Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

PZ-20 lens with K-r ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I saw a used Pentax PZ-20 with 28-80 mm Pentax lens for sale.
Will this lens fit my K-r ?
What about Auto-Focus, exposure ?
Is this lens equipped with manual aperture ring?

Thanks!

02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes it will work just fine with the K-r.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

It has a manual aperture ring, and you can set the K-r to use a manual aperture ring, but you can only use it in M mode. If you keep it set to 'A' you can use the lens in any mode.
02-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The PZ-20 is an auto focus body, make sure the lens is also auto focus, Pentax made a lot of 28-80 lenses not all are AF

Hans
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for all.
I will purchase it. It's only $20 !
I'll keep you informed about this.

02-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Go for it. Just about any lens, even the really, really bad ones are worth $20, just for the experience.

If you're at all into macro, remember that some really junky lenses are really sharp when reversed... You can get a reversal ring or adapter (one lets you stick a reversed lens on another lens, the other directly to the camera mount) for $3-5 on Ebay.
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes! I'm waiting for an order from ebay for a reversal ring.
But what about sticking 2 lens together? What do you suggest?
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is the one I got, works fine. You have two choices, either get one that matches the two lenses you want to use (so if one has a 49mm thread and the other a 52mm thread, you get a 49-52 reversing ring), or you can use step up/down rings to make it compatible. I do the latter, as I play around with a variety of lenses. The bit of extra extension from the step rings doesn't seem to interfere at all.

02-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
What is the order you install the lens ?
ex: Camera box, 18-55 lens, 50mm lens reversed...
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A longer prime on the camera, a short prime reversed on it. You can get some pretty crazy magnification this way. For example, a 28mm reversed on a 135mm will get you almost to 5:1. Divide the shorter focal length by the longer one to figure out magnification, assuming both are focused to infinity. So, a 50mm reversed on the end of a 100mm would be 2:1 (nice round numbers to visualize).

Of course you can mix it up and try reversing zooms, or using a short prime reversed on a zoom lens. Behaviour of them gets less predictable that way though, with regards to working distance and such. Also keep in mind the effective aperture, using a slow zoom will cause some additional loss of light and might make focusing tricky.
03-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
HI!
I finally received the Pentax PZ-20.
However, the lens has a "power zoom". It doesn't seem to work with my K-r and I don't see how I can zoom it manually.
Do you have any idea?
Thanks
03-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There should be a Power Zoom switch. It seems that it was common for this to fall off.
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
Found it!
You have to push the zoom ring toward to camera to put it in manual mode.
Now everything works! Aperture, auto-focus! Cool!
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ S3rgio

I still have a Z-20 (in US it was named PZ-20). It not a bad camera at all, and specially good for people switching between digital and film Pentax bodies, as the handling is very much the same. This is much different to the later introduced MZ series, which are kind of "back to the roots" (in handling, the MZ-5 is roughly a Super A with AF, integrated winder and flash). As the PZ-20 supports Power Zoom, the lens will also automatically retrace to its shortest length when you switch the camera off.

@ boriscleto
QuoteQuote:
There should be a Power Zoom switch. It seems that it was common for this to fall off.
What's "always falling off" is the button+switch for the memory function. The power zooms can memorize one combination of zoom+focus and recall it.