Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do tend to use a tripod (Benbo trekker) when going out to take photos, but when going out to these engine I normally have one of my own, so thats a car load of, engine, fuel, tool, food and camping gear, the tripod is low down on my list to get in the car, so it would be nice to have a camera that was half decent in low light for when I dont have room for the tripod.

I have read mixed reviews on the noise on the camera, all the pics I have seen have had great noise levels at higher ISO, but so review dont rate it?

On the video, the video I have seen has not been to bad, plus anything im going to video makes a lot of noise any way a little rumble could be mistaken for a engines bearings :lol, the problem with my video camera is its not mac compatible, and I don't have the cash for 2 systems, as I would like to go back to a SLR over a Mirrorless camera.

Il see how I get on today

Cheers, Steve

02-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Folks sure don't seem enthusiastic about the k-r. I normally dont have much to add in the forum but I have to say I love mine! The pic quality is very good and the high ISO perforis amazing especially if
you shoot raw. I, too, love how it feels. It is much more solid feeling than most entry level cameras. And of course there are the legacy lenses. Never used the video.

AF performance seems to vary with the lens but it is fast enough for me.
02-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been out to try one today against the D3100 and 1100D, and in the camera shop, under tungsten light I found the K-r the fastest for focusing, over all was impressed, just need to sell my G1, video camera and 35mm EOS1!

Cheers Steve
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
Wow. Folks sure don't seem enthusiastic about the k-r.
Oh indeed no question it's a brilliant DSLR for it's range, for stills and low-light it's great! Think just a bit of confusion over the fact the OP mentioned video, which sadly, it's not renowned for.

02-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well....had a try of the competitors again today, Nikon D3100 came in a close 2nd for me so bought a Pentax K-r twin lens kit, came out the best value.

Had a quick go on the video and i dont really see the issue, for a camera of the price its idea for what I need, I can point it at the boy film for a min then stop, memory captured!

Low light - had a go taking a picture of a spark plug in my shed light with one bulb, 1 the macro is great for a kit lens! much better then the G1! and can get up to 1600 with out noise, 3200 is still usable.

Very please so far, off Cornwall soon to give it a good try out on some old engine houses, might take a trip to the old dynamite works to retake this shot. (sorry for rubbish quality, had to download off of FB, original is on film.)

Thanks for the help and advice, though looks like I ignored most of its , but it should be fine for my needs!

Cheers Steve
02-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #21

Congrats, you'll love it!

So, thought about manual lenses yet? Let the LBA begin!
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez let the guy have it a week before we start luring him to the dark side

Congrats and enjoy!

02-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
Geez let the guy have it a week before we start luring him to the dark side

Congrats and enjoy!
I was thinking the same. LBA is inevitable now, but like many illnesses, it often has a brief incubation period before taking over.

Steve, congrats on the K-r. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine to date.
02-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SHMBO wasnt best pleased, she said the guy in the shop said it was £429..... But that was with one lens dear....

So got to sell off the G1, EOS1 35mm and my Camcorder to bump the saving back up

Very please with it so far, not getting a chance to take it anywhere at the mo, just messing about inside with the boy, seems to be doing well, need to explore the manual settings a bit more!

Need to give it a few months cooling period before getting any lens, boss would kill me! I do quite fancy a flash gun.

Sorry LBA?

Cheers Steve
02-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Lens buying addiction. You'll know it when it happens.
02-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks, the only lens I quite fancy ATM is a decent Macro lens, but in no hurry, the kit lens are good enough for me at present.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can report back with good news from my Cornwall trip.

Edit* oh a spare battery might be a good idea!

Cheers Steve
02-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You can get aftermarket Li-Ion batteries on Ebay for about $7, which is substantially cheaper than the official ones. They might not last quite as long (but they also could, some reviews have been favourable), but at that price you could pick up a couple.
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Hmmm just come back from a mates place and he has some old pentax k mount stuff down his place cant remember what there was, 135mm F1.4 comes to mind...

Waiting for a message with what there is.

Cheers Steve
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried the Video out and needless to say im pleased!

Will do exactly what I need!

Cheers Steve
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Been given a Pentax M F2.8 28mm K mount, should provide a little fun! Will report back how I get on!

Cheers Steve