Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r with Sigma 400mm

Hi,

I recently acquired a Sigma 400mm F5.6 MC. This is one of the shots I got with it last weekend (I have more, but not posted/processed yet)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/38991-rocketman89/albums/4636-roc...cture38887.jpg

I am wondering if I'm being too critical...or...? Is this too soft? A typical thing to expect from this lens? Just looking for a few opinions. Other photos I have uploaded were taken with the kit 18-55mm, my avatar (shot of the moon) was with the kit 55-300mm.

(as in the ones in the gallery here. Photos Posted By rocketman89 - Pentax User Photo Gallery)

02-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran it through noiseware denoise and cleaned up some of the high ISO noise, using the default settings... Your image is (C) so I wont post, but if you care to provide an address by PM I'll email it to you for review. It is MUCH improved after denoise.
02-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rocketman89 Quote
Hi,

I recently acquired a Sigma 400mm F5.6 MC. This is one of the shots I got with it last weekend (I have more, but not posted/processed yet)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/38991-rocketman89/albums/4636-roc...cture38887.jpg

I am wondering if I'm being too critical...or...? Is this too soft? A typical thing to expect from this lens? Just looking for a few opinions. Other photos I have uploaded were taken with the kit 18-55mm, my avatar (shot of the moon) was with the kit 55-300mm.

(as in the ones in the gallery here. Photos Posted By rocketman89 - Pentax User Photo Gallery)
I see it as a depth of field issue. Long lenses wide open have a depth of field in inches. Looks to me like a center weighted focus that did
a pretty good job of holding both the face and most of the musical instrument.... Ifyou want to check for sharpness, pick a flat scene such as a side of a building.... What I see here is a depth of field challenge inherent in long lenses.
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
It's a manual focus lens, so it was my "best tweak" on the ring as I was handholding.

02-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Matt - thank you for the updated image, that DID made a difference!
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Matt - thank you for the updated image, that DID made a difference!
Would you mind posting what Matt did for our own edification? Thanks.
02-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
With thanks to Mattt. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/38991-rocketman89/albums/4636-roc...cture38897.jpg

Does anyone know if Lightroom does a similar sort of noise reduction?

Last edited by rocketman89; 02-21-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: changed link.
02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It appears to be slightly front-focused.
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Designosophy, but that is likely the result of hand held manual focussing more than anything. I personally find focusing K300mm F4 a real challenge with the K-r stock view finder - and Live view is not realistic handheld IMO. The Sigma 400mm F5.6 wouldn't be much better.

I normally choose to stop it down from wide open to about f6.7 or f8, and jack up the ISO. I comfortably hand hold down to about 1/150s.
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Banned

where the actual focus is, id say is pretty sharp (that being the violin in front of your subject instead of her face) so I would say this is a case of misfocus, not a problem with the lens. and to answer your question on lightroom, yes it does have similar denoise capabilities if you have the latest version. in fact lightrooms denoise is considered to be very good. I use it myself.
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all.
To answer another question (posted in the gallery with the photo, but still) the shot was handheld. ISO was 3200, F5.6, shutter was 1/40. Very slight crop on the photo.

The depth of field was a bit tough to get just right. I seem to struggle a bit with the K-r saying it's focused (nice little red beeping box) but the focus is _just_ off a bit like on this photo.
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks all.
To answer another question (posted in the gallery with the photo, but still) the shot was handheld. ISO was 3200, F5.6, shutter was 1/40. Very slight crop on the photo.

The depth of field was a bit tough to get just right. I seem to struggle a bit with the K-r saying it's focused (nice little red beeping box) but the focus is _just_ off a bit like on this photo.
I know what you mean.You can't fully trust the focus confirm light when focusing manually, IME. I started out with a K-x, and I found it difficult to focus manually. I switched to a K-7, and the larger viewfinder was helpful. I now have a K-5, and I find that live view is great for manually focusing lenses from normal to about 135mm, but is impossible at 400mm, handheld (at least for me).

Edit: I just noticed that you said the shutter speed was 1/40. That's pretty incredible.
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
I started taking photos with much ...shall we say, less exotic...equipment. The K-r is my first SLR and has so many more fun controls and tweaks.
I became decent at fighting for some effects on a prosumer point-and-shoot. I haven't mastered the balancing act that the DSLR gives me. I didn't even think about bumping up the shutter speed, I've just gotten used to holding still!