Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buying chinese stuff is not always a good idea.

I have 2 different Chinese IR remote controls that used to work fine on my Pentax K200. They don't work at all on my Kr and the batteries are good. I was starting to believe that my Kr was defective but I tried a genuine Pentax remote F and this one works right.. I don't want to put all Chinese accessories in the same junk category because most of them are OK, I am using a Chinese battery, a few adapters and a bellow that work perfectly. i have compared the Chinese bellow to a real Pentax model and the only difference seems to be the weight. The chinese bellows looks cheaper but does the job fine. Now if i could get a GOOD 500mm Chinese telephoto lens, I'd love it!

02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use two different Chinese IR remotes with my K cameras and each has worked fine with the K-x, K-r, and K-5. Perhaps it would be better to say "Sometimes using OLD stuff isn't a good idea" - and less inflammatory too.
02-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We are NOT talking about OLD stuff here. Both Chinese remotes were bought less that a year ago and the last one less that 2 months ago. I didn't want to be inflammatory, sorry if you think I was. Take care.
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
krp
Veteran Member

I've also bought several IR remotes and they either eventually died or never worked consistently.

02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I've also bought several IR remotes and they either eventually died or never worked consistently.
The point is you can buy ten for the cost of one "authentic" one, so why bother getting a branded one, just replace the cheap ones when they die, you'll still be up after several years.
02-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I also bought a cheap one from dealextreme and it works perfectly. Just read the reviews before buying to confirm that they do work and stay away from those with no reviews
02-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
The point is you can buy ten for the cost of one "authentic" one, so why bother getting a branded one, just replace the cheap ones when they die, you'll still be up after several years.
That might work for some people in some situations. But if it is an item that would cause a lot of inconvenience when it died, rigidly following this advice, I should always buy two, test both, and carry both because it is only a matter of time before one dies unexpectedly.

There will always be the contention between quality and price - a walk I am willing to make based on my needs. This manufacturing dichotomy knows no borders (although I admit that China is notorious for lower quality). However, to turn the original poster's lament around, I object to paying multiple times the price for an item that apparently came off the same foreign assembly line, albeit with a brand name painted on. And I've seen that too.

02-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I had one remote, but had left it in my pocket when clothes went through the wash; it still worked for a while, but I guess corroded or something, and died a few weeks later. I ordered another one, which I misplaced so simply ordered yet another; found the original (in a pocket again no less, fortunately a coat, so hadn't been through the wash) so just put it in my camera bag as a spare, so I do have two available.

Both have worked completely flawlessly since I bought them half a year ago, aid I use a remote for 98% of my shots as I vary rarely shoot handheld. The original (two) that I bought are a multi-brand one, and I have tested that they also work on Canon and Nikon bodies which is kind of neat for something that only costs $5 shipped. The newest one I have is just a single button, I think similar to the real Pentax one; it's what I use most now, but I should really put it on a lanyard or something as it is easy to misplace. Anyhow, this one has had at least a thousand presses and is still working flawlessly, so I would happily buy more or recommend them to anybody looking.

I completely and utterly fail to see how Pentax can charge so much for something that is clearly trivial, and cheap to make.
02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
and less inflammatory too.
So what, if it is junk then call it junk, why sugar coat it.
I do not get the mentality of being willing to buy multiples of the same thing because you know they are going to fail. I rather buy one for a little more and expect it to last, instead of wasting natural resources on throw-away items.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I bought my K20D I also spent US$36.50 for a Pentax Remote F. I can't check right now -- it's packed and won't see fresh air for a couple more days -- but wasn't it made in China too?

It's easy to avoid buying Chinese stuff. Just make everything yourself. Stay out of WalMart, of course, and most other stores. At least most of my clothes were made in Malaysia or Honduras or Egypt, so I don't have to go naked. (Not a pretty sight, I assure you.)
02-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Just curious what will happen when you use it back for your K20D. At least some external falsh need newer FW to support new model like K-r and K5
02-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought a Chinese IR cheap remote ("Photon" RC-4) for my K20D. Worked for about a year and then stopped. Battery is OK. Here is how you can test an IR remote control:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/accessory-memory-articles/173084-testing-...ameras-lv.html

May buy another IR cheapie, but a cheap latching corded remote (Yongnuo RS-802) which I also got off eBay actually suits me better.

Dan
02-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I bought IR Remote they was so cheap i got five at £1.80 per unit , the first one still going strong and i have no problems with it , also got a cheap AA battery holder for £4 another great bargain.....you get what you pay for but sometimes you do get a great bargain!
02-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've got so much good, cheap, direct from China stuff in the last year. Much of it photography related, some odds and ends of computer hardware and gadgets, too. Step rings, reversal rings and adapters, flash diffusers, +dioptre lenses, etc. Various cables, connectors, adapters, USB hubs, a PC remote, fans, whatever else, and very rarely had an issue with any of it. To give credit where it's due, the few times I've received items with issues, they were quick to refund it, and without expecting the broken item back. One time out of a batch of about ten items, two failed, and they refunded the entire order. It was nuts, but I wasn't going to complain.

Chinese Ebay sellers are awesome, as long as you're a little bit selective about which you pick (check feedback, which is SOP anyway).
03-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #15

I was actually searching for remote issues, and am quite releived to have found this thread.

I bought one of the cheap ebay remotes, from Hong Kong in actual fact. It works, intermittently. I thought there may have been an issue with the camera.

For example; I could set up the camera for remote control shooting, and it will work. I could go to take a second shot and it won't. I'll keep pressing the remote and eventually one will fire off. Holding the remote right up to the remote sensor at the front of the camera doesn't change things. Then maybe it will operate as it should for another while.

Having read this thread, it seems unlikely that the camera is at fault, and I should try changing the battery, or replace the remote. So thanks guys