Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thinking about a K-r after a little Newbie advice

Hello,

I thinking about upgrading my current camera and video camera solution into one neat package, the Pentax K-r has peaked my interest as I think its one of the best looking, seems nice a fast, and the pictures seem to be of a high quality.

I looking for a camera 1st video camera 2nd as I only use it for quickly filming the baby (soon to be Babies 1st ones 9 months next on due May...) or my other hobby, my engines.... at the moment I have a JVC HDD video camera which isnt HD (not bothered with HD either) and the video format isnt supported by my MAC so pain to import things! so I end up using my Wife’s Sony compact, Here is the kind of things I take.

JCV Camcorder

Sony

Is the video of the K-r hold up to these? as that is as about as good as I need, any better would be a plus!

Back to more import things, at present I have a Panasonic G1, which has been a brilliant little camera, its was my 1st Digital Camera, while in college I was using a 35mm T90 and later a 35m Canon EOS1 (bother 2nd hand still have EOS1) so was a little apprehensive before switching to digital, I cant knock the little G1, apart from the expensive and limited lens choice, and the B+W isnt all I was hoping for, maybe I just never learnt to use it right, plus the it might be me but the photos dont seem so good as when the camera was new, could just be me being mad
How does the K-r stand up to the G1? is it worth buying one as a upgrade into the DSLR world? one of the reason im looking is I would like to start taking B+W again, and some engine pictures.

The engine pictures need to be fairly good quality as I submit article to a Magazine for the hobby (I know could feature as a Guest Publications on Have I Got News for You) as a fairly fast camera would be great!

I think I got all my question in there somewhere....to Summarise

Is the Video as good as my links?
How does the K-r compare to the G1?
Is it much of an upgrade?

Sorry for the complete newbie questions, still fairly new to the world of digital so please be gentle with me!

Thanks for your patients

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 02-21-2012 at 03:36 PM.
02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If video is your thing you might want to wait and see what Pentax has in store for the K-r replacement. If it has the same internals as the K-01 video should be much better.
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No video is just a nice to have, it would be a camera 1st, video camera as a if and when, be nice if its as good as the above.

Cheers Steve
02-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

While it's not out yet, but announced there is also the K-01 which Pentax just announced and is spattered all over this forum with lots of yapping
about its lack of an optical viewfinder. Like a lot of the cheaper cameras you can see what you shoot only on the 3 inch screen on the back of the camera

this gets rid of the penta prism, and a flopping mirror that hangs down behind the lense in the view mode and dthen jumps out of the way when you take a picture.

the reason I mention it is that you seem to be sort of a movie guy, and it will probably do movies better than the earlier Pentax products and apparently is designed
so that you can set it to directy output H.264 Codecs--- a format ready to use...... Apparently switching from taking Stills to movies is no more complicated than
pushing the red button ontop the camera.

the K-01 was only announced a week or so ago, and it may be a couple of months before anyone gets their hands on a production model.... but
you might read the stuff on it.... ---

02-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for the advice the lack of a view finder would be no good for me, cant get on with it, had a compact for a week before taking it back for a G1, as said come from Canon T90’s and EOS1’s.

I dont know where this Im a video person over a camera person comes from, maybe I should have put the camera question 1st? Yes I take some videos, but nothing with great production values, as said it would only be used for engines and baby shots to send to family or share with the engine community, so great productivity is not a priority, I just need it to be able to record something and be of viewable quality on youtube, if its as good as the sony its a plus side. The all in one package is a plus side and gives me better leverage with the boss.

As said above its going to be a camera 1st, as enthusiastic amateur photographer (even got my A Level and City in Guilds ) that is trying to break in the digital world after loosing the use of a dark room, The Pentax seemed the best of both worlds, but looks like im a videographer

Cheers Steve
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some K-r footage... not on highest quality setting. I doubt I've taken more than.... 15 minutes of video maximum.

Shot with the DA 12-24 preset to ~4 feet focus distance and F11 I believe

02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that, it dosn’t seem to bad for the amount you are moving, I wouldn't be moving around like that, far to much like exercise! most video is done on a tripod.

Cheers Steve

02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K-r, I have a K-x, but the video at 720p is almost the same. (The only difference is 1 fps).

A short clip in bad lighting and poor acoustics.

A short clip in better light.
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is great for pictures, if that's your main use for it. For video ... meh, not so great. Low light is pretty noisey, and while you can "cheat" your way to lock settings in video mode, theres no native video controls for iso/shutter speed etc. If video if something you might want to get further involved in, something like a Cannon t2i/t3i or a Panasonic GH1/GH2 would probably be better.

Things to note - No battery grip for the K-r. It's smaller than most DSLR's so maybe go and try one out at a local store before you buy. Accessories (flash guns/wireless triggers etc) seem to be a bit harder to find/less compatible than nikon/cannon versions. And there's no external external triggering port for flash or shutter, and no native tethering

Hell, you probably don't even need any of that, but just be aware of it

The K-r has also been discontinued - so if you're not in a rush, a new version may be announced soon-ish.
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could be tempted to wait, but would like something sooner the later, and I cant find anything set in stone for K-r replacements.

Thanks for the info on Flash guns will look into that.

I dont like the lower end Canon stuff last one I picked up seem to feel quite cheap, suppose Im used to the well made T90, would be 1100D or 500D for a similar priced Canon in the UK (well from what I have found) not sure what they are called else where, but they dont seem to match up to the Pentax in the Image department.
Not really looked into the Nikon range, I had a F601 for a while was ok but my mates last Digital one I tried I didnt really like.

Cheers Steve

02-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Poped into my Local electrical store (Currys) had a look at the entry level DSLR’s on offer in my Price range:

Pentax K-r twin lens kit £499
Canon 1100D twin lens kit £449
Nikon D3100 £449
Sony A35 £429 (would say this is my 2nd choice after the Pentax ATM)

Really dont like the new Panasonic G3!

The Pentax felt the best in hand out of the lot, Not much bigger then my G1 just chunkier (good for me big hands short fingers) though couldn't turn any on, being a cattle market kind of shop they just interested in the sale and used to people coming in just to buy, so will look out for a local camera shop with better customer service.
The Sony is 2nd choice at the mo as the High ISO performance is not as good as the Pentax.

Cheers Steve
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #12

G3

The K-R sure offers a lot for such a cheap DSLR and I agree with you, it feels superb in the hand (and to my eyes also looks nice) but I would'nt discount the Panasonic G3 out of hand;

It has an updated Jpeg engine (from the GH2) which renders better colours should you wish not to shoot raw. It has a very nice 16mp sensor with a weak AA filter ... very good detail retrieval. ISO performance is as good as M3/4 gets (perhaps not as good as APS-C but closing the difference and there is now a reasonable lens selection with some superb optics. - The contrast AF system is also reasonably quick, not Pentax DSLR fast but plenty unless you predominantely shoot sport and perhaps more importantly, it is accurate in most situations.

I can fully understand why you would go Pentax K-R, it is good value for money but the focusing issues have put me off it personally. I've seen a fair few examples of badly focused image taking in low or artificial light. I am sure the camera is not always to blame though.

regards
02-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for the info, I didnt like the look or feel of the G3 in hand.

Most the low light stuff I take it slow moving, or not going to move, unless it can unbolt itself and grow legs
I would like a improvement at low light cant remember if it was 600 or 800 ISO level I get a fair bit of noise with the G1, even though it wasnt that dark in there.

Off to try out a K-r tomorrow, will compare against the Nikon D3100 and Sony A35 which I think is the only other 2 I sort of like, though the noise correction in the Sony is poor.

Cheers Steve
02-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For pictures like that last one, a tripod will work wonders for you. As you say, it isn't going to sprout legs and walk away, so tripod, remote shutter release (or 2 sec delay), and longer exposure will let you keep the ISO down. That's true of any camera, of course.

I've compared the D3100 and similarly priced Canons like the T2i, both hands on, and still think I made the right decision to go with the K-r. Wish I could have afforded the K-5 for the weather sealing, but maybe in another year or so I'll upgrade.
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
I'm personally incredibly disappointed with the video performance of my K-r. My old P&S (Canon Ixus 80) was vastly superior, even though not HD. It gave cleaner video, and the audio was much better. K-r's in-body mic picks up rumble from the SR, but even disabling it still has a weird hum it's picking up from somewhere. And worst of all, it has no mic port to just put an external one on. It's a brilliant camera that beats the competition's entry level offerings as an SLR, but if you want video you should be looking elsewhere.