrs.. Haha!
I believe that they make them as they are ordered. I ordered one last week and the stock on the website never changed from "1." Mine just shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get it.

02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

I want one but am still thinking about getting K5 guess I should hold off
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

FYI...

I just put a focussingscreens.com Type S in my K-r last night. Great results. Better visually in terms of focussing, duh. I didn't find it dark with an f4 lens. I haven't ried anything slower yet.

As far as installation goes, I removed the stock shim and, although I tried shimming, it wasn't necessary to include any shims with the final installation. The screen itself is thicker than the stock screen and looks to be an all around better part than the original. Focussing is spot on and I only tried it indoors under "tungsten-like" light with the white balance set to tungsten. I never had the FF under tungsten light issue, and although the screen won't impact the actual lens focus, there is no FF or no BF - just spot on. Lastly, these screens are not only better for manual focussing, but they accentuate the visuals for AF'ing as well, duh. Like others, I highly recommend getting one. These screens plus ME-053 magnifiers are great combinations to upgrade viewfinders.
02-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I wonder how hard is it to make screens like this and why Pentax doesn't have such screen in their products list. With all the MF lenses and backward compatibility with all old MF lenses, it's so logical to have these types of focus screen in their product line up.
02-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Costs I'm sure...

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I wonder how hard is it to make screens like this and why Pentax doesn't have such screen in their products list. With all the MF lenses and backward compatibility with all old MF lenses, it's so logical to have these types of focus screen in their product line up.
I believe that the S-types are made by Canon and intended as replacements for their 5D's. Given that 5D's sell for twice to four times as much as K-5's and K-r's, one might conclude that these screens are more complex to produce than the stock screens for Pentax DLR's. In looking at the stock set up on the K-r, you can see that the stock screen is thin and a thick metal shim is required. Probably cheaper to set it up that way than to produce a thicker screen with a more precise matte finish. I wonder what screen the Canon 7D uses as compared to the K-5, or what screen the Canon T2i uses as compared to the K-r.

I agree with you though. But maybe Pentax is moving toward EFV's and are concentrating on that technology? Either that or they think that what they provide is good enough, and only obsessively compulsive people would mess with it. Now, I need to go wash my hands and I don't like El Caminos.
02-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the S type from focusingscreen.com. I'll post back when it arrives and I get it installed.