Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Little bird video made with Pentax KR and cheap zoom lens.

So I wasn't too sure about the video capabilities on the K-R (I didn't buy it for that, it was just a nice extra tbh!) But I actually think this thing isn't half bad considering it's not really it's prime feature. I picked up some really cheap lenses this week (old second hand K mount) in a box for not much at all so went out to try this super paragon pmc 2 tele zoom lens on some birds at the local duck pond. I did find manually focusing outside on that little LCD screen quite taxing but I enjoyed the challenge! On board sound is obviously not brilliant, but next time I'll just take my zoom H2 out with me..

Just threw together my 'best' clips and made this video, so check it out !

Birds. - YouTube

02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice birdies, but so many rapid cuts I'm a bit dizzy.

One tip for you: You can muffle the wind noise on the microphone quite easily. There are numerous tutorials on DIY fixes for this, such as this one. I like the Velcro idea. There are also commercial products that do the same thing, but it would be cheaper and maybe more fun to DIY.
02-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hehehe, it is a little rapid, but I kinda liked that (it was also a sneaky technique to cut out all the out of focus shots !!) .. I'm tempted to add voices!

I'll definitely look into covering the wind sound, sound is my background to be honest so I was just being lazy here (and also just seeing how this thing coped outside!). I think you're best off with an external mic for serious audio capture because if you're not catching wind you're going to get the sound of the camera itself but I will definitely play around with it.

Thanks for your comments.

02-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

why not HD?

02-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
why not HD?
Hmm indeed, a good question! I did film it in 720p but I've obviously down sized it somewhere along the way (probably just in the export from the editor)

I'm pretty new to video stuff so I will try to have another go and make a repost. I'd like to remove that annoying border too ! :P